Walter Trout tonight

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by StratSounds, Mar 21, 2019.

1. StratSounds

StratSounds Senior Stratmaster

He’s been on my list for awhile, looking forward to a blues barn burner tonight.:thumb:

xland, CigBurn, dante1963 and 2 others like this.
  2. SurfsUp

SurfsUp Senior Stratmaster

He should melt face! I saw him in Buffalo a number of years back and he blew our heads off!!

Enjoy and post pics if you can

StratSounds likes this.
  3. StratSounds

Already pre-gaming on my strat at tube testing volumes and having a couple double IPA’s. Better pace myself, show doesn’t start for three more hours! Will do on the pics, now back to pre-game.:D

4. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

Enjoy!!!

StratSounds likes this.
  5. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

I'd like to see him myself

StratSounds likes this.
  6. hornpiper

hornpiper Senior Stratmaster

Nice. Walter Trout is badass. Should be real good. Anybody who graduates from John Mayall U. is going to be an ace. Mayall only has top notch guitarists at his side, and he has a reputation for that to uphold. Another really good player I like is Coco Montoya. Tasty. He and Walter Trout were both in Mayall's band together for a number of years back in the 80's. Unfortunately, never saw that edition of the band live, but that had to have featured some awesome back and forth soloing, and friendly guitar dueling.

StratSounds likes this.
  7. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    Saw him about 15 years ago. Unbelievable what he does with that old strat and a Mesa boogie amp.

StratSounds likes this.
  8. Dalendl

Dalendl Strat-Talker

I meet him many years ago. A friend of mine ran a radio station and he invited Walter to come and do a live segment from the broadcasting booth. He interviewed him then had Walter do a live acoustic tune on the air. I got to sit in the booth and watch the whole session. It was a blast. Later that night we had front row seats in a small club where he and his band were playing. Yes, it was cranked. Awesome show.

StratSounds likes this.
  9. Deebs3

Deebs3 Strat-O-Master

Yes I saw him with John mayall and Coco Montoya, just awesome, the Behind the Iron Curtain LP with this lineup is just awesome too, (crappy sound though)

StratSounds likes this.
  10. StratSounds

Here you go. Not the best photos @SurfsUp , but I hope you and others enjoy. Having never seen him live before last night, I can wholeheartedly say that Walter Trout is a true force of nature on a Stratocaster, and yes, he is decidedly still melting faces! I’m still trying to scrape mine up off of the floor this morning.

Never mind the guy’s age and the health issues he has dealt with, I’d put him up against any other player out there right now. The speed, the technical precision, the tone, the feeling...it’s all still there. I’ve witnessed some serious live guitar pyrotechnics in my day, but damn, Walter just doesn’t [email protected] around, from the very first song to the last, a true inspiration. He’s the kind of player that makes you wanna pile all your guitars in the backyard and break out the lighter fluid and a match, ha! Ok, not really, I’m gonna go practice now. See him again right now if you get the chance. So good.

FEB54B17-5C42-4CBC-ACF9-3CDBE53393CE.jpeg

DF6DC99C-248D-473B-A281-7738E4D87301.jpeg

EDAFB0F6-6FC3-4A17-A716-B5DC2FF31029.jpeg

BBE60586-61CE-419D-BC04-8344731FB06F.jpeg

11. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    I saw him in a tiny club in Indy called The Slippery Noodle. Probably wasn't 150 people there and it was like "an evening with" kind of atmosphere. Treated us all like friends.

StratSounds likes this.
  12. StratSounds

He came off as a genuinely nice guy who’s just happy to be alive, considering what he’s been through, and very honored to still be playing guitar for a living. He told lots of stories between songs about John Mayall, Rory Gallagher, and many others he’s played with.

Before the encore, he made a very sincere pitch for everyone to consider becoming an organ donor. I think we’d all do the same if we’d been the recipient of a liver. The joy came across in his playing, explosive, expressive, genuinely happy to still be doing what he does. Great show.

13. Deebs3

Deebs3 Strat-O-Master

I think he's also a great songwriter, his albums are all solid and just great stuff.

StratSounds likes this.
  14. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

I'm a fan. Saw him twice at my local club before he was hospitalised. Unfortunately he's switched promoters so he won't be returning, I probably won't see him again.

StratSounds likes this.
  15. Dalendl

Dalendl Strat-Talker

Looks like a good night!

StratSounds likes this.