Watched "Sound of Metal"

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Dadocaster, May 2, 2021 at 1:00 AM.

1. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

this evening since I see people discussing it. Typed up something for FB friends and then found this short piece that noted all the things that were bothering me while watching that movie:

https://www.acialliance.org/page/SoundofMetal

cranky and The-Kid like this.
  2. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Senior Stratmaster

I thought it was way overhyped for what it was purely from a film perspective.

I thought the ‘music’ played by the guy and girl was possibly the worst I’ve ever heard in my life too.

3. of this world

of this world Strat-Talker

when i saw the trailer, i immediately wondered about your take on the movie... obviously its an interesting topic, but i'm glad to read this and enter into watching it better informed.

amstratnut likes this.
  4. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Yeah, I thought it was kind of a weak point that the music was not more compelling.

5. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Well, I know jack about addiction, thankfully don't have that particular predisposition but the main character did seem to have some kind of defining traits that rang true.

Having gone through some of the same stuff, incrementally rather than all at once, I thought the portrayal was great with regard to rage and confusion and all. It's a horrifyingly scary thing to lose one of your senses, doubly so hearing for a musician. Without letting myself off the hook, I can say that marital troubles for me did roughly coincide with changes and difficulties in my hearing.

The disappointing thing was that the whole process of the metal dude getting cochlear implants was compressed and very very inaccurate and the attempts to portray what it's like to be a user were again, just very inaccurate and they skipped over a lot of work and therapy that allows someone to LEARN to hear with the devices.

My hearing is jacked but I can play a little and I can write a little, I can record a little. That's good enough for me. I have played in many jams and even a couple of gigs with my little inorganic ear and did ok.

6. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I hear with a CI also. Very challenging to play a show in a band but I’ve managed the figure out how to do it.

it’s nice knowing I’m not alone

of this world, cranky and amstratnut like this.
  7. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

I made it about 30 minutes. I hate that he was going through that but he was an asshat to his gf. The one who was trying to help. So maybe he changed but I wasn't going to sit there and watch.

I've had a friend break his neck and be a quad at 25, just died last Thanksgiving, and didn't act anywhere close to that. He never complained about it in 35 years after.

Believer7713 likes this.
  8. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Thank goodness. :D

Yeah, it has it's own special challenges but the rewards are there. I have no clue whether you and I are special or lucky or worked harder or what, compared to other CI peeps.

of this world, The-Kid and EC Strat like this.
  9. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

When life altering thing occur, some people become saints, some become assholes.

I will say that hearing loss is very odd in that in some ways you are the same as ever but in other ways, you are changed and challenged very profoundly.

The-Kid, Stratoman10 and Martin Mim like this.
  10. EC Strat

Well I didn’t wait long to get implanted after I crossed the threshold- so that’s a huge factor / advantage. And then a ton of hardwork especially with music. I’ve had to relearn how to bend in pitch and have to REALLY zero in on the note in bending with a band. That’s the toughest part for me. Though there are times when the drummer really lays on the cymbals that i just loose track of my guitar in the mix

are you implanted bilateral or one side? Another issue for me is In unilateral so I have to position my amp bad where I stand pretty carefully

11. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

I am also not stereo. Yeah, being able to hear myself is the big issue. I have a very small amount of residual hearing on my other side it kicks in a bit when things get ultra loud but it confuses my poor brain.

So far, I have played a set of covers, played at jams where you have songs picked out in advance, my Son and I have done three releases of original punk. I can't mix worth a crap but I can do a good enough job as engineer for tracking for someone else to manage to mix. If the virus cooperates, I intend to front a punk thing going forward. I do vocals while playing guitar. :D Holy hell it's a runaway train just thinking about it.

of this world and EC Strat like this.
  12. EC Strat

The struggle is real - keep on keeping on my CI friend !!

13. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Thinking of changing the band name to Mr. Cochlea and the Implants.

Miotch and Steven1145 like this.
  14. EC Strat

LOLOL that’s awesome!! You should do it

15. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Its hard to explain why or how it was good and maybe it was not good, or it was but I did take something from it.

I honestly was expecting a documentary on metal.....

And then was like...oh okay its this other thing....

Something about how that guy who ran the deaf camp told Ruben the main character " so I am wondering in all this time learning, writing and sitting in that room where you wrote......have you ever actually been still"?

Like the problems he faced as weird as it was, was not being deaf or loosing hearing or that he had past drug issues, it was himself and thats what the older guy was trying to get at........the problem was trying to defy life, and the world in how it was for him.......and thats good sometimes but not always especially when life and the world just has more power and is taking you on a certain journey and path......the world and life and the direction it takes you are stronger than any individual person or oneself and not just Ruben forgets this but many seem to forget that in society at large.

These are not just "Rubens" issues or problems...... Like hes an archetype for the average guy or person that may go through these type of issues or lets face it....regular life as it is......

Like something about that "in all that time here, have you ever actually stood still or have been still"?

And like he never did and well not just him but like society at large I feel does not take time to just "be still" and just take life in how it is and appreciate it for what it is......

And at the end of the movie when the ring clanged and he just took of the implants it made sense all of a sudden.....like damm..... He stopped trying to control the world....and was just a part of it, accepting it for what it is and that was the biggest lesson Ruben learned and I think I learned and took from it.

People make life so complicated sometimes and a struggle but life is just life and taking time, real time to be still for a moment and take in and appreciate life for what it is, is something that there is a deficit of in modern times IMO.....and thats what the movie is trying to show IMO.

I am not sure how accurate the experience is or the tech or how deaf people do things in general but I think its less about whether the movie 100% accurately portrayed deaf people or implant surgery and more about the lesson the older gentlemen was trying to teach Ruben. Im kind of indifferent about Ruben and Lous music but the movie is not about that.......if your worrying about that your kind of missing the point of the movie and the lesson that the older gentlemen was trying to teach Ruben

I mean I am not saying I am right and this is just my impression but this is what I took from it.

Like people need to learn how to "be still" in the modern world.....

Last edited: May 3, 2021 at 3:19 PM
  16. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Its sort of like Star Wars.......Good StarWars...Atleast EP 4-6.... And some EP 1-3 and Rogue One....and Animated Series...but not Abramsverse EP 7-9 crap you get....

Right...

Your either the guy that thinks its all dumb because it does not accurately portray Star Ships fighting in space making a sound when they shoot a blaster or blow up and make a ruckus/noise in the vacuum of space etc etc and make a sound......

VS

Taking in some meaning of what Obi Wan Kenobi says in this scene and all the other cool stuff like Yoda Lifting a Y-Wing through shear force alone

And if your worrying about how "nonsensical" or how "100% accurate" or "inaccurate" a portrayal of deaf people or implant surgeryis.........or how Star Ships make sound in space or how the force would work or exist?!??!?!?

Well your just going to miss the point the movie is making until you grow or figure a way out of that tunnel vision yourself......but yeah the movie makes pretty good points on life in general and "not getting it" is kind of an example of one those points in a sense.

Last edited: May 3, 2021 at 6:18 PM
  17. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

You are mistaking my point: I believe it is a huge disservice to many people that might benefit from tech to have seen/heard the portrayals of the tech in this movie. I have had a cochlear implant for over 15 years and my experience is very different from what was shown in the movie.

There is also the problem of the deaf community fighting hard against those who might choose the tech. I would never urge happy functional deaf people to get them but many deaf people are willing to urge people not to.

Miotch and The-Kid like this.
  18. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

My apologies man and I can see you have first hand experience not just with being deaf/hearing-impairment but implants as well.

I did feel that was strange that the community was against it and rather than celebrate him being able to get his hearing back they just shun him. I didnt understand that part to be honest.

You make a great point in that sense regarding the importance and highlighting the benefits of implants from your first hand experience. The movie does a disservice to the deaf community in that sense not accurately portraying this in a positive light rather than negative.

Last edited: May 4, 2021 at 1:09 PM
  19. nungesser

nungesser crash into your windshield of love

I guess "its all gone Pete Tong"

20. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

I took an ASL class a few years ago. Was an eye opening experience. Deaf teacher and three-hour class with no speaking allowed from day one. Very humbling. But the thing you speak of is real. I can't pretend to understand it, but I did perceive (what I thought was) a bias against CI. While I learned adequate ASL for slow and limited conversation, this was not a topic I was equipped--in skill, knowledge or tact--to personally inquire about in the deaf community meetings I attended.

And sadly, within a year of learning ASL, I forgot 95 percent of it from lack of use. I can ask and answer some questions and use v e r y ..... s l o w spelling, but in no way could I help someone look for a coffee maker at Bed Bath and Beyond like I did once just after taking the class. Although I can still sign "coffee" because it is my favorite thing.