Join Strat-Talk Today

Weird Pickup "Fuzzy" Problem

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by marcjoe, Oct 16, 2019.

1. marcjoe

marcjoe Strat-Talk Member

The problem didn't start with the Peavey, it's also with the champ and also with my little boss katana. The Peavey amp and speaker is perfectly fine, I recently played a prs Mira over it and it sounded killer humbucking and also coil tap mode. I also have a steinberger spirit with Seymour duncans that sounds great over all of the amps.

2. marcjoe

Maybe you're right concerning the amount of gain I'll get out of them. After all that's why I put in the di marzio in the bridge position
    I'll watch the video later and see how he does it.
    I will try to set the neck pickup flush again and adjust the others to volume. In Addition I'll try to put the strings higher if still needed.

How do you handle the two trem mounting screws? Do you also use them to adjust bridge height? Mine is now set about 1mm above the guitar body when parallel.

Hope I don't have to fiddle around with neck angle. I've read conflicting posts here about shiming or using that micro tilt screw.

3. kurher

kurher Strat-Talker

"Stratitis" is magnetic interference which means it is clearly audible even when the guitar is not plugged in.

The worst offenders are usually the g and E strings - which are the fattest plain and wound ones respectively and have the worst stiffness to tension ratio in most standard string sets - and can "warble" anyway.

In addition to the suggestions made above you can also check the bridge saddles and make sure they are firmly seated and parallel to the bridge plate.

4. marcjoe

Thanks, that sounds reasonable. It's also the two strings that make the most trouble. Can you explain how you achieve "parallel to the bridgeplate"? Since this is influenced by different factors (tremolo spacing, string height,..) isn't that hard to really achieve?

5. kurher

kurher Strat-Talker

Not really. You just make sure the small screws on either side of each saddle are of equal height so that the top, on which the string makes contact, is parallel to the bridge plate.

If the saddle doesn't make good contact with the plate on both sides or has a worn top it can make the string sound "chorus-y" or "warbly" along its length.

6. marcjoe

Ok, now I understand what you meant .

7. fezz parka

fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

I don't have experience with them. I prefer the six screw traditional bridge.

Shimming doesn't hurt anything.

8. marcjoe

In particular people wrote against using the micro tilt system, but others spoke in favor of it. I guess I'll just give it a try in case I need it.

9. fezz parka

fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

Well...I'm one who says whatever makes your guitar playable is ok. Shimming or the micro-tilt makes no discernable difference in the sound of the guitar. It does make it more playable for some of us.

My 65 Strat has a factory shim. So does my 83 JV Squier. ;)

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  10. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Sorry mate, for some reason I never got the notifications from this thread. High pickups, yes I can

marcjoe likes this.
  11. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

I prefer a shim to the micro tilt, I'd ignore the screw, I think it gives you more control. Shim and be damned I say, it's a guitar. If you can't play it, what's the point of having it.

fezz parka likes this.
  12. marcjoe

So guys,

Today morning I woke up early and decided to begin the "magic". I followed your advices, dialed in a purely clean tone and set my pubs flush against the body. Since the low e string still seemed to have a bit of an "overtone" I then decided to proceed with setting up the guitar to a higher bridge height.

After raising the sattles and then adjusting the tremolo to it's former height I decided to just use the micro tilt for now to adjust the neck angle and restore my string action about to where it was before.

After that I had to do some minor corrections for string clearance and intonation.

I didn't have that much time now to dive deep into checking the new setup but I can tell the following for now:

1. The string action somehow seems to be much better than before and although I was able to have a significantly lower string clearance without buzz I decided to go higher again as I am used to (about 2.4mm at the 17th fret).

2. Overtones on the low E string seem to be significantly better than before. I think that I have successfully dialed out "stratitis" - or at least it is MUCH better.

3. The annoying tones of the g string at the 12th and 17th fret seem to be way better, however at high gain still a tiny bit present - at least on first check with the katana. I will have to do more testing of this on the Peavey and super champ XD also.

Pickups have a string clearance of about 6.5 mm now when depressed at the last fret, which is about 2.5 more than before. Neck pub is flush with the body.

At the bottom you find some pictures of the setup as it is now.

So too sum things up (for now ) I think you guys really nailed it with your diagnosis of stratitis. Somehow I have the feeling that those 30year old magnets still have a whole LOT of magnetism in them. Hearing them for what they are, I also thought twice about them "being weak". Although they seem to not really handle too much gain that well, clean and with moderate gain they somehow really sound awesome.

So thank you guys a lot for now!! More testing coming in though and I'd be happy if your trained ears would have another listen to some sound samples coming in shortly.

Rock on
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    fezz parka likes this.
  13. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Remember you have a humbucker with stronger magnetics than the Fender manual was written for.

Your neck and middle look great, your bridge still seems too high given it's strength specs.

The trick with sounding too weak is you need to adjust the pickup height lower and then the next day mess around with the amp volume higher. Ear fatigue.

14. marcjoe

Yeah, that's probably the reason why they already sounded really good to me today
    While adjusting the two single coils I had the humbucker all the way down. I raised it afterwards and to my ears it didn't really change a thing.
    I didn't already do a final adjustment to the humbucker, I'll see how low I can get it without loosing to much "attack" on it. Volume wise it would be good even where it is now. When this is done also and I did some final testing, I'll post some audio samples.

15. marcjoe

Hey lovely people, I finally got the chance to record a sound sample of my strat with all the mojo done to it. To my ears it sounds way better now. I´m sorry it took me so long for that simple recording, but somehow the time was just never right.

I´d be glad if you listen to it and post your opinions. First it´s on the clean channel with low crunch setting and afterward on the lead channel with gain at about half (Peavey 6505MH).

Thanks again for all your contributions to solving my problem.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.