Join Strat-Talk Today

Vox AC4C112 Review.

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by The-Kid, Jan 18, 2019.

1. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Tried one out at GC today this is what I found.

The amp was fresh out of the box as I was looking for a practice amp for my even bigger practice amp the Ac15C1. As great as the AC15 is its a huge amp in a little package that weighs close to 60 pounds.

I just wanted something smaller, that could get as loud sound 80-90% same and easier to carry.

Carrying this sucker to the demo room I found it was quite light maybe 25-30 pounds and easy to carry.

Pass the first the test.

Playing it and pluging in I found it stayed quite at both clean and louder volumes paired with a Maxon OD808 they had at the store. Wanted to try it out with an OD to really open it up and I have an 808 and TS9 at home to so its very familiar and I know what sounds to expect when matched with a Vox.

The clean tones are pretty warm and fat. Dialing up the master and bringing back the gain really gives a springy yet warm tone. Really touch sensitive and responds well to pick attack

Dialing up the gain it gets really gritty just like the Top Boost side of the Ac15. Paired with the OD808 the tone is fat, creamy and tight. Was surprised how tight the sound was even at louder volumes it actually retained tigthter tones than the Ac15.

Volume wise......

You can get some fat clean tones at a higher volume by letting the amps volume all the way up and the gain at 3-4 oclock. Very jangly and "BEATLES" or "Crosby Stills and Nash". Very warm, articulate and just a pleasure. Suave tone great for Jazz and country.

Dialing things up especially paired with the TS you can get instant Queen, SRV, Hendrix tones. What I loved about it especially at louder volumes was that it still retained articulation practically no muddiness unlike other 5 watt amps Ive played it really retained the low end and the top end was not overbearing and rigged .Really retained the smoothness and articulation and higher volumes which is something that Im after. It also handled higher gain a little better than the bigger AC15.

Overall very impressed and plan on getting one soon....

In fact put it on lay away and getting it within the month.

Its the cream color one.

While its not exactly 100% the same tone as the Ac15 it gets roughly 90 percent there and performs 100% great.

Plan on upgrading the 112 stock Vtype with a proper Celestion Greenback as soon as I get it to push it to its full potential but stock I was quite happy with it. If I love itt stock can only imagine after it gets a Greenback. Really puts a grin on my face.

I really prefer it to the AC10. The AC10 sounds great at low and medium volumes but when pushed it just turns to mush and falls apart due to the ten speaker.

The sound, quality and most importantly function sold me. Uncomprimising big sound....light weight package

Doesnt have the tremolo or reverb like its bigger brother but the it definately has the Vox tone is smaller package. Sounds great at low bedroom volumes but ost importantly sounds even better at those higher gig level volumes wich is what I was after.

Wasnt really looking for a "bedroom" amp. What I was looking for was an amp in a small package that gave me roughly the same tones of the bigger AC15 but easier to carry around to be able to play at open mic or practice with a band.

Yeah its bedroom friendly but more importanly for me its gig ready.

Great amp and totally recomended for bedroom, band practice or gigs. This and one or two ODs is all one would need, sound great, and not break your back when your moving it LMAO.

Well thats my review.

Rob Moreno, BlueCajun, dswo and 4 others like this.
  2. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

I've been looking at 1 of them as my "1st tube amp" but I was wondering about the speaker...8" aint it ?

The-Kid likes this.
  3. Jesse414

Jesse414 Strat-Talker

Great taste. I have the blue ac4 with ten inch I fixed it by building a nice big 16×20 cab stuffed with a wgs. And it sounds huge now:D I think u will be super happy with it. Have a wonderful day:)

The-Kid likes this.
  4. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

the ac4c112 has a 12" speaker. not the same thing as the ac4tv.

The-Kid and Bob the builder like this.
  5. heltershelton

i put a greenback in mine, tubed it with tung sols, clipped the c6 and c20 caps, and drill two 2" ports in the back. its a killer little amp.

The-Kid likes this.
  6. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Great review … thanks !

7. The-Kid

Yeah totally recomend this.

Really improved over the older ones. Bigger speaker, two 12AX7 and 1 el84. The addition to an extra 12ax7 gives you the Top Boost tone in spades.

The earlier ones were great as they got a good Normal Channel tone. But the jangle is in the Top Boost IMO.

Really gets a nice jangly or warm clean tone and really brings the Brian May tone in an instant paired with a TS to push it. Great SRV/Hendrix and blues tones in general as well.

As said excellent at retaining your notes and definition when pushing the sucker to 11.

Some may say it doesnt have enough headroom....dial back the volume knob on the guitar and there you go. IMO offered more than enough.

Tone controls work like a charm.

By itself its a pleasure but recomend at least one or 2 ODs for best results. If your not a gain guy not needed but really opens up with a TS type OD or anything else I imagine.

Heres what it looks like. Really wanted the classic black version but this all they had near me and would rather play and buy than order online. Looks nice either way.

[​IMG]

fattboyzz and Bob the builder like this.
  8. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

Yeah I went back and looked after heltershelton told me about difference. I'm gonna have to dig in to this a little deeper.
    I ain't ready to buy yet. But Im thinking around summer I'll be.

The-Kid likes this.
  9. The-Kid

Dont plan on doing the clip mods as I like the tone stack as is but definately will add the Greenback for added low end and that midrange woody growl and extra warm sparkel.

The stock speaker is not bad but I can only imagine it sounding even more awesome once I upgrade it with one if I already love the stock tone. Overall the stock tone I must say is not bad but a little flat to be honest and me being me I just have to put a Greenback in there for the extra mojo.

Did you do full tungsol pre amp and poweramp?

I bought some extra 2 sets of TungSop Preamps for when I pick it up.

10. The-Kid

Awesome!!!

Vox brothers!!!

11. heltershelton

yep, all tung sol. i had an exh el84 and mullard preamp tubes then put the tung sols in. i couldnt hear a difference between the stock tubes, the mullards, or the tung sols. anyway i have backup tubes, lol.

The-Kid likes this.
  12. heltershelton

mine looks like a little robot now, lol
    ports.jpg

fattboyzz and The-Kid like this.
  13. The-Kid

With those dog ears....lol

But yeah did you do the Greenback change after or before clipping and either way what was the impact?

14. heltershelton

it took some fizz off at lower volumes.....at higher volumes.....absolutely nothing.

15. The-Kid

Dont hear fizz on mine.

Great crunch. Good tracking, articulation and tight bass lines.

16. The-Kid

@heltershelton also regarding fitting of Greenback, did you have to change position of transformers or was it an easy fit?

17. heltershelton

it fit right in with no problems.

The-Kid likes this.
  18. heltershelton

@The-Kid .....those greenbacks take awhile to break in....it probably wont sound all that glorious when you put it in.....but it will after some play time.

The-Kid likes this.
  19. The-Kid

Usually does but well worth it, thanks man!!!

20. The-Kid

Anyone else try one of these. Seeing reviews at Telecaster Lawyers and Doctors Club Forum....... I have to say all those guys are either tone deaf or just Fender Deluxe Reverb fan boys.....or both.

Stock this amp is pure cream and glass, super warm and jangly cleans and IMO the Top Boost on clean and OD are spot on to the one on my bigger AC15C1 with a bit less headroom and earlier brake up but totally the same ballpark tone.

I actually like it better than the AC10. For 80 bucks more....if the AC10 was much better I would get that but as it stands this is more affordable and IMO sounds better and more spot on to the Top Boost on my AC15 than an AC10.

Really surprised at the crap reviews out there. IMO its practically the AC15 in a smaller package and in some senses handles gain a little better. Tight bass notes, great highs, fat and warm tones. For me it hits all marks.

I like blasting amps and vs the AC10 for example this amp just beats the hell out of the AC10 in every way. Better jangle, doesnt turn to mush when pushed to OD or louder volumes, retains substance at louder volumes even better than my AC15 in some cases....and thats saying a lot folks, spot on Top Boost OD tone just everything I wanted and loved about the AC15 in a smaller lighter package.

I could understand if one were talking about the earlier AC4s but thanks to the added extra 12ax7 and 12 inch speaker and Top Boost tone stack, it brings the Vox AC tone and then some.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.