Join Strat-Talk Today

Well, is it true that most of us have 10 grand or more invested in gear?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by 3bolt79, Mar 25, 2020.

1. crashbelt

crashbelt Strat-O-Master

I'm well over, but if the vintage market tanks maybe I'll get under 10k:eek:

3bolt79 likes this.
  2. wrvond

wrvond Senior Stratmaster

Yes, it’s true.

3bolt79 likes this.
  3. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

If I were to throw everything I have away and go out today (or when possible to shop again) and replace it with as exact a replacement as possible, I'd probably be right at the $10k mark, probably a little above. But honestly, If I were to start over today, I wouldn't buy three of the amps I hardly ever use and would maybe own a guitar or two less. So I could probably replace it for less than $10 and have the stuff I actually use regularly.

But to your question: If looking at list prices, absolutely. If looking at what I actually paid, probably, but not for sure. And over my lifetime, waaay more than $10k. On a positive note I probably recouped 20 cents on the dollar on the stuff I sold or drunk-gifted back in my single days.

3bolt79 likes this.
  4. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster

I don't think I've ever had more than 5K invested in gear at any given time, and right now I would estimate I have about 4K wrapped up in my gear. My two MIA Strat Plus guitars, and 89 and a 91, were each purchased for less than $650. My 2014 MIM Nashville Tele for $500 , and my 2012 MIM CP50 Strat for $595. I bought my Fender BJ amp in 1997 for $295, and my Mustang III for $249 on closeout sale from GC when the Mustang GT was introduced. The kit JTM45 I built cost $500 in 2007, and it replaced a Dr Z Route 66 head which I sold for more than I paid for it. I have a few pedals, but the only one I bought new is a Barber Direct Drive.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    3bolt79 likes this.
  5. davidKOS

davidKOS sheltered Strat-Talk Supporter

I was going to say that I have less than 10K in gear - until I was reminded about the recording stuff!

I'm sure, between a bunch of guitars, basses, amps, keyboards, lap steels, ukuleles, mandolins, bouzoukis, etc. AND the computers, VST's, DAWS, and peripherals I'm over 10k.

3bolt79 and mshivy like this.
  6. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

yes, over $10k but that's spread over 34 years and I still have 90% of it or more

fretter, 3bolt79, Miotch and 2 others like this.
  7. sgarnett

sgarnett Senior Stratmaster

Some of what I have was inherited from my father, and one he inherited from an uncle. Those are of course irreplaceable, and if something happened to them I wouldn’t try.

I need to sell off some lesser-used equipment to make room for my wife and newly-enlarged family. I made the mistake of waiting for moderate shipping weather though, and I doubt if there’s much demand at this point.

3bolt79 likes this.
  8. lonegroover

lonegroover Senior Stratmaster

Never thought of it as an investment, but - something like that, probably. A Gibson, three US PRSes, 2 US Stratocasters, 3 Japanese ones, a Tele, a Sid Poole, a Tokai, a PRS SE, an Ibanez semi, a Steinberger Spirit .. oh and a bass. Actually substantially more than £10K.

3bolt79 and davidKOS like this.
  9. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member

I have a ton of worthless crap

and I’m gonna buy more!

Neil.C, Bladesg, Lankytwang and 6 others like this.
  10. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Yes, just about 10k.
    I see it like that - I can´t eat money but I can change guitars and gear. Esp. if money is worthless at any point in the (near) future.
    Of course that is an excuse and a bad argument but in really bad times owning something is better than having nothing.
    I would keep the best and change the rest for food and things I really need.
    Hopefully not needed but I never say never.
    I sometimes do but that is another story.

Life is good,
    Robin

mshivy, 3bolt79, Miotch and 1 other person like this.
  11. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Strat-O-Master

Bear in mind they're mostly cheap guitars, the acoustic, lap steel, amp. pedal and 3 of the electrics were under £100 each, and most expensive piece of gear I've ever bought was my MIM Lone Star Strat at £500. I never have much money, so I've become pretty good at sorting the bargains from the rubbish!

dublindave8456 and 3bolt79 like this.
  12. nadzab

nadzab Peace & Love, my Brothers & Sisters... Strat-Talk Supporter

$10K goes pretty dang fast these days...not just vis-a-vis music gear...

3bolt79 likes this.
  13. Willmunny

Willmunny Strat-Talker

14. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Depends on what you're after. Guitar-ing isn't a competition sport and road cycling can be but also doesn't have to be. I went through a few road bikes in my days of heavy riding. Finally spent $3000 on a custom frame from Tom Kellogg - the guy who designed Merlins back in the day. I built it up and that bike rode and handled like nothing else I ever threw a leg over, before or since. I was never fast - for sure young guys on far less expensive bikes could drop me with no effort at all. But I didn't care - I rode 4-6000 miles a year, lots of them in groups, lots of them solo. I was never more than a B rider, B+ on a good day - I could hang with the A guys until the road when up, but I guess that's always the difference. But nobody loved it more than i did. I raced in a few mtb races and decided I wasn't in it for that level of discipline or pain - I just loved riding. So I rode a ton on a bike that made it easier and more comfortable to ride a ton, and I won't apologize to anyone for having and riding the hell out of an awesome bike.

I'll never be a great guitarist either. But I'm good enough to make MUSIC I enjoy, which is really the whole point, right? It's not about who cn play the most notes or can solo in the most obscure scales. It's making music that you feel, and you can do it with a cheap guitar or an expensive guitar, but if you find the right guitar, whether cheap or expensive, it's well worth it. I have mid-level gear, I'm not a mid-level player in any technical sense, but I don't play technical stuff, I just try to play music.

-Ray

Flat Tire, Neil.C, Bladesg and 3 others like this.
  15. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth Strat-Talk Supporter

10k... piff... I got more then that just in amps... and twice as much in guitars... the extensive pedal collection that never ends is nothing to sneeze at either... you guys need to get on the ball!!!

dogletnoir, Bowmap, mshivy and 4 others like this.
  16. DM1975

DM1975 Strat-Talker

I’m wayyyyy over that number. $10k isn’t an ungodly amount when considering good gear and instruments in my opinion.

3bolt79 likes this.
  17. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

I would have been a lot higher than where I’m at now as I financed 4 surgeries for my wife with my previous guitar collection. It’s funny but I was a cork sniffer kind of guy at one time. Collings, Suhr, Anderson, Gibson Custom Shop,etc.

Miotch likes this.
  18. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Those surgeries a lot more important in life than a high-dollar name on a fancy guitar !!!

Deafsoundguy and 3bolt79 like this.
  19. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

Bladesg, Willmunny and Miotch like this.
  20. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

My wife would swear I have at least twice that....................and I feel uncomfortable working out the real figure ‘cos it’ll still be declared too much and I won’t be able to argue ‘you’re way out sweetheart’!

3bolt79 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.