Weird output problems from my 1996 Lace Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by dejongwout, Sep 19, 2017.

1. dejongwout

dejongwout New Member!

Hi guys!

Totally new to this forum but enjoy Strats. And talk. So might be the place for me.

I have a weird problem with my strat. The output is breaking up (in the bad way) and sometimes hardly any volume. So I tested another guitar. Maybe it was the amp. Other guitar was totally fine. So it had to be my strat.
    But for some weird reason the other day my other guitar did the same. Briefly. Now the problem is back again only for the strat. Who recognizes this issue or has some great insight :)

A video on the issue:

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

If it happened to more than one guitar....it's the amp or the cable....

Have you opened up the Strat and looked under the pickguard at the wiring? IF so, show some photos....

Does the Strat do this when unplugged or just plugged in? It could have a setup issue...

Welcome to the forum @dejongwout

carver likes this.
  3. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

If the problem is the amp or cable, why should he open the guitar?

StratPlus97 likes this.
  4. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

It was a series of a bunch of questions, hoping he would answer all of them :)

One small paragraph with next to no info and a short video not explaining very much makes it tough to diagnose....

Yves and Ebidis like this.
  5. Timlyons

Timlyons New Member!

Have you replaced the battery I know when the battery gets low it will cut out

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  6. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

You could always try a little contact cleaner in the volume and tone pots. Easy and cheap. It could fix it, maybe. I would try it and see.

Also, try a different guitar cable, or at least unscrew the barrel ends of your cable. Look to see if they are soldered in properly. Sometimes, they can "partially " break, or some of the "hot" strands could be touching the ground lug of the cable. This would partially ground out some of the signal, causing a weak and/or distorted output.