Join Strat-Talk Today

Watches.

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Polarbear, Jun 12, 2012.

1. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Here's a few thoughts comparing my three field watches. The pic shows them all lined up out back on the chopping block.

The $25 Timex is the lightest of the three, just about like not having one on at all, but then it is battery and not mechanical. Keeps good time. The lume is the worst of the three, but the indiglo is amazing and more than makes up for it. Cool watch, though absolutely a direct rip off from the Hamilton, imitation, flattery, you know the drill. For the money, a nice looking and functioning watch.

Next is the beige Seiko 5 I had on here before. Ordered it off the computer for Just under $100, and that included the brown leather strap. Keeps good time too, but is twice the weight of the Timex. Best lume of the three, by far. Neat that it has the day of the week showing, although I can't quite seem to get it set so it changes at the right time, and often I look down and it has gone to the French rather than the English, which I don't mind so much, but it is funky. The smallest of the three, which I think looks more proportional with my scrawny wrist. I really like the beige dial better than the black too. The Hamilton and the Timex both come as the same models but with beige faces, but for some reason the H is $200 more expensive than the black one, and the T is currently unavailable.

The Hamilton I recently got used, and it no longer had the original strap, but this green cordura thing. I'll probably order a leather strap for it. Lume is better than the T but not as good as the S5. About the same weight as the S5 too. It is the 38mm version of the Khaki, which is about as big as I would want to wear, that Citizen Skyhawk I had was neat, but just too dang klunky on me, and too complicated too, more suited to a multi effects unit person than Boss and TS on the pedalboard. I like being able to see the guts of the watch in through the glass on the back, see the moving spring and the gears, and the S5 shows it's guts too. The Hamilton seems to have the most reflective glass, and combined with the highest gloss dial, despite costing three times more than the Seiko, is the hardest to read. But dang, it's just a cool looking watch, and is Swiss, though just the base model ETA movement. Seems to keep good time too. Seems like if it was being made as a watch to actually be used in a military setting, it would have flat paint and not so reflective glass.

I like them all, but think of the three, the Seiko is the best value. For under $100 you get a great working automatic mechanical watch, and in your choice of four colors too. The small crown tucked down at he 4:00 position is smart, and makes it more comfy on the wrist. Oh well, turns out I like looking at the Hamilton better than I like wearing it.

Turns out watches are like guitars, nice to have more than one, some are better to look at than play, the more you have the more you want.
    DSCF3674 - Copy.JPG

2. oatsoda

Just went to gently wind the Hamilton, and the crown popped off in my hand. I'm easy on these babies too, a real pussycat! That's it for me and Hamilton, at least not buying any more used ones. Sticking with the cheap and reliable Seikos.

ocean likes this.
  3. ocean

ocean Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Have had the same Seiko for just over 30yrs.. very reliable

4. Strums

Strums Strat-O-Master

I never wear one. I don't like to be reminded of time ticking away. No joke.

(Sorry...back to our regularly scheduled program.)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  5. oatsoda

Was down to HFX today, taking mama to see the Dr. before her next round of chemo pills starts. Ick. Anyway, dropped off the Khaki at the fix it shop on Bilby st. Broken stem, fixed in less than an hour, picked it up after her appointment, before leaving the city slowly in rush hour traffic. $102 for the repair, OUCH!, (plus another dollar to get back across the bridge). Could have almost bought a new Khaki for what I have in this one now, sheesh. Almost like buying a new MIM and "upgrading" it to Am Std specs - yeah, right. I can see that like with guitars, this is an interest that could turn into a hobby into an infatuation into vanishing paychecks in a jiffy. Lesson learned? Only time will tell...

ocean likes this.
  6. lonegroover

lonegroover Senior Stratmaster

Very nice! I have a GMT from 1986, approaching its 30th birthday. But my favourite watch is an IWC Mk XII.

7. mmorgatto

mmorgatto Strat-Talk Member

"The second is the duration of 9 192 631 770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the cesium 133 atom."

1 mississipi...

8. oatsoda

Yeah, but that's just chronos, which doesn't mean dick, Kairos is where it's at.

mmorgatto likes this.
  9. Polarbear

Polarbear Don Poleone Strat-Talk Supporter

My two Seikos. The bottom one is from 1970 and I found in a charity shop for £3 today.

I’m sending it off to get new crystal and a replacement strap soon.
    BFBDBDAE-05F5-450C-A487-327024E0E029.jpeg 6A99E543-FF75-4BF2-B45D-F844209EFF47.jpeg 116BE6C7-3726-43C3-89DB-ABEA087F40D3.jpeg

Neil.C and Speedmaster like this.
  10. Speedmaster

Speedmaster Strat-Talker

Here are my 3 favorites: Rolex Explorer II, Omega Speedmaster 125 chronometer, and Speedmaster Speedy Tuesday Limited Edition
    IMG_3746.jpg

Polarbear and Neil.C like this.
  11. Polarbear

Loving those! Those Explorer 2s are becoming increasingly expensive!

Speedmaster likes this.
  12. Speedmaster

Speedmaster Strat-Talker

Thanks! Yeah the Rolex market is insane. I settled for this one after the prices of GMTs, Subs and Daytonas went out of my comfort zone but I've ended up bonding with it more than any other Rolex I've ever owned.

13. Polarbear

Thats the reason why I've had to put my Sub desire on hold. Even the black and steel versions are hitting £7k here. I'm now after a datejust or day date.

Speedmaster likes this.
  14. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

My everyday wear....

I guess you could say that it's the Epiphone of legit moon watches :D
    1/10th the cost of the Speedy, but the thing is dead-accurate.
    I set it to our GPS server, and if we didn't have a time change twice a year, I'd probably only have to adjust it once a year, if that.

193529.jpg
    192224.jpg

Neil.C, Polarbear and Speedmaster like this.
  15. Polarbear

that looks great!

16. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist Strat-Talk Supporter

This is pretty much the only one I wear.

[​IMG]

Neil.C and Speedmaster like this.
  17. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

Nice charity shop find.

I do like vintage Seikos, I've got quite a few 60's ones including a 1964 Tokyo Olympics one button chrono.

Unfortunately can't post pics as I am in Fla at the moment and on a little tablet.

is that top one on that strap I sent you? Looks great.

Polarbear likes this.
  18. Neil.C

[​IMG]

Hooray! Managed to post an image. Olympic one button chrono from 1966. Seikos first chronograph.

[​IMG]

CB91710 and Speedmaster like this.
  19. Neil.C

Here's a few more 1960's Seikos.

I have far more expensive watches but I love the history of these.

Btw, this is now they looked before cleaning up!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Neil.C

Very nice.

I have a few a Speedies and a white dial Exp II.

That white dial gives it a whole different look to the normal black sports models.

Speedmaster likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.