want another guitar for blues,,ES or LP style?

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by jwmtele, Jan 5, 2017.

1. jwmtele

jwmtele Strat-Talk Member

i want to get another guitar to play blues,,more like in the style of the 3 kings,BB,albert,freddie,,thinking of getting a es335? copy or a les paul copy,what would you think would work the best? i love my strat but would like to play something else for a bit.Oscar Schmidt has a Oe20 and Oe30 i am looking at for not much cash
    thanks
    jm

liltimmy likes this.
  2. liltimmy

liltimmy Senior Stratmaster

Epiphone 335 all the way. Find a used one on CL, they are all over the place in new condition for about $300. They are great instruments for the money. If the pickups don't work for you my recommendation would be some used 490r Gibsons in the bridge and neck both. They can be had for cheap since everyone is always saying "57 classics". The 490r are the actual BB King Lucille model pickups. I had one in my 333 neck position but swapped both pickups for 57 classics for marginal, if any, improvement because everyone said 57 classic. The 490's have great air to them and can be had about half the price of the 57 classic. One of these days I am actually going to do just what I'm telling you since I have a spare 490 already and could use a backup axe and one for taking to jams and such.

Careful, you may not want to play your strat much after that, lol. 335 into just about any Twin Reverb is the classic BB/Freddie King blues tone. Volume 10 Treble 10 Middle 3-4 Bass 2 is the BB King setting. Both pickups on, adjust guitar tone and volume controls to taste. You will dig the sound. For Freddie remove all Middle and Bass to the lowest settings. These are great guitar/amp combos because no pedals are needed. A great gig rig and the one I use. You could easily obtain this combo epiphone 335+490s+a master volume silverface vintage twin reverb for about a grand total out the door. Your blues tone will hereby dominate and all you will need is those deceptive BB licks! Best on your tone quest, the waiting is worth the destination!

Uncle Jimmy likes this.
  3. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Senior Stratmaster

A Twin Reverb on 10 can be heard three counties away. That's not really practical nowadays for most folks who aren't playing arenas or living waaaaay out in the country by themselves.

OP, the Oscar Schmidts get good reviews. Given what you said, I'd probably choose the OP30 and whatever Fender tube amp (or similar -- you want clean-ish and warm) you can afford.

4. liltimmy

You say it's not practical. How often have you gigged with a 335 and a cranked twin? Cause I do that everywhere I go. I play tomorrow night, come on down and have a listen. Bring your ear plugs. In your haste to condemn the legendary cranked twin you missed my post "guitar volume adjusted to taste". Most of the time the guitar volume is not on 10, but the amp is. Part of the BB/Freddie tone is not usually a full tilt overdriven twin, just close to it. Also, you can throw a shield up in front of it and mitigate some of the bite the audience would otherwise receive, or put a guitar case in front of it. I play small and medium clubs, almost never get a complaint that putting a guitar case in front of the speakers didn't fix. Most of the time nothing is said, cause it sounds good!

5. rabbithowls

rabbithowls Senior Stratmaster

For a semihollow i love the Ibanez as and am line, for an lp style the Agiles are absolutely the best value around.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

stratnutz, wildhawk and liltimmy like this.
  6. wildhawk

wildhawk Most Honored Senior Member

Wow! Realllly nice.

rabbithowls likes this.
  7. gvaldez216

gvaldez216 Senior Stratmaster

Blues is in your fingers, not the guitar.

KeyzNFretz and liltimmy like this.
  8. foodscientist

foodscientist Strat-Talker

First let me say I think you should get the Les Paul. Second, I was in your position before christmas, but specifically had my eyes set on a Les Paul style guitar. So my first thought was "let me shop around for the best feeling Epiphone Plus Top Pro I can find and buy that @ $549.00".

So I set out to do just that and started visiting all the stores in my area trying them out. Most of them had obviously never had a setup, while a few played nicely with decent action. The standout characteristics that made some feel better than others (other than the setup/action) was that some had grindy feeling frets, and some had a very coarse feeling rosewood fretboard. So I would look out for that if your going to go the Epiphone route. BUT WAIT!

I saw an ESP LTD EC-256FM Lemon Drop hanging on the wall and was intrigued. It looked gorgeous, I had no idea LTD was making a Les Paul ripoff, as I thought LTD's were all just metal guitars and came with EMG's. So I grabbed it off the wall and played it, within about 3 seconds I was completley sold.

You NEED to try the LTD EC-256FM out before you make a decision on an LP style guitar (if you are going that route). First off, the frets on the LTD were not only jumbo, but they were impecabbly done for a guitar of its price ($399.00). The fretboard is also a touch flatter (13.77in radius). It was also setup dam nicely right out of the box (and most of the ones I've played at other shops have been consistent).

It also had a coiltap option just as the Epi LP does, but the single coil tone coming out of the LTD was much nicer and fatter sounding. The guitar was also a but more comfy to play as it is a touch thinner, and has a small belly cut. But, it is is not chambered as I think the Epi LP's are, so even though it was thinner it still feels very solid. The balance of the guitar sitting and standing is great.

Basically, what I'm trying to say, Ha, if you can't already tell, is that the LTD 256 absolutley smoked the Epi in every category. PLEASE try one, I've never been this happy with a guitar before, and it is $150.00 cheaper than the Epipihone LP Plus.

Here is a pic of mine, and a close up of the fretwork. It comes in a few other colors, Trans Green, Sunburst, and Black. I ordered mine sight unseen from an online retailer, as the one I liked in my local store had been on the floor and was banged up. The one that arrived at my house was even nicer than the ones I played in stores (and they all played nicely). So, these guitars are consistent, Epiphones I feel are not.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

joe_cpwe likes this.
  9. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Senior Stratmaster

One word: "339"
    Either Epi Or Gibson should do the job.

10. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

If someone in the audience at one of gigs needs earplugs, you are playing too loud. Surely that's obvious? You should be playing for the benefit of the audience, not your own gratification that you have "great tone", even though it's too loud for the typical punter.

11. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Senior Stratmaster

I've never owned a 335, but I've gigged with a Strat and a Dual Showman, and I got away with it (mostly) 25 years ago but I'd be leery of trying it now.

12. gvaldez216

gvaldez216 Senior Stratmaster

I have 2 335s and none of them feedback. It's a solid center block.

13. liltimmy

Opinions. When I'm the audience enjoying a rare night out, I want loud. You are playing too quietly. When I'm in the audience I will demand you turn up. You will oblige because you are supposed be pleasing me, not yourself. You play the way you THINK the audience enjoys it, from YOUR perspective. That's fine and well. I play the way I think the audience will enjoy it, from my perspective. That means loud, because I believe the audience enjoys loud. And heck yeah, it's for my gratification. If you don't like it there is always the piano bar or the public library. We mostly play loud here around Austin TX. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

He who dares, wins. I saw Paul Walker on 6th street a few months back ripping it full tilt with a strat through a Showman and 1x15 JBL cabinet. I couldn't help but compliment him on his tone because...it was awesome. If it was good 25 years ago, it is good today. Dick Dale still sounds great with his insane volume levels. It's part of his show, which would suck if he showed up with a 15 watt blues jr, lol

14. jungle faced jake

jungle faced jake Strat-Talker

I sold my Heritage 535 almost 20 years ago now,still miss it.

Plus one for the Semi!

liltimmy likes this.
  15. BadBrad

BadBrad Strat-O-Master

I like the Ibanez semi-hollow guitars a lot, too. I have an AS-153 that I bought used. The fretwork is incredible, and it can get a very versatile range of tones, especially with the extra 3-way neck p/u switch.

16. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Senior Stratmaster

Any guitar can be used for the blues. The three kings had very different guitars. For the tone you are looking for you need a couple of PAF style humbuckers and a tube amp that gets a decent crunch at whatever volume level you normally play at. The shape/style of the guitar isn't that relevant to what you are looking for so find a guitar that you are comfortable with. Install some good PAF style pickups. Then take the guitar with you while you shop for an amp.

KeyzNFretz and lineboat like this.
  17. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Phil Keaggy's tone in Glass Harp came from an LP with 2 BlackFace Twin Reverbs with SROs.
    That's loud and sounded heavenly.
    He didn't want to turn down (duh...) so the answer was to turn the amps facing backwards and throw moving blankets over them, solved.

Facing the speakers rearward must have been an Ohio thing, he wasn't the only one that did it.
    Joe Walsh did it and Neil Giraldo still does.

liltimmy likes this.
  18. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

For (non-Strat) blues tone I have a V and P90 SG.

19. mad axe man

mad axe man Senior Stratmaster

epi korina v hqdefault.jpg

liltimmy likes this.
  20. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

that's one reason I have an LP and a Strat, pretty much covers everything I need.

well, a tele would be nice. and a new acoustic. and...

Mansonienne and Tone Quest like this.