What’s the sense in blocking someone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
I don’t see the reason to, you aren’t forced to open any of their threads.
But you see their stupid comments in other threads.

Option is much more useful than it used to be, where you still saw their threads, and saw them when quoted.
Now they are just gone, including quotes... which can be disturbing at times because you'll see someone post "You have no clue what you're talking about" but without the quote, you don't know who they are referring to.

White Dog

Strat-O-Master
Jan 19, 2020
Iowa
I (personally) only have 2 people "blocked" and/or (more specifically) "ignored". One each, on two sites (this and that one).
It's because 'they' can not do anything other than to reply to my posts with argumentative, let's start a fight comments.
There's a reason why forums put that rule out there (and offer the 'ignore' option)----so they can keep as many members as possible without shutting someone down.
If someone becomes IMPOSSIBLE---they (Moderators) will boot them out.

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
If someone becomes IMPOSSIBLE---they (Moderators) will boot them out.
Depends on the forum.
This one seems to be pretty hard to actually catch a ban, but posts are frequently deleted and threads are locked quickly if they go sideways.
Some forums, the mods will spend hours cleaning up a thread, post a warning, then start issuing 5 day Liberty passes.

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
Does not last long. Best to just put it behind you.

It seems some I've banished to the cornfield do not post much anyway. I've undun a few.
Not so much here, but on some automotive and firearms forums I've been on, it seems that by the time I put someone in the cornfield, they're usually within a week or two of catching a permanent ban.

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
I don’t see the reason to, you aren’t forced to open any of their threads.

It's not just that you don't see their threads, but their posts don't clutter up your screen either. It's a matter of housekeeping and time management.

It's about shaping your own experience. Everyone is here for different things and if someone doesn't add or contribute to what someone wants their experience here to be, why clutter the screen with their posts?

The mystery, for me, is why anyone bothers to announce they're doing it. I can see it under some circumstances but those who do it routinely, or make threats to do it, are just operating under the delusion that the other person cares. And if they aren't worth your time, just do it and move on.

Last edited:

Stratafied

Dr. Stratster
Oct 29, 2019
North of South
It's not just that you don't see their threads, but their posts don't clutter up your screen either. It's a matter of housekeeping and time management.

It's about shaping your own experience. Everyone is here for different things and if someone doesn't add or contribute to what someone wants their experience here to be, why clutter the screen with their posts?

The mystery, for me, is why anyone bothers to announce they're doing it. I can see it under some circumstances but those who do it routinely, or make threats to do it, are just operating under the delusion that the other person cares. And if they aren't worth your time, just do it and move on.
Makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.