Wattage

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by metalclad05, Mar 30, 2009.

1. metalclad05

metalclad05 Strat-Talk Member

How many watts do most people have for home use? I am specifically interested in tube amps and was just wondering what is the average size of amp that is used exclusively in the home.

2. elementlax

elementlax Senior Stratmaster

i have fifteen, but thats cuz i have no money to buy a new one.
    im going for a thirty, that is loud enough for me

3. thaus

thaus Most Honored Senior Member

I have a 1 watt tube amp, a 25 watt head (it will make your ears bleed!) and a 50 watt combo that can be deafening! The 1 watt is great for recording at home; the other two are loud and great for jamming or gigging. Will make most drummers whimper........

4. moondance360

moondance360 Strat-O-Master

I have several 5 watt amps that are plenty for the house and too loud for an apartment.

5. Carlsoti

Carlsoti Senior Stratmaster

I've got a 3-ish that plays only clean, a 5watt that's sometimes too loud to play cranked up, and a 45 watt that will draw the police from the parking lot of the school across the street in abit of a hurry, if it's late. 5 or less is usually considered a "home amp", though a 5 wat tube amp cranked up will certainly put you out of favor with your neighbors if you live in apartments.

6. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Senior Stratmaster

5 watts. And, wide open, it's even too loud for a good size house if there are others at home who don't really want to hear me playing...

7. Torren61

Torren61 Strat-Talker

One watt is plenty. I have a 1/2 watt that converts to a two watt when you pull the tube and replace it with a conversion socket and a different tube. That amp is loud enough during the day and too loud at night and I have a house. You'd get kicked out of an apartment with it.

8. metalclad05

Well I pretty much know I don't need more than 5. It is hard settle for one though when there are so many 15-20 watt tube amps that you can get a good deal on in the used market. Plus they generally have more features, etc. I need a good clean that can dirty up for some blues playing. Is more wattage with a master volume and pedals tamable for home use? Some have said that I should just stick with SS or get a hybrid of somekind, but the warm cleans a tube amp provides are too much for me to disregard. Any thoughts?

9. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Senior Stratmaster

If the amp has master volume and gain (or something like that), combined with your favorite overdrive pedal, you can get a wide range of sounds at nearly any volume level. It may not be exactly the same as having your 1W system cranked, but it's probably going to work pretty well, certainly for in-home practicing, IMO. But, realistically, you can probably find a used Epi Valve Jr. for around $100, and a decent Blues Jr. is going to set you back 3x that, so it depends on your budget.

10. xen_

xen_ Strat-Talker

Just bought a Laney VC15-110 (15W, 1x10"speaker) on Saturday, first (working) tube amp I've had since the 80s. Woudn't want to get much louder for home use, but this one is nice. It's got a clean and a drive channel. Oddly enough the drive channel (at low drive settings) gives you a nice clean sound at lower volume (that's how I've got it set as I write and it's just past midnight here with the whole family in bed). The clean channel sounds great cranked. I've also got a 10W Orange Crush transitor amp, which is the sweetest tranny I've heard, plus plenty loud enough (even with an 8" speaker).

A couple of things you should bear in mind. 1) Wattage doesn't make as much difference as you might imagine. A 20W amp (all other things being equal) is not 2x as loud as a 10W amp, nor is a 15W amp anywhere near 3x as loud as a 5W. 2) "Other things" include (but are not limited to) speaker size and number, obviously the more air you are moving to more sound there is. Try a 5W amp with a 2x12" speaker cab and your neigbours will probably be on the door to throw pennies in your cap (or maybe for some other reason). ;)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  11. Bruster

Bruster Strat-O-Master

I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, notorious for being loud and yet, because of it's value, ends up in many dens and bedrooms!! It's NOT a home amp, to be honest. But I have learned to get the most out of it at home.

12. stevo58

stevo58 Strat-Talker

I have a couple of homebrews, one is sort of a tweed princeton (maybe 4 watts) and the other is a tweed vibrolux with submini output tubes (2, maybe 3 watts). They are both too loud for anything other than clean (though they do that well). I've stopped using amps for home recording unless the guitar part is the main part of the song. I use Amplitube Fender now for recording. For normal practice I don't use any amp at all.

steven

13. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

Keep in mind that when you look at most speaker ratiings they are putting out close to or over 100db @ 1 watt. So speaker efficiency makes a huge difference, much more so than the wattage. One band I was in the guitarist upgraded his speakers and the increase in volume was incredible - and it was still using the same head, same impedance.

14. Torren61

Torren61 Strat-Talker

I always go back to this when a person asks about amps for playing at home. Go here and demo their programs: AmpliTube 2 and NATIVE INSTRUMENTS : Home : Demo Versions

I'm demo ing Amplitube for the next ten days and I have to tell you, they have really improved their product. I have owned Amplitube before and I found it to be noisy. I gave it to my son and paid the transfer fee. This Amplitube really sounds good.

I own Guitar Rig 3 now and I really like it, too.

Both of these guitar modeling programs are perfect for guys that really don't play out and need something for practicing and recording at home. It helps to have an audio interface but it's not critical. A good set of headphones is nice to have, too.

Try this test. I only got two right. Take the Listening Test

As far as solid state amps...my opinion is that there is only one solid state amp that is worth the money in price comparison to a tube amp (that is you can get a smaller lower wattage tube amp for for what it costs to get a bigger solid state amp). That amp is the Roland Jazz Chorus 120.

15. metalclad05

I guess i should have clarified a little. I know that overall volume is not that different from a 5w to a 15w, but there is certainly differences in when they will break-up, correct? Besides that, if I am going to have to use a pedal anyways when I am not simply playing clean, should I just look for the best clean sound I can get and then go from there, i.e. does the wattage even really mean that much when you are going to have to put a pedal in front of it anyways? Thanks again for all the info.

16. xen_

xen_ Strat-Talker

GR3 ROCKS!!! So what are your favourite and least favourite amps. Personally I like the Citrus (Orange clone) and the various Fender clones, and the AC Box leaves me cold.

A friend of mine gigs with a macbook running GR into his amp.

I'm afraid I have to disagree there, both in regard to the modelled form and the RL one. I used to a Jazz Chorus (don't know about 120) frequently at a friend's place when jamming with him in the 80s. It was his pride and joy, but I loathed it.

Some of the modelling amps these days, you'd be hard pressed to tell it wasn't valved. My Orange was dirt cheap, but it sounds sweet (esp the crunch), and there are much more sophisticated modelling amps out there than it.

17. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Stratmaster

I have a couple of 5 watts, however, I agree with Torren, 1-2 watts for home use only, is plenty

18. Torren61

Torren61 Strat-Talker

I have made my own presets. william fisher in the community section. I also run the effects into the front end of my amp and it sounds killer.

19. thaus

thaus Most Honored Senior Member

The cab makes a difference......I run my 1 watt head into a VOX cabinet with 2 10's and it is loud enough to irritate the household!