Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Weekly Jam No.36

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by mjark, May 15, 2017.

1. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland
    I figured someone would have gone ahead by now. Have fun. This is a nice groove despite the synth bass!

2. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland
    Can I edit a title?

3. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France
    Yes -thread tools

simoncroft and mjark like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland
    Merci

6. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Strat-Talker

Aug 6, 2015
    Ontario,Canada
    I struggle with this track but I enjoyed playing over this one :)

duzie, jimyjazz, Ebidis and 4 others like this.
  7. simoncroft

simoncroft Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    Bit of a quick one from me:

Thanks for posting @mjark :thumb:

lonegroover, duzie, jimyjazz and 7 others like this.
  8. Marlsboi

Marlsboi Strat-Talker

Oct 19, 2016
    Anchorage
    Man it's hard to keep in time with backing tracks on amplitube with the small delay..
    Anyway, here's my go.

duzie, jimyjazz, Ebidis and 4 others like this.
  9. Marlsboi

Marlsboi Strat-Talker

Oct 19, 2016
    Anchorage
    Ahh the modulation really adds to the track.. Good idea! Nice playing as well.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    mjark likes this.
  10. Mellencaster

Aug 6, 2015
    Ontario,Canada
    @simoncroft - A very sweet funky ride , the modulation gives it a slight horn effect which I liked a lot and some serious phrasing thought out too. Well played.

@Marlsboi Sweet stratty clean tones and soulful playing . The section where the neck pickup was switch to was very pleasing . On another note, I noticed your track is picking up the effects from Amplitube it should play without the signal chain mixing with it, I'm not sure of your version but there should be easyremedy to correct it.

11. blasphemoustrat

blasphemoustrat Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Pa
    I didn't mean to mess with nobody
    Please excuse me I guess I funked up
    I didn't want to hurt nobody
    Please excuse me I guess I'm funked up

mjark, tumeniguitars, duzie and 4 others like this.
  12. blasphemoustrat

blasphemoustrat Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Pa
    There is sort of zappa Ness to your phrasing that I really enjoyed here....

simoncroft likes this.
  13. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    @simoncroft Is really good at the channelling Zappa thing. He's done it more than once around here.

simoncroft and Mansonienne like this.
  14. Marlsboi

Marlsboi Strat-Talker

Oct 19, 2016
    Anchorage
    I have it running through a univibe and a fender mustang, then into my computer. So I expect some delays.
    Also, my computer isn't that great.

If you were talking about the backing track picking up effects, then yeah I forgot to bypass the amplitube amp on the second channel.. oops

15. Mellencaster

Aug 6, 2015
    Ontario,Canada
    No worries, I'm more concern if you didn't know how to correct it but you obviously know how :)

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  16. Brian H

Brian H Strat-O-Master

Feb 7, 2016
    Delaware
    Here is a one take shot. But did run over a bit of it first to get a feel.

mjark, duzie, jimyjazz and 2 others like this.
  17. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @Mellencaster – I’m not hearing any struggling but I’m digging the funky tone and tight licks. I like the way you introduced a tone change at about 1:32 and again around 3:00 etc but kept it within a related sound pallet, and continued to build on what you’d already played.

@Marlsbol – My sympathies; I can’t stand latency in the headphones, so I always keep plug-ins out of the signal chain until I’ve got the track down. It doesn’t show in your take, though, which is full of wiry-toned licks. In fact, I don’t think it’s technically possible to be any more out-of-phase than your tone up to about 4:00 on this one!

@blasphemoustrat – This is a very authoritative take; sure-fingered from the first note and those ideas just keep flowing. Tonally, you’re a lot closer than me to Zappa’s ‘warthog’ tone, as he used to call it, as well as some of his phrasing. You have funkier rhythm chops too!

@Brian H – Flangey and funky with it! I really like your opening motifs, which make a great head and framework for what follows. Even by your standards, this take is something of a tour de force, with some crazy-fast sections and wild techniques, before you return to your original theme.

Well, thank you kind sir. It certainly wasn't conscious on this occasion.

Have you tried reducing your audio buffer size in the audio preferences of your DAW? If you can get it down to 128 samples, you should get a roundtrip delay of around 10.5ms, which is not a lot. If your processor isn't fast enough, you can only go for the smallest audio buffer you can achieve without glitches.

Mellencaster likes this.
  18. Marlsboi

Marlsboi Strat-Talker

Oct 19, 2016
    Anchorage
    I will definitely try that, thanks for the advice!

19. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    This has a definite '80s cheesy synth sound. I couldn't really figure out what to do with this, so I just played in 4 different modes. Ended up sounding a little outside, which I thought was cool.

duzie, jimyjazz and Mellencaster like this.
  20. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @Ebidis – I immediately thought of Jimi at the start, followed by The Isley Brothers. After that, yeah, you definitely took this a little outside at points, but you brought it back inside when the weather changed. :sneaky:

I think it was listening to your takes that made me realize that good old stomp boxes were still an important part of the tones I wanted to hear. It's great being able to create so many digital effects 'inside the box' at mix time, but there's a lot to be said for setting up the tone you want as a player 'in the room', so thank you for returning me to that.​

jimyjazz and Ebidis like this.
  21. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Thanks Simon. appreciate the kind words.

I have never used a DAW in my life. Perhaps I'm something of a luddite, but I would rather play guitar than program a computer. I know there is a great convenience factor with a DAW when it comes to mixing and editing, but I have always done it with a guitar, amp, and mic.

Set up a sound I like, press record and go. Repeat if necessary until you get a good take. Primitive I know, but that's me. :)

And not to blow my own horn (really hope this doesn't sound egotistical), but I get a lot of compliments on my tone in these threads (actually much to my surprise and delight), so I must be doing something right.

simoncroft and blasphemoustrat like this.