Well that's 40 minutes I'll never get back...

PeteGeordie

Strat-Talker
Feb 12, 2021
UK
So in preparation for building a new wiring harness for my Ibanez Artcore hollow body I decided to check the circuit I would use before starting the soldering. All the controls laid out on a board on the desk, connect up using croc clip jumpers and finally hook up pickups to input on pots. LOTS of leads.

Very weak sound.

Re-check all connections, looks fine. Hmm. multimeter out to test everything... all ok but still very weak output.

Unclip everything and start again.

Hmm still weak output.

Pull some hair out (not a lot left of that).

Prepare to get beer when BINGO! As I was playing late last night I had my headphones plugged in to the amp DOH!!!

Unplug phones and shake the windows ;-)

What an idiot!

Stevem

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 3, 2014
NY
Next time if your questioning your guitars output and you have a voltmete, just set for AC volts and hook it across the end of your guitar cable, you should read at least 110 MV if all is well.

4pickupguy

Strat-O-Master
Sep 22, 2014
Texas
Wasted 40 minutes of your life.
Pulled hair out in frustration
But, at least you may have blown your headphones!:(

I do stuff like that all the time.:oops:

helliger

Strat-Talker
Feb 25, 2021
richmond
So in preparation for building a new wiring harness for my Ibanez Artcore hollow body I decided to check the circuit I would use before starting the soldering. All the controls laid out on a board on the desk, connect up using croc clip jumpers and finally hook up pickups to input on pots. LOTS of leads.

Very weak sound.

Re-check all connections, looks fine. Hmm. multimeter out to test everything... all ok but still very weak output.

Unclip everything and start again.

Hmm still weak output.

Pull some hair out (not a lot left of that).

Prepare to get beer when BINGO! As I was playing late last night I had my headphones plugged in to the amp DOH!!!

Unplug phones and shake the windows ;-)

What an idiot!

At least you got a beer so it wasn’t a complete waste.

guitarface

Most Honored Senior Member
Nov 11, 2012
New Jersey
Is that better or worse than wondering what the hell is going on and figuring out that your wah has been on the whole time?

PeteGeordie

Strat-Talker
Feb 12, 2021
UK
Anyho... harness all wired up but had to use one old 500K pot as one of the new ones had no continuity to one terminal. Tested outside the guitar and all good!

Tomorrow will be solder connecting the pickups and feeding the whole lot through the f-hole.

THEN I'm gonna make some noise

Leofender

Plink... Need a restring!!
Silver Member
Aug 28, 2021
Australia
I'd say we've all been there... Maximum Goobage moments last for 40 minutes sometimes... That's a good reminder to Question everything...!

I find going and making a cuppa, or a meal helps me get perspective. My mind works in background mode to solve things like that quite often!

Whatever, the bright side of the road to Can Morrison, it's good wholesome escapism you would probability be lost without it! :)