Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Weekly Jam No.36

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by mjark, May 15, 2017.

1. jjpish68

jjpish68 Strat-Talker

Jan 22, 2012
    Maryland
    Just having a little fun.

mjark, duzie, jimyjazz and 2 others like this.

2. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    @Mellencaster Just about as good as it gets. Nice tone, and good funkiness.

@simoncroft What I said before, channeling Zappa, and in my eyes, and ears, that is good, and ain't easy. Wonderful take.

@Marlsboi Great clean "stratty" sound, and I really like your bendy, slinky, loose feel.

@blasphemoustrat and @Brian H The reason I don't listen to you guys before I do my takes, is because I know yours will always be this good, and then I wouldn't bother.

Both of you guys are like endless lick machines!

@jjpish68 That was fun to listen to as well. Great wah!

3. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 4, 2015
    New Jersey
    I tried to embrace the funky - but got stuck in pentatonic wankville.

mjark, duzie and Mellencaster like this.

4. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 4, 2015
    New Jersey
    @jjpish68 That intro! Yes. I like the patience then POW
    @Ebidis It definately wasn't "outside" in that "What the $*%( is going on here?" Way - it way just funky enough to be cool without being too neat n clean
    @Brian H Funkenstein shredmaster - the mod and big bend-vibrato squeals were very satisfying
    @blasphemoustrat Clean and smooth - kind of a fluid and effortless take. Buttery
    @Marlsboi First one I heard with a clean tone - and really, it is a good choice. Maybe the little delay kept things funky? I like it
    @simoncroft Ah - the synth pad sound and dissonant chords are really cool

jjpish68 likes this.

5. jimyjazz

jimyjazz Senior Stratmaster

May 15, 2015
    New Zealand

Haven't played much lately and it shows... 4 tracks into audacity. very messy very me very sorry :eek::(

felt good to get some ya yas out tho

#2 HSS ... voX ....

sounds less exxy on soundcloud

oops wrong jam... sorry !! damn .........:confused:o_O

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    mjark and Mellencaster like this.

6. jimyjazz

May 15, 2015
    New Zealand
    Mellencaster - this is so right !! Love it !! very cool to hear you play ... it's been a while since I heard you :)
    Simon - very prog groovy deliciousness.... much goodness !!! Freaky madness :cool:
    Marlsboi -bring it down .... real low .... stay down , now get down .... and get on up , get way on up .. funkalicious .... sooooo very tasty ... yum
    blas - man I could just drift away and never want to look back.... always love your playing !!
    Brian - o yeah !! you ROcK !!! HARD !! Always........ so much to learn er steal from you :D:p:whistling:
    Eb - soaring .. sawing !! Love where you take it !!
    jp68 - whaaaaat !:eek: o I love this !! music !!!! @!!#$$%
    Leica - can I join your band ? pleeeeeeeze

so happy to be here ... jj :thumb:

jjpish68, Mellencaster and Marlsboi like this.

7. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland
    Remember you you don't have to play for six minutes. I doubt I will.

8. simoncroft

simoncroft Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @jjpish68 – I like your rather vicious tone and incisive phrasing. It’s kinda angry, but also seriously tight. As a movie scene, the cops are scoping out an urban location for a really bad guy, but end up busting in on someone who isn’t the guy they’re looking for at all.

@LeicaBoss – You turned the funky groove in a rocky direction, but I feel you’ve done a lot better than “pentatonic wankville”. For a start, you’ve laid down two parts that lock well with each other, and the underlying track. Your tone and phrasing are both really nice, so what’s not to like? Listen again. It’s a good take.

@jimyjazz – Hey fella, good to have you around again. Very ambient soundscapes you have going there. I agree ‘very you’. TBH, I can’t even identify what the original backing track is you’re working to there. It’s probably quite recent, but I can’t place it. Keep getting those Ya Yas out!

@mjark – I ‘liked’ your comment. Then I realized it could be interpreted to mean I hoped your own take wasn’t to long, so I ‘unliked’ it! You’re absolutely right though: in the real world hardly anyone plays a guitar solo lasting that long.

9. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Strat-Talker

Aug 6, 2015
    Ontario,Canada
    @blasphemoustrat Very good groove on this , your phrasing and tone were great.

@Brian H Screaming bends to the moderate phrasing with your a high octane style was awesome.

@Ebidis Your effects to the amp does sound very good and you've played a funky style indeed ,with a theme that you played well.

@jjpish68 The space and the attack was spot on , very well played Joe!

@LeicaBoss The rhythm was and tone were perfect for this track and the lead compliment everything .Very sweet track.

@jimyjazz I don't know what track you were doing but it sounded well orchestrated and sounded big .Nicely played out.

10. jimyjazz

May 15, 2015
    New Zealand
    Thanks Simon. I was keen to play in the jam but somehow loaded the wrong backing and didn't realise it until I had posted and was listening to everyone's takes.:oops: What I played is pretty messy and I could have cleaned it up a bit, but decided to post it raw. I did enjoy playing though and once I have the new bike sorted I hope to get the ya yas out some more :D

11. jimyjazz

May 15, 2015
    New Zealand
    Thanks Mel you are very generous.

12. duzie

duzie Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

May 1, 2016
    northwest nj
    Well lots of repetition going on here as well as poor string muting lol
    Glad to be back at it though !!

Father inlaw passed last week and it's been a little chaotic here ...

Last edited: May 18, 2017

13. bluestringer

bluestringer Strat-Talker

Jul 4, 2013
    South Georgia
    Same ole boring stuff from me...........................

14. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Strat-Talker

Aug 6, 2015
    Ontario,Canada
    duzie Sorry for the loss of your father in-law.On a brighter note you've played smooth laid back track with kind on the edge dirty tone that I like. Nicely done!

bluestringer I don't hear anything I would ever consider boring at all ,very nice clean tones and having space in your playing is desirable listen to .Good solid track!

duzie likes this.

15. alainvey

alainvey Senior Stratmaster

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    Rusty, here is my take on this hilarious and excessively long piece of music:

16. guitarman1984

guitarman1984 Senior Stratmaster

Jul 24, 2013
    Italy
    Are you using iRig? I don't have any delay with iRig HD...

17. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @duzie – I’m sorry to hear of your family’s loss. Good to have you back in the gang, though. Did you know Niles Rogers was originally a rock player? Your take sounds like the day he decided he could make Good Times sound more exciting if he hit the distortion and went back to his roots. Cool.

@bluestringer – That’s a very Stratty tone you have there (for fairly obvious reasons…) and it helps you put this track more into the chill-out zone. I don’t think it’s boring, just laid back and assured. One of the things I like about your take is it shows it’s possible to come at this seemingly simple track several ways and still have a valid interpretation.

duzie likes this.

18. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @alainvey – Very nice take. Yeah, it would work very well as music for a TV series about a wheeler-dealer. Your phrasing is very tight and funky. I like the gentle phase-isity (that's a technical term) of your tone too. Overall, you take a very simple vamp in a lot of enjoyable directions.

alainvey likes this.

19. Marlsboi

Marlsboi Strat-Talker

Oct 19, 2016
    Anchorage
    Nope I'm using my digital amp in place of one..

20. blasphemoustrat

blasphemoustrat Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Pa
    Had a NGD today....a few flubb notes in there, getting used to the guitar still....