Vox vs Fender Blackface - helpful ways to describe the sounds

INRI

Strat-Talk Member
May 5, 2022
Norway
Hi guys. Would it be helpful to describe the sounds the following way: Fender Blackface is like a blank sheet/canvas upon which you can build your sound using pedals - in that the sound is very refined and tidy. Whereas Vox is like a crude piece of precius mineral that already has a sound of its own, but that you can further shape your own sound out of using pedals?

What do you think? Too intuitive? Its hardly an accurate description I know

Stevem

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 3, 2014
NY
Don't take this the wrong way as it's just my observation, but maybe you have missed your calling and you should be a writer in the advertising dept of a wine company and not a guitar player .
Your wasting potential practice time conjuring up stuff like this !

Last edited:

AxemanVR

I appreciate, therefore I am...
Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Minnesota USA
`
Life is like a Photograph... although a Photograph can be photoshopped to make it far more realistic than Life.

BUT!

While Life can't be photoshopped, it can be served with a fine bottle of Chardonnay.

Too vague?

Life = Blackface Fender
Photograph = Vox

Now THAT'S intuitive!!!

🤣🤣🤣

`

Last edited:

Mike Manhost67

Strat-Talker
Jun 9, 2020
Hi guys. Would it be helpful to describe the sounds the following way: Fender Blackface is like a blank sheet/canvas upon which you can build your sound using pedals - in that the sound is very refined and tidy. Whereas Vox is like a crude piece of precius mineral that already has a sound of its own, but that you can further shape your own sound out of using pedals?

What do you think? Too intuitive? Its hardly an accurate description I know

Now do Fender Vs. Gibson :)

Intune

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
Isn’t this the same guy that started the tone fingers thread? Like mentioned, not to be a ass but I’d definitely get out and play more to help you on the tone quest. Get that down first and the gear will fall into place. Also loose the pedals at first. Get a amp nice and clean, that will help your technique.

Miotch

Most Honored Senior Member
Jun 28, 2011
ok
Depends on which Fender blackface and which Vox.

But I don't need pedals to make a good Fender sing and I love adding a couple of pedals to an AC30, too.

RL21980

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 10, 2014
Somewhere in the Ford Galaxy...
Isn’t this the same guy that started the tone fingers thread? Like mentioned, not to be a ass but I’d definitely get out and play more to help you on the tone quest. Get that down first and the gear will fall into place. Also loose the pedals at first. Get a amp nice and clean, that will help your technique.

This.

Get a Princeton Reverb and play it dry for awhile. Most unforgiving amp ever. It's a humbling experience. You'll definitely know what to work on.

Intune

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
This.

Get a Princeton Reverb and play it dry for awhile. Most unforgiving amp ever. It's a humbling experience. You'll definitely know what to work on.

My jam buddy is a awesome player. Not a heavy pedal guitar guy and mostly plays acoustic, 90’s cover tunes. Got into electric guitar. Picked up 59 bassman reissue. He had to learn to play all over again. He couldn’t believe how much he sucked, as he put it. He didn’t it’s just it is such a clean amp that you really gotta work that strumming hand.