What’s the sense in blocking someone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bladesg

Funk Meister
Silver Member
Oct 31, 2013
Australia
I’ll frequently click “show ignored content” and read comments from blocked people. Sometimes I say oh, that’s why I had them blocked. Other times I say oh, they’re not so bad, and I unignore them.

I do the same but I find they're usually go back on ignore at some point.

Doc538

Strat-Talker
Silver Member
Dec 10, 2017
Ma
I'm just bumbling along more worried about being blocked than blocking, check my self and I've not ignored anyone except my wife and I paid dearly for that....smack! I actually don't worry about being ignored as I was a middle child, quite use to it. But I never want to offend anyone, disagree sure and if I did ignore someone I would not bother to announce it, seems petty, could be a real heartbreaker.

Doc538

Strat-Talker
Silver Member
Dec 10, 2017
Ma
I am confused as usual ! where is the block link, I can only find ignore... I am worried about a member wanting to put us into a wood chipper.

geetaruke

Strat-Talker
Jan 31, 2017
Here
Although I’ve chosen to ignore, or not engage with many people over many different forums over the years, I’ve never actually used the ignore function to hide their posts. You miss out on the lolz like that. I may not want to converse with someone, but I wouldn’t give up the chance to laugh at them.

Robert Graf

Strat-Talker
Mar 20, 2016
Broadview Heights
I don’t see the reason to, you aren’t forced to open any of their threads.
Fragile ego. They never learned the lesson, 'names can never hurt you'. They've lost far too many arguments because of lack of wisdom, and they refuse to think for themselves. They can't stand it when they find out that they are wrong. It is never an actual intellectual who does this, it's always the weak minded.

Robert Graf

Strat-Talker
Mar 20, 2016
Broadview Heights
after 8 years i have not one in the corn or the parking garage.
your opinion just doesn't matter, and there is certainly no way to offend me.

To me, it can only be an insult, if it is true. If it is true, and it bothers yoiu, then change it, or change your mind. Too many people seem to expect that somehow, the world must be adjusted to suit them. The planet does not belong to us. We belong to the planet.

Robert Graf

Strat-Talker
Mar 20, 2016
Broadview Heights
If you let people annoy you, you give away your power to them. That would apply strongly in an online forum where all they are doing is posting words. Don't give them that power.
So, blocking them would be the ultimate surrender to them. Their words have been granted so much power that even the sight of them is too much for the mind.

bchaffin72

The Wizard next door................
Oct 4, 2008
Stratford,Ontario
I don't know. It's not a feature I've ever used on any forum and I don't really intend to. There was one forum, years ago, that was quite nasty. Even then, I didn't block, I just left it. End of problem..........................

For regular stuff, I have a high tolerance and I just don't get into certain things online. I might dip a toe initially, if it seems to be civil, but when one can quickly see where certain discussions will go, only a fool jumps in with both feet.:D

Last edited:

Robert Graf

Strat-Talker
Mar 20, 2016
Broadview Heights
Ok, five posts in a row, most of them with a preachy know it all tone, I surrender. You’re blocked.
How ironic. That's fine with me. I don't expect anyone to take my posts as being some sort of ultimate truth. I would expect any intelligent person to question any and everything anybody else expresses. I usually find that these 'you're blocked' messages are pretty much another way of trying to get the last word in, but they can't stop the other people posting.

Robert Graf

Strat-Talker
Mar 20, 2016
Broadview Heights
I don't know. It's not a feature I've ever used on any forum and I don't really intend to. There was one forum, years ago, that was quite nasty. Even then, I didn't block, I just left it. End of problem..........................

For regular stuff, I have a high tolerance and I just don't get into certain things online. I might dip a toe initially, if it seems to be civil, but when one can quickly see where certain discussions will go, only a fool jumps in with both feet.:D
I remember seeing the statement, 'fools rush in, but they get the best seats'. It is said that the horrible thing about humanity is that everyone thinks they are doing the right thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts