Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Wax on, Wax off approach to learning

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by alderre, Dec 5, 2017 at 1:57 PM.

1. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    I can only speak of my own failings, but I have a tendency to assume that what is known or obvious to me, is also known or obvious to others. This has had unfortunate consequences in the past. For instance, I once assumed that someone knew the difference between 'margin' and 'markup', so rather than patronise them by passing on the vital information, I let them get on with producing a price list that was of no use what so ever, as all the prices were too low.

Rather than punish the other party for my mistake, I revised the list myself, then showed them what the difference was.* With the hindsight of many years, I should have got them to revise the list, so that they had multiple chances to apply what I'd just told them. Having to plow through 300+ items making the same calculation tends to lock these things into your mind. :whistling:

* 'Margin' is the percentage of the total selling price that is profit. 'Markup' is the percentage you add to the cost price in order to establish the selling price. Let's say we both work for Guitar Center and I tell you to create a price list for our shops by applying a 'margin' of 25% to the Fender Trade Price List. But you don't understand and apply a 'markup' of @25%. Let's see what a disaster that would be. A $750 guitar with a markup of 25% = $937.50. A $750 guitar with a margin of 25% is $1,000, which is about 33% markup. Ooops! What's obvious to me may not have been at all obvious to you.​

BallisticSquid and alderre like this.

2. fezz parka

fezz parka The Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

Those with ears can hear, those who don't...get funked up!

Bootsy Collins

StratSounds and alderre like this.

3. Vjerilood

Vjerilood Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2017
    USA
    If it’s working you’re getting there. I look at it similarly as what mood am I looking for. Modes are blah blah this and that according to theory but the theory is a means to an end, the end being moods. Modes are moods. I don’t even think of it as modes. Just from general listening and noodling I know how it will sound if I start playing raised fourths instead of fourths. I know in the shapes where the fourth is, so instead of that I play a fret higher. I don’t think, “time to go to Lydian.” I just think, dude a raised fourth would sound good here.

alderre likes this.

4. alderre

alderre Strat-O-Master

May 1, 2014
    New Braunfels
    Maybe we have all been spelling and pronouncing it wrong al along. :D The 7 Moods.

Although I don't really what mood to think of when i think of Lydian, Aeolian and Myxolydian. I mean I really can't describe them with a mood.

5. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    lydian is kinda trippy
    aeolian is kinda sad
    mixolydian is kinda crazy

alderre and fezz parka like this.

6. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Jun 28, 2011
    ok
    Its damn sure a song that helps you work on your memory. Every single fill is different.

alderre and Cuban like this.

7. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    Thanks for the lesson. I will be sure to do better in the future.

Captain Obvious out.

:D

alderre and fezz parka like this.

8. fezz parka

Locrian is loco

heltershelton likes this.

9. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    Mixolydian is the bass-line to so many classic rock 'n' roll songs. Any time you hear a 12-bar (or variation thereon) based on Dominant 7ths, that's about the only scale pattern you can employ. You need to shift it to match each chord change, so the whole song modulates in a somewhat unsubtle, but very effective way.

Here's an example of that mode used to its full glory:

EDIT: To avoid any confusion here, I'm not claiming you can cover the entire bass part using the mixolydian mode. For instance, over the minor chords, the dorian mode is often the most appropriate choice. I could blather on, but I'm not trying to turn this into a "how to play Pretty Woman" tutorial. ​

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 8:17 PM
    heltershelton likes this.

10. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

Jun 13, 2012
    Here
    Do you have the brain of a kindergartener?

11. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    That is the sort of contribution makes me think you should go on to bed now, because the grown-ups are talking. I think you must be very 'tired'.

12. Vjerilood

Vjerilood Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2017
    USA
    Mixolydian on the V is the same notes as the major scale of the key. Going to the major scale is one way blues players mix it up on the V, because the V is where the pros stand out from the hacks. So when V comes along, if the song is in C you can shift to notes from a C major scale, or, you can play notes from G major scale but play Fs instead of F#s. It’s the same notes.

alderre likes this.

13. fezz parka

Since the V in the key center of C is G, then G mixolydian is an on--the-nose go to scale. Less on the nose, but work great are B Locrian and D Dorian. Why? G-B-D is the triad for G major. The 5-7-2 of the C major scale, and the modes are the fifth, seventh and second degree. :D

alderre and Vjerilood like this.

14. alderre

alderre Strat-O-Master

May 1, 2014
    New Braunfels
    I see what you wrote. I wonder what purpose it serves.

15. alderre

alderre Strat-O-Master

May 1, 2014
    New Braunfels
    I love this. Pretty Woman is what I’m going to use the next few days tobreak through.

Thank you

16. alderre

alderre Strat-O-Master

May 1, 2014
    New Braunfels
    @fezz parka and @simoncroft

Thank you for taking the time to dissect the subject. You should see my notes.

Learning more in 2 days than I did in months

fezz parka likes this.

17. Swampash

Jun 13, 2012
    Here
    To remind you that you're a grownup, and that the fact that learning something is hard for a kindergartner is no excuse for you not to. Learn to read and write music because it will make you a better musician.

18. alderre

alderre Strat-O-Master

May 1, 2014
    New Braunfels
    Perhaps you misunderstood. I was asked if I can read music. I can, but at a slow speed. Like the way a child reads.

Nowhere did I imply that learning was not important. Just that I’m getting there, not quite there yet.

Thanks for your contribution either way.

19. Swampash

Jun 13, 2012
    Here
    Apologies, I took your previous comment in a manner other than you intended.