Weak album tracks - do you let them play?

circles

Resident Pinball Enthusiast
May 26, 2013
West Seattle
Back in the LP days, I'd probably let it slide, except for the odd unbearable amongst them. For instance, if I were listening to Sgt. Pepper, and She's Leaving Home came on, I'd probably make the effort to go over to the record player and gently lift the needle to the next track.

Scott Baxendale

Most Honored Senior Member
Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Athens Ga
More of a vinyl thing I guess, but I have some very favourite albums that have the occasional annoying/weak/stupid etc track.

I tend to let the whole album play despite these tracks. How about you?
I only buy and listen to vinyl these days and part of the magic is that a side on a record is sequenced in a certain way with purpose, rather than random songs picked out of a hat. That said, I usually listen to a whole side.

When I put out my last album on vinyl it took me two weeks to sequence the songs before I had it right. I work with a lot of artists who put out a album every year or more and the topic of how to sequence a side is an art to itself, same with liner notes.

My new album project comes out in July and will get a full release. It’s with Kimberly Morgan York and is folk/country/Americana. It’s being released on vinyl and Spotify.

I’ve never owned or used an iPod and I’ve never downloaded a track from iTunes or Spotify myself. For me it was records, then reel to reel tape, then cassette tape, then back to reel to reel tape, then CDs, now back to vinyl.

Bazz Jass

Chairman of the Fingerboard
Silver Member
Nov 19, 2014
Six Strings Under
I only buy and listen to vinyl these days and part of the magic is that a side on a record is sequenced in a certain way with purpose, rather than random songs picked out of a hat.
Yeah, I generally give the artists on my LPs the benefit of the doubt here. Generally the weak songs are less of a PITA than trying to get the needle to the next track...

Good chance to refresh at the beer fridge when those tracks come on.

Scott Baxendale

Most Honored Senior Member
Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Athens Ga
Yeah, I generally give the artists on my LPs the benefit of the doubt here. Generally the weak songs are less of a PITA than trying to get the needle to the next track...

Good chance to refresh at the beer fridge when those tracks come on.
Really good bands show up to make a record with 30-60 songs to choose from where average bands have 10 which relates to the final quality of the record.

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
Really good bands show up to make a record with 30-60 songs to choose from where average bands have 10 which relates to the final quality of the record.
And there's a reason "Previously unreleased tracks" were previously unreleased.
Usually to be released posthumously by family members looking to milk the talent for all it's worth without regard to the quality.

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
I always had favorite sides of albums...maybe because I had one of those stacking turntables early on.
Mom couldn't understand why I really wanted that Technics turntable and component system when it didn't couldn't play more than one record like our RCA console and my old GE phonograph.

BluesForDan

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 2, 2008
southern NH
I'm not yet back into vinyl (but the day is drawing nearer). I have 200+ CDs in my iTunes that I burned applelossless. Now I use Apple Music to listen to them. I made a playlist of U2's All You Can't Leave Behind, and deleted a few of the tracks I don't dig as much. But then I never had the vinyl of that album so it isn't burned into my memory bank like virtually everything before 1983.