Join Strat-Talk Today

Warning: Rant about relicing

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by EFlat, Nov 19, 2015.

1. EFlat

EFlat Senior Stratmaster

First new guitar was a $30 Teisco Del Rey. It was so horrible I can not even say it was a proper guitar. After a couple months the thing would not even tune and the neck had warped so bad the action had risen to a state that I could not fret the guitar if I could tune. When I finally upgraded I could only afford an old beat up Gibson ES125 T. The thing looked horrible but at least it played nice. But, I still envied my friends who had nice new shinny guitars. Almost all my guitars were old battered bought used guitars. I did not get my first new name brand guitar, an acoustic Guild, until 1986. That was 20 years after buying the Teisco Del Rey.
    This is the reason I never understood the appeal of relic guitars. This brings me to my reason for starting this thread. I have become interested in buying a Fender Post-Modern NOS Telecaster. I was looking at Fender's price sheet for this guitar (http://support.fender.com/library/2015/2015-Fender-Custom-Shop-BW-Consumer-Price-List.pdf) and see that the relic version costs $350 more than a non-relic one. I have no interest in buying the relic version, but still, $350 more for a version that looks old and beat up? B. T. Barnum would smile.

2. ripgtr

ripgtr Most Honored Senior Member

Not taking sides, I don't care what anyone else uses.

But, in the early 90s, I stopped gigging my old '60, cause it was just so beat up. I could afford a nice stage guitar and went through several. A beat up guitar at a dressy gig just didn't look right (and yea, I even had a tux back then, for tux gigs, which paid really well, lol).

It's funny, I have a '60 es330, the finish on it is great, and I have had that even longer than the strat. I wouldn't ever think of dinging it up on purpose (I did a couple good dings to it I still cringe on).

My old strat used to be a beat up old guitar, now it is a fashion statement. Which is ok, since I am so far from being a fashion statement myself ...

Stark likes this.
  3. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth breathin' knuckle dragger Strat-Talk Supporter

I've never understood the appeal of asparagus...yet people still buy it.

I used to feel almost the same, but I played several here at Rainbow and to me they feel more comfortable...a little broke in. Now...I prefer the closet classics. Unless it a Les Paul...I would sacrifice one of my huevos to have a Les Paul from Historic Makeovers...cork sniffery claims be danged.

Stark and mshivy like this.
  4. montemerrick

montemerrick Listening to something, that’s for sure Strat-Talk Supporter

5. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Whose B.T. Barnum, P.T.'s brother?

6. EFlat

EFlat Senior Stratmaster

Doooh!!!!!

7. EFlat

EFlat Senior Stratmaster

Actually I don't care about what other people use either. And I would not mind a real vintage guitar. It's more the extra $350 dollars that has me shaking my head.

8. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I take good care of my the guitars for sure. They are never abused and always kept in adjust/maintained/properly repaired condition. I understand they have seen some use and will get even a few more bumps and bruises, so I do not freak.

I think a guitar is one of the few things that can look extra cool with some battle wounds. I think it is that they say "This thing really does get played and there are some good stories in this things history"

When I buy a used guitar, those dents and scratches mean I'm going to pay less for it, everything else's price is to a large degree dictated by the condition, so I personally will not pay extra for relicing.

I also think a lot of the turn off to relics for some is because most are not believable looking, they don't have that real character, no one likes a fake, IMO.

9. EFlat

EFlat Senior Stratmaster

10. abnormaltoy

Don't be thinking impure thoughts about Mrs. Petrie

Danomo likes this.
  11. EFlat

EFlat Senior Stratmaster

One night back in the 70s I sat on bass in with a band for a set. I used the the regular bassist's vintage 50s telecaster bass. I have to say the neck felt as good as a well worn in pair of jeans. So I can get the 'feel more comfortable'.

12. Bad Monkey

Bad Monkey Senior Stratmaster Gold Member

I'm not here to argue or to change anyones mind...people like what they like and there is nothing wrong with that.

But I will submit this....

Doing a quality "relic" job...one that is believable and fitting of the instrument takes HOURS of work...people like to make jokes "just drag it behind your car for a few miles"...I can assure you the process is way more intense and intricate than that.

You'll pay a computer technician $90 an hour for him to work on your computer...so in that regard...$350 seems like chump change...for the hours they put into it...they are probably charging you a little less than $10 an hour to do the relic job.

13. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

As I've said a number of times, most people don't "get" relicing.

Until they play one.

mshivy likes this.
  14. Stark

Stark Still an idiot Strat-Talk Supporter

Relic elitism? :D

15. Strat-Slinger

Strat-Slinger Senior Stratmaster

I've never liked the "relic" thing... for me... the relic process is by me playing it.

Maybe I'm a little freaky but, I actually LOVE how brand new spanky's feel and play.. and damn... a nice THICK poly finish on the neck is righteous, too... nothing against Nitro... I like those also... but, I really LOVE those THICK Candy-Like Poly's :twisted:... O.K.. I digress...

Nothing is more satisfying than how the guitar "Breaks In" from me playing it. It's like an adventure... that has a happy destination you arrive at.

The guitar gets broken in to my personal specs... in the most natural kind of way... To each his own :)

16. Stark

Stark Still an idiot Strat-Talk Supporter

Ehhh - if people want 'em, more power to 'em. I'm the sole owner of my '57 AVRI, bought new years ago when I was 16. I just turned 45 four days ago and all of the wear and tear on her reflects playing it that long, but I don't care if someone dumps a ton of money on one that looks like it was left in the weather for years.

17. tmcgee

tmcgee Strat-O-Master

You've obviously never had fresh asparagus. ;)

18. abnormaltoy

Don't hate on me man. Actually...my wife grew some one year. Way too much trouble. Next time, I'll give my helping to you.

19. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man Strat-Talk Supporter

I planted some 3 years ago....I got a feeling there not gonna come up. Plus they make your pee smell funny anyway.

20. BarryR

BarryR Senior Stratmaster

Custom Dent Service.

Are you tired of that shiny dent free car? If so you have come to the right place. We will install dents, sand the paint, crack the windshield and shove grit down the intake manifold. We offer a lifetime warranty, should your car ever look or run like new again we will fix it at no additional cost. That reliced look can be yours today for only $399.95. Mouse droppings available for an additional $19.95.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.