Join Strat-Talk Today

Weekly Challenge #242 Guthrie Govan - Larry Carlton-style backing track

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by simoncroft, Nov 23, 2017.

1. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

"What you did there was good Larry, but I was hearing it more like this..." Well, this is your chance!

dogletnoir, alainvey, MagnusR and 4 others like this.
  2. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Strat into some TH3 plugin. Could be any guitar with that much juice. Happy Thanksgiving!

3. alainvey

alainvey Senior Stratmaster

I jammed this for a while because I enjoyed it so much. Here is what I got:

Edit:

Here is my first take as well, had a listen and enjoyed bits of it.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  4. MagnusR

MagnusR Strat-O-Master

For me this was one of those painful moments when you realize you are not half as good as you would like to be. Recorded it twice and from the 2nd recording i extracted a short piece. GG is a monster player!

5. McStratter

McStratter Strat-Talk Member

6. alainvey

What pattern is the arp at the end? Great stuff!

7. MagnusR

MagnusR Strat-O-Master

Thnx alainvey! Listening to yours i figure i will try with less gain next time. Sweet stuff!
    My pattern at the end is combined picking/tapping and i think it's pentatonic in a way at least, or maybe there are arps in there. See notes in tab (never mind the key). From the highest mark on the g string i bend two additional frets

Edit I did the tab creation here btw https://www.guitartabcreator.com/
    Edit2 First tab was not correct but this one it is
    tab.png

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    alainvey likes this.
  8. alainvey

Great tone! Lovely playing on this, Mark :)

9. pauljo1963

pauljo1963 Senior Stratmaster

This is a nice track .. just listened to the first minute or so...
    No deviations from that ????
    try to get something together this weekend

10. dogletnoir

dogletnoir WBLV Strat-Talk Supporter

Lawrence From Torrance (short version)

This is the abridged version...
    for any gluttons for punishment, the full length extravaganza can be found
    on my soundcloud
    as well as in my 'Tunes From The Crate!' thread here.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    Thrup'ny Bit, MagnusR, Mouse and 3 others like this.
  11. simoncroft

While I really appreciate the number of times you tell me I remind you of Larry Carlton, or have the skills of Guthrie Govan, I thought it was only fair to play something really average this week. I think I hit my spot on that one:

Joking apart, I lost focus after a while, and it shows.

@pauljo1963 – I think your unstated question is: "Strewth mate, is their any chance you could maybe module into another key, or at least throw in another section?" It was only when I came to play over this I realised it is a bit repetitive, er... unlike almost anything I can think of that Larry Carlton has done. :oops:

I'll happily listen to all your fine tracks tomorrow. It's late here in the UK.

12. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

@mjark - You have a great tone going on here. Sweet licks abound, and some sweet phrasing too. Nice!

@alainvey - I like both, though the second seems to flow a lot easier, almost like you were more relaxed and into the track. Nice smooth tone and licks. Cool!

@MagnusR - Damn man, you bent this track to your will in every way. Great Rock / Fusion hybrid. Very well played Sir!

@dogletnoir - Your use of slap back echo really filled things out and gave an trippy yet controlled feel to things. Too smooth puppy, too smooth!

@simoncroft - Cool tones and some nice use of bends really add a nice vocal like vibe to this track. Well phrased and well played. Cool!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  13. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock Strat-Talk Supporter

I ran through once to get the feel and then did this. In hindsight I could have used a few more takes to develop a consistent theme. Nice track though.

14. TheDuck

I thought the same thing, and found myself overthinking the track. Everything I did sounded sterile and stiff, so I threw all thought out the window :confused:

You nailed a great vibe @Mouse, very cool take.

Mouse likes this.
  15. simoncroft

@mjark – There’s a very strong rhythmic groove to your playing on this, which brings out a surprisingly Latin groove I hadn’t really heard in the backing until I listened to your take. There were fresh ideas until the end, and I think your tone suits the material very well.

@alainvey – The first take really floats along with the flow of the track, and when the rests come in your play over them as if they were your idea! Some very inventive lines. Love what you did over the breakdown. Your first take (posted second) is possibly even better in places, and you have an uncanny ability to work the changes so effectively the listener is left with the impression of far more variety than the backing actually contains.

@MagnusR – That’s some very exciting playing, and can see there’s a small dog who likes it very much. So do I! Thank you for the diagram of the pattern you used at the end. Although I know I’ll never executive it with anything like the fluency that you did, I’ll play around with it because it really was super-effective.

@dogletnoir – I’m intrigued by the sound you got here, because I’m detecting an almost sitar-like ‘zing’ but more in the ping-pong delays than the dry note I think. Maybe it’s a cumulative thing, but whatever, it’s very distinctive and effective. I really like some of the big interval jumps you use, and the few times you go ‘outside’ you’re always on your way somewhere!

@TheDuck – At times, this reminded me of Walter Becker’s sensibility in that you make some of the less obvious note choices work through exceptionally accurate execution, but more importantly, by resolving your ‘out’ phrases to take them ‘in’. The end result was compelling, because only you knew quite where each line was going.

@Mouse – Funny how the player often evaluates his/her work differently to the listener. I thought your take was very ‘consistent’, in that I felt you played it as if you do this solo most nights and had worked out the structure of it long ago. It just had that sort of confidence to your delivery.

MagnusR, alainvey and TheDuck like this.
  16. MagnusR

MagnusR Strat-O-Master

Thnx Simon! if I can give something to someone and someone likes it i'm more than happy. Thank you for being kind. It's one of those days where I'm extremely low and that comment cheered me up a bit

17. TheDuck

Who told you that lie ;)

simoncroft likes this.
  18. pauljo1963

pauljo1963 Senior Stratmaster

not my usual...
    2 listens , one take

19. Raimonds

Raimonds Senior Stratmaster

Here is my poor attempt to play on this track, one and only take

20. simoncroft

@pauljo1963 – This is a very strong take that is big on harmony and melody – and variety! In fact, your take is jam-packed with great ideas and very clean execution. I just know I'll have this take swimming round my head tomorrow. You've structured your arrangement very well too, which is quite an achievement for one take.

@Raimonds – I'm sensing a busy man, but from what you wrote, not what you played. You make fine work of the changes, and improvise your themes in a very free-flowing way. Also, you always deliver a very 'complete' recording from a production perspective, which is always nice to hear.

dogletnoir likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.