Warmoth Strat ?

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by Moose500, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Moose500

Moose500 New Member!

Anyone think building a stratocaster from scratch is a good idea !?? Seeing as warmoth have a fender• certificate ..?

2. Ramblin'man

Ramblin'man Strat-O-Master

A lot of users build there own. Scratch means to make from raw materials. Warmoth is pre-made. Assembling a guitar from parts is a great way to get to know how everything fits together, and how to make adjustments. All-in-all you will learn a lot about your guitar and yourself in the process. These are skills you can use all your life as you continue to play guitar. Good Luck and take your time and you will be rewarded with a good finished product.

3. fenderkev

fenderkev Most Honored Senior Member

I built and owned a Warmoth Strat for 1 year. Great build quality and stunning looks (see pics'). Loaded it with DiMarzio Areas and it sounded great too. Despite 5 different Warmoth necks, numerous high quality tuners, Graphtech and Fender bridge saddles, the darn thing wouldn't stay in tune. I eventually gave up and bought a Gibson Les Paul Studio, and a MIM Std Strat. Both play as well as the Warmoth, but stay in tune perfectly. I'll let you make your own conclusions, as to what I think of Warmoth partscasters................

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. simoncroft

simoncroft Still playing. Still learning! Silver Member

Greetings forum member from Croydon! If we're talking that place you have to drive through between the London Road and the Brighton Road in SE England, I lived and worked there for many years.

All the Warmoth necks and bodies I've come across have been very good quality. (In fact, if you download a copy of the Fender License Agreement to use their neck shapes, it states that the products must be "equal to or better than" the quality of the Fender originals.)

I have two guitars that are part or all Warmoth woodwork. The one below is a class job that was put together by a pro luthier in the US from Warmoth parts and imported by me into the UK.

But I have played some Warmoth-based dogs where the 'assembler' hasn't put in the work required to make a top-notch job. One in particular used unfinished Warmoth parts the guy decided he could turn into the finished item using coarse sandpaper and some DIY-store products. (Including some Ronseal for the neck...)

Whether you get a great guitar or not is about the care and skill that goes into putting it together.

Attached Files:

5. Pinkboots

Pinkboots Strat-O-Master

By the time you buy quality components you aren't all THAT far from Ron Kirn territory. And I know what I'd rather!

6. wrvond

wrvond Senior Stratmaster

Assembling your own guitar can be rewarding, for sure. One thing it is NOT is less expensive. You can buy a brand new MIA for the same, or less, money than you'll have in a Warmoth strat. So it has to be about your control over the guitar's configuration and the fun of it.
    As Pinkboots pointed out, you can get a very nice guitar from Ron Kirn for that kind of money.

7. ryunker

ryunker Senior Stratmaster

I am still in the middle of a warmoth build. My strat body (two piece walnut) developed "witness lines" at the glue joint just as mia strats do shortly after the finish was done. I purchased a new fender mia compound radius neck which fits in perfectly, better than any I can see at local guitar shops.

I am certain my finished strat will have more cash invested than any production strat. I have had the guitar together and strung before I started with wood finishing, and stayed in tune, and felt grand. I did choose not to use any tremolo, but a hard tail string thru body bridge.

Currently the body is re-stripped and will start refinishing next week. I believe the "witness line" thing is from moisture difference in the two pieces of wood, body was built in mid June, I have to believe the moisture in the pieces of woods will be even by mid November.

Hopefully by the end of the year...

8. tonyw

tonyw Senior Stratmaster

My Chambered Baritone i put together and finished by hand with 30 coats of Tru Oil. The wiring i have done is something special as well. Warmoth chambered strat body and Baritone neck...
    [​IMG]

My Rory Gallagher guitar without the relic work..

Based on a 57/62 Idea i had in my head, Warmoth neck.

[​IMG]

My wiring and Sliders Vintage Classic pickups before his prices went through the roof

[​IMG]

I put all my guitars together these days have done for quite a few years, but i still find a few to add to my collection usually Vintage.

I havent got time to mill bodies and necks so buy them , although i do have a 52spec Tele body in the shed i cut and routed myself.

Would rather spend my money getting some relaxation putting my guitars together than someone doing it for me.

I wind my own pickups these days, and like guitar making you dont do it to save money you do because you enjoy it.

9. Ape Factory

Ape Factory Strat-Talk Member

I've built one entirely Warmoth guitar, a Telecaster, and it's wonderful. Super stable, easy as pie to bend with 10's, just a great guitar overall. The benefit for me was I could order everything to my specs and I did something quite different. I also took the time to take it to an exceptional luthier for a nut, fret level and final setup. I tweak the setup as I learn the guitar over a few weeks.

My second and third builds were done at almost the same time with different specs. Warmoth neck with a Fender body on one and an MJT body and Musikraft neck on the other. Warmoth isn't the only game in town but their quality seems very consistent. I really enjoyed building all of them and experimenting a bit as well.

In the end, the guitar is only as good as the final setup including the frets and nut. All of them will need a fret level by a qualified luthier who truly understands what he/she is doing.

10. Moose500

Moose500 New Member!

Is there a possible way to make a 63 replica from warmoth parts?

11. fumbler

fumbler PhD-Stratology

Their "Total Vintage" neck and "Vintage" strat body would be a very good way to get the ball rolling.

But Warmoth only makes the wood stuff so you'll have to do your research and get the other parts elsewhere.

Like others have said, it's not going to be cheap; especially with import duties in the UK. You might want to investigate more local suppliers. There are lots of folks in the UK who like to create piles of sawdust.

12. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

Nope.. the parts aren;'t exact replicas of those Fender was making in '62

rk

13. AlexJCRandall

AlexJCRandall Senior Stratmaster

A 63 replica is getting into custom built territory. If you just want a vintage oriented strat then warmoth is OK.

B.Hefner does more 'year-specific' body and neck construction, and they even have a Braz r/w option (or they used to).

But replicas define a much higher level of accuracy than just getting a guitar with more vintage appointments.

14. simoncroft

That is very good advice, as there certainly are some very good builders here in the UK. My nearest guy is David Crozier David Crozier Guitars for Guitar Repairs, Vintage Guitars, Used Guitars and New Guitars -
    David Crozier Guitars
    and he works five minutes from where I live.

But, if you want to import guitars, or parts into the UK, here's my tip: The total duty you will pay is 30%, and it is charged on shipping as well as the goods themselves. So, when possible, either get the seller to pay the shipping, or get them to bill you for it separately so that it's not on the invoice with the goods.

I would avoid seller offers to send false invoices showing low amounts for the items themselves, though. The guys in UK Customs know more about guitars than most of us ever will – and what they don't know they check with top dealers and collectors. So don't think you're getting a 58 LP sent to your door on a $1,000 invoice. If you do, they will get a top dollar estimate on the value and charge you the duty based on that.

15. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

That sounds unduly pessimistic. I have found the total charges to be around 24%. 20% is VAT, & customs duties, Parcelforce handling fees etc. bring the total up to around 24%. But you're quite right that it's 24% on top of the total paid including shipping.

16. simoncroft

Apologies, I've just checked at import duty on commodity code 9207901000 (electric guitars and basses) is 3.7%. Then there's 20% VAT on top of that, bringing the cumulative total to 24.44%. I'm pretty certain I paid more than that when I imported a Warmoth guitar from the US though. Perhaps I had to pay a handling charge to the courier for prepaying the duty.

17. studiox19

studiox19 Strat-Talk Member

I've built a couple of Warmoth strats about 4 years ago. I don't think my import charges were as high as 24%. Difficult to recall though.

The great benefit is that you can build the guitar to your own specs. I ended up with my choice of:

body colour
    body wood
    neck wood
    pickups
    electronics
    tuners
    orientation of the truss rod access (on the heel - which beats all other design)
    type of tremolo system
    type of frets
    neck radius
    etc. etc. . . . . . .

If you suffer from the slightest form of OCD, researching and putting this thing together will be heaven :p

It also means you get what you want. The two that I built play exceptionally well and are certainly the stablest guitars I have. Strangely, I do still prefer playing my 2014 Commemorative Strat, though.

If I had Fender custom build my requirements (and they couldn't do it all because they don't offer, certain, important design corrections), it would cost me 2 to 3 times the price I paid for the Warmoths - including import charges. But, the Fender would hold - if not increase - it's value over time, compared to the Warmoths.

18. Tony Ounsworth

Tony Ounsworth Strat-O-Master

I've built a few Strats including a Warmoth which is still in progress. My advice would be that above all else you should have a clear vision of what it is that you want. I failed to do that with my Warmoth build, and flip-flopped on necks, pickguards, pickups, decals, you name it. At the moment it's with a friend to re-wire for a Master tone and volume with SD Stacks, and then I'm calling it done. It'll look like this:

[​IMG]

It's been really expensive and I've learned loads about what NOT to do. Basically I didn't have a clear idea for the design other than that I wanted to build a cool guitar. That is not the way to do it! Hopefully I'll be able to start playing it soon and will be happy with it, but it's been a long slog!

On the other hand, I built this one from Fender, Mighty Mite, and Callaham parts. I knew exactly what I wanted it to look like, and it came out 100% perfect:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So basically I would advise that you should know exactly what you want before you start, otherwise you will be just chasing your tail and spending more money.

Another point about Warmoth necks though - they don't finish the frets, so you'll need to have the ends dressed.

19. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    The one on the right was an all Warmoth guitar I picked up at GC for $199! Chambered body with an ebony/Paduok 59 profile neck. I sold the neck for $285 and stole the neck from the Squier SE on the left. Couldn't be happier.

[​IMG]

20. Darkcyde

Darkcyde Former Member

Im pretty happy with my latest. I like building from scratch, but I cant really work rosewood anymore due to the toxicity of the wood dust. (allergies) So I looked around for a company that could give me what I wanted. Warmoth came threw just fine. Super tight neck joint that was accurate. Very even pressure from the neck all the way around in the neck joint with no visible gaps. Its finished with the exception of some DAllen pups.

Attached Files: