Join Strat-Talk Today

Wanting to get into using more pedals

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by Arkanstrat, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Arkanstrat

Arkanstrat Strat-Talk Member

Looking into getting a few more pedals. I currently have a TS9, running through a Hot Rod Deluxe IV. I play a lot of blues, rock, country, and contemporary christian music. What would compliment the TS9 in regards to quality tones for the above mentioned genres/styles of music? Thanks in advance for any help.

hornpiper likes this.
  2. hornpiper

hornpiper Senior Stratmaster

To me a Strat and a Tubescreamer were made for each other, and a HRD is a great amp and so-called "pedal platform" to plug them into. You have a real good, classic start there if you're getting more into pedals. I'm a fan of the MXR Carbon Copy Delay. Barely on it fattens up the sound just a little bit, and gives it just a tad bit of "atmosphere". It's subtle but I like it, and to my ear it's warm, and doesn't sound processed. Adjust it more and you can get the Rockabilly slapback sound, or get into the Edge territory if you want. It's versatile.
    Another classic I have on my board, but don't use much anymore is the Boss CE-2 Chorus. They quit making them a long time ago, but there isn't a better sounding Chorus around to my ear. I got mine in the early 80's I think, when Chorus was all the rage, but turned on just a little bit here and there judiciously, for a little added fattening, or atmosphere on a song or part and it sounds great. Fortunately, Boss now makes a copy of the original called the Boss CE-2 "wazacraft". I bought one used for a great price a couple of years ago or so, and it sounds great, so close to the original, it's really hard to tell. It also has a switch that the original didn't, to offer another very slightly different Chorus sound if you want.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    lineboat and Paperback Rocker like this.
  3. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

4. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Duh-lay

Electgumbo and lineboat like this.
  5. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

i find chorus, delay and overdrive/distortion covers a lot of ground.

and i have a tremolo and reverb built into my amp but they make pedals for those effects also.

old BOSS multi effect units are usually dirt cheap and have almost every pedal effect they make built into them. it is a fast, easy and cheap way to find out what you might like before buying a bunch of pedals.

Bob the builder likes this.
  6. nederemer

nederemer Senior Stratmaster

Your amp will have reverb or I would suggest that. You've got overdrive covered. Next would be delay for me.

7. dbolt

dbolt Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

What you already have covers a lot of ground. As another has said, I would need a delay.

8. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Strat-O-Master

OK… I’ve been redoing my pedalboard (6 pedals in all, very reasonable…) so I’m a bit excited about this. What follows is hopelessly TMI.

1) DELAY. I’ve recently discovered just HOW MUCH you can do with a delay pedal: “doubling” to thicken the sound, faux chorus and flanger, Scotty Moore slapback, airy lead tones à la Gilmour, dotted eight madness…. This would be my #1 addition to your set-up. My pick would be a “Swiss Army Knife” like the TC Flashback, used. If you are more specific in your tastes, and want vintage flavour, you could get a good tape delay emulator (a Binson clone for those Pink Floyd tones… or a real vintage tape delay if you want to spend 2k ;)). Or a classic analogue delay: Carbon Copy, Memory Man, …

2) More dirt! If you want more in the dirt department, I’d suggest a higher gain pedal, and one that goes better than a TS into a clean amp. I’d go out to try a Rat, a Zendrive, a DS-1, or an OCD (or respective clones: Mooer makes good ones). The three of them give you great full-on sounds, and also surprisingly great low-gain tones.

If you want different in the dirt department, there are low-gain pedals that I prefer to the venerable TS. Klons (including the Soul Food) for honey-sweet edge of breakup strat tones, and great clean boost. Bluesbreakers (Mooer’s Blues Crab a cheap and good offering) for general “crunch” and light OD tones. Both are fixtures in my pedalboard.

3) Modulation. Last I’d suggest: tremolo, for those great swamp tones. And no: that’s one thing you can’t emulate well with a delay. If you want to go all psychedelic and Floyd-WYWH era, get a Phaser. Comes in handy for 70s country and Van Halen, too…

(Reverb you have in the amp…)

EC Strat-boy likes this.
  9. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

Take @henderman's advice
    Get a inexpensive multi fx to play with for a little while. You'll find what you like without wasting a bunch of $$$.
    I started with a zoom gx sumthin sumpthin for about $70 before setting up a board. Wonderful learning tool.
    Spoiler..
    Since getting the katana my board lives under the couch and the only thing on the floor is a tuner & looper
    Of course "I think" your 1st and most important pedal should be a tuner.

Nate D and henderman like this.
  10. EC Strat-boy

EC Strat-boy Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

+1 on the Zendrive - best OD pedal I’ve ever had.

A Klon or a Klon clone is a great idea too- Tumnus, Soulfood or Sugar drive. Amazing how much flavor they add to your tone.

And I’d go either a Germanium fuzzface or a Big Muff.

11. Wxman2000

Wxman2000 Strat-Talk Member

A good compressor is a good start

33db likes this.
  12. Arkanstrat

Arkanstrat Strat-Talk Member

I appreciate the advice from everyone. I have some research to do now!

13. lineboat

lineboat Senior Stratmaster

2B61A177-D418-4A95-BEDC-AEB722DF80BE.jpeg Less is more IMO, and I could actually do with only part of these. This is small, easy to transport, works with any of my 3 main amps, and works with my Strat, Tele, or LP. If forced to pick only a few of them, it would be the compressor, the ERD, the 78 Distortion and the delay.

14. circles

circles Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Although I lust for very cool pedals, I'm still good with a delay and a wah.

15. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

I am not a big pedal guy. I like the amp as unflavored as possible. Then again, I'm not a studio player or trying to play many different genres of music. Still, the question I would ask would be the same: "what, if anything, is essential to building your sound?".

Stratoskater likes this.
  16. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

I went 30 years with a multi effect unit and recently just got back into pedals. I was never a big fan of delay per se. I mean I hear two U2 songs and novelty wore off. But I’ve discovered how just a touch of delay can fatten my sound and love it. Just a touch. A smidgeon. A tad.
    I also run just a touch of compression when playing a clean sound.

But my most important pedal is probably my A/B/Y. Just a passive Morley I bought used for $20. And that’s because I run a dry amp to my left and my rig with effects to my right. Two amps can sound 4 times as good. (Mileage can vary; do not use if pregnant; do not use heavy equipment when taking; do not carry wallet into music store while taking; may cause hyperactivity, drowsiness or, in extreme cases, sudden and extremely painful death; use only as directed).
    Downside is you have to have a second amp and room to set them up.

17. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

You realize this will lead you down the pedal rabbit hole..... You'll watch That Pedal Show on YouTube and decide you need a wet/dry rig. Then start scheming on how to get an effects switcher, then need bigger board......

But have you thought about a different amp... like maybe a tweed Deluxe 5E3?

18. Bera

Bera Strat-Talker

BTW, This week´s episode of "That Pedal Show" is "tips for your first pedalboard". Very interesting!!

19. 33db

33db Strat-O-Master

20. Wxman2000

Wxman2000 Strat-Talk Member

^^ I do agree here. I bought quite a few pedals over the years and while I do enjoy them, I sometimes like a nice and simple set up. I recently bought a 5e3 clone as mentioned and I couldn't agree more with this point. Since getting it and using it over the past month or so, it has me debating on selling many of my pedals aside from just a couple of the basics (wah, compressor, tuner, etc.). I really wonder if I need multiple dirt pedals, etc. anymore after getting that 5e3.

Just a thought and a second opinion regarding a new or new to you amp.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.