What’s next for Fender at NAMM 2020 ... new Strats?

Nolefinity

Strat-Talker
Jan 20, 2013
Dacula
I’m wondering what’s up Fender’s sleeve for the Winter NAMM show in January, and I can’t think of anything left to overhaul.

Over the past 3-4 years, they’ve replaced all their old stuff with American Original, Elite, Professional, and Performer guitars ... Vinteras, Player Series, California acoustics, Offset Series, Acoustasonics ... Bluesbreaker, Tonemaster, Mustang, and Blues Jr amps ... Fender Play, Tone, and Tune.

What other lineups are left to refresh? Or do they start again?

My two big theories (and hopes) ...

1. A $1000 Mexican Acoustasonic Telecaster

2. A new line of $1000 lacquer guitars (maybe limited Vinteras or a new type of Road Worn ... or, please, a new Highway 1).

Any thoughts, rumors, dreams, or hard news?

Last edited:

Jesse414

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 1, 2019
Wisconsin
I just want the American Specials back and sold at $999.00. If I ran fender I would streamline the whole lineup
Mexican would go back to standard
And cost $499
Road worn $599
American Specials $999
And Pros costing $1199
Then maybe 2 different reissue's
Custom shop orders would let you spec everything and choose from 50 custom only colors. :)

wayoutjohn

Strat-O-Master
Mar 27, 2018
NJ
I’m wondering what’s up Fender’s sleeve for the Winter NAMM show in January, and I can’t think of anything left to overhaul.

Over the past 3-4 years, they’ve replaced all their old stuff with American Original, Elite, Professional, and Special guitars ... Vinteras, Player Series, California acoustics, Offset Series, Acoustasonics ... Bluesbreaker, Tonemaster, Mustang, and Blues Jr amps ... Fender Play, Tone, and Tune.

What other lineups are left to refresh? Or do they start again?

My two big theories (and hopes) ...

1. A $1000 Mexican Acoustasonic Telecaster

2. A new line of $1000 lacquer guitars (maybe limited Vinteras or a new type of Road Worn ... or, please, a new Highway 1).

Any thoughts, rumors, dreams, or hard news?

Sub $1000 lacquer HYW 1? Sweet!

John C

Most Honored Senior Member
Silver Member
Jul 17, 2012
Kansas City
I posted this on the OP's similar post over on TDPRI - it appears that the American Elites are headed toward some kind of revision.

They were price cut everywhere a couple of weeks ago, now there are very few colors left on Fender's website (and some of them have the "notify me when in stock" flag). Plus a TDPRI member from the UK posted that he found that American Elites were unable to be ordered until after the first of the year.

This would be an early change for them - Fender has stuck to a 6-year product life for the American Deluxes (V1 was 1998-2003, V2 was 2004-2009, and V3 was 2010-2015) so if they were sticking to that schedule the next update for the American Elite would be coming for 2022, not 2020.

That being said it could be a quick refresh - something like all new colors, or possibly a return to rosewood fingerboards from that streaked ebony given the recent revision to the CITES documentation requirements for musical instruments. Or it could be a complete revision.

Also back when the Vinteras came out there was a video where a Fender rep was chatting with the Anderton's team in the UK and the rep mentioned that there were likely going to be some limited run lacquer models based on the Vintera line.

jaxjaxon

Strat-O-Master
Feb 8, 2019
SanluisObispo California
I hope they do something in the Thin line Telecaster area. God knows they make a lot of different strat types do they need more. and it would be nice to see them do a SE arch top but I doubt they will

gretev

Strat-O-Master
Oct 22, 2013
Switzerland
-Fender should make the mid 60‘s (1964-1966) style 3 tone sunburst also known as a „target burst“ an option on Custom Shop orders. They were only able to recreate this sunburst finish when I finally ordered a Masterbuilt Strat from Paul Waller who understood what I was looking for.

- Fender should create a Keith Richards Micawber Telecaster, a Ronnie Wood 1955 hardtail Strat, a John Frusciante 1955 Strat and 1962 Strat and the more obscure Jimi Hendrix Strat years like his first 1963 Strat in white and his mid 60‘s sunburst Strat he played a bunch of them; the years were 1964 and 1965. it would be interesting to see them recreated.

- Fender should also offer the 1954 U shape neck on Custom Shop orders

Last edited:

John C

Most Honored Senior Member
Silver Member
Jul 17, 2012
Kansas City
I wonder if they will revamp the American Professionals.. hoping it will have the nice slim C neck they had from their old American Standard .

When the American Ultras came out last month Fender's current CEO mentioned in an interview that Fender is getting their product life cycle down to 4 years from the previous 6-7 years. If that is true - the American Ultra series replaced the American Elite series after 4 years (Elite production run was late 2015 through about September 2019) then I would expect a replacement for the American Professionals in November/December 2020 as the American Professionals were introduced in December 2016.

So nothing for the NAMM show other than possibly different colors for the American Originals or American Performers.

TimJ

Strat-O-Master
Aug 5, 2012
London
This is pure "what I'd like to see" rather than anything I expect to see necessarily, but it would be cool to revamp the Roadhouse Deluxe line.

These are probably my ideal Strat config - flatter fingerboard, large headstock, and the mid-boost.

I already own the vintage white and candy apple red 2014 versions, as well as the Mystic Ice Blue, 3TSB, and Arctic White 2016 versions (I replaced the neck on the first 2 with a maple one for purely superficial reasons).

Whilst I already can't justify having 5 of the same guitar, I'd be perfectly happy to see what Fender can muster to try and force the even less justifiable scenario of having 6 or 7 of them.