Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Want to build JHS kit soon, Q's

Discussion in 'DIY Effects Forum' started by jaybones, Dec 3, 2017.

1. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

The main thing I'll need is a soldering station. Right now I'm making do with a generic big box pencil type 110V iron. Setting it across a coffee mug (or in it) when its on.

It came with a cheesy stamped metal stand that I had to bend into place, but it was more trouble than it was worth. The coffee mug works better since I can put the handle on one side and the business end on the other, with the guard sitting in the center- much easier to pick up and set down and harder to knock out.

I'm wondering if those butane irons are any good. Don't really know how they work, if they're instant on or anything.

And from what videos I've seen of electronics being manufactured it seems they have little tiny tips that feed solder out when they push them onto the PCB.

2. Bodean

Bodean You'll shoot your eye out kid Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    Just my 2 cents. For a lot less than what you would spend on a station you can get a 25 watt and a 80 watt Weller and have all you need to solder electronics in a guitar. If you are not using one daily it is hard for me to justify a soldering station sitting around collecting dust. With the 25 I have a smaller point for small jobs and the 80 has a broader tip to do the pots. You can get 40 watters on Ebay with 3 tips for 15 bucks. You can't buy the tips for that.
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=401411632718