Watched "Sound of Metal"

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Dadocaster, May 2, 2021 at 1:00 AM.

1. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

I think it's pretty easy to understand. Many in the deaf community adhere to the idea that "we are not broken so we don't need to be fixed." I can certainly see where they are coming from. The idea that they are "less" and hearing people are "more" is for sure nonsense and as I mentioned before, I would never try to convince a deaf person to get a cochlear implant. If they asked me questions, I would be happy to answer.

The other thing that I think drives the hostility is that it is a threat to deaf culture. They have a language that is really pretty divergent from English and they have their own institutions. If there were a way to suddenly make all the deaf hear, the tradition and culture would die out and they do not want to see it.

The rub is that some deaf people spread disinformation and are very nasty to hearing parents contemplating a CI for a deaf child. I have read it for myself here and there and it's pretty disconcerting. Have not dealt with it personally but I suspect some would have a problem with me and my implant, but for heaven's sake, I did not start losing hearing until I as in my late twenties, and did not get to the point of a CI until I was around forty. For me, it was important for me to be able to function in the hearing world because the hearing world was my world. I had a job a kid, a wife that hated my guts just like everyone else and the choice of declining to get one or just taking the processors off and settling into a quiet existence was not something I could do.

Miotch, The-Kid and of this world like this.
  2. of this world

of this world Strat-Talker

i think there is a residual effect of having fought hard to come to terms with loss, - it happens to a certain number of us no matter what the loss is - some percentage of us kind of find an identity in what was lost that fills, as best it can, the hole that the loss left...

many dont want that loss mitigated at this point, or be told it needn't had been so severe, or any such thing as that... it's the placeholder for what was precious, and since it was also hard to achieve this acceptance, it is also precious. when your loss ends up being your life ring it makes mitigation of that loss threatening - obviously not on a rational level, and to accuse a person who's suffered an incalculable loss of not behaving how we think they should is sort of the pinnacle of rude and solipsistic busybodiness...

the truth is, every advance in avian wildlife rehab that will save the lives of untold numbers of birds in the future makes the deaths and euthanasias i've witnessed or performed on hundreds or even thousands of birds avoidable if only we'd done it this way back then - these advances have a sharp edge of grief to them.... no matter how many lives will be saved from now on...

Last edited: May 4, 2021 at 5:54 PM
  3. Otisblove

Otisblove Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

1. Their music WAS horrible.
    2. I liked the movie.
    3. When his girlfriend's dad showed up I went "I didn't think I'd see THAT guy in this movie!"

The-Kid likes this.
  4. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Yes, very well put.

My long struggle, which continues even now, would seem kind of ****ty and cheap if suddenly, the problem could be cured.

5. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Some of the things they did in that movie were amazing. Just not the part I'm *****ing about. :D

The-Kid and Otisblove like this.
  6. NHFlyCaster

NHFlyCaster Strat-Talk Member

Made it about 25 mins., maybe it's worth more of a look.

Miotch likes this.
  7. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Some good performances, but if I were not a cochlear implant user, I might have bailed early.

The-Kid likes this.
  8. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Admittedly I don't know the first thing about the deaf community or what it really would be like to be deaf.

But the movie did make me more aware of the deaf community in general and the condition and even though its not 100% accurate it made me more aware of it and the deaf community and I took something positive and a new admiration towards the deaf community for sure.

Last edited: May 5, 2021 at 3:33 PM