What’s with the ads all of a sudden?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Antstrat, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Robert Graf

Robert Graf Strat-Talker

Try umatrix. It takes a little learning, but it avoids adblock detection. Or edit your hosts file. Get hosts file editor+, if you're running windows.

2. Robert Graf

Robert Graf Strat-Talker

press and hold.

3. Doc538

Doc538 Strat-Talker

There was a time when Forums were started and run by enthusiast that wanted to share information about specific products or problems. Forums are not expensive to operate, but are time consuming staying on top of the garbage. I have several, but in medicine. Years ago, I added a few small ads to generate a little cash, but google decided to award only large corporations and crushed the little income to nothing. Now they own and operate comment sections on news sites like daily mail, they use your comments to fill data centers and sell the information. Limited membership is a nice way to gather a small income, but as some forums get really large they get bought by mega corps and here come the ads. Thankfully, ad blockers work quite well. I might have joined as a paying member, but then what about the other 30 forums I visit ? that would wipe out the social security check pretty quick.

4. jbylake

jbylake Fabulously Famous Nobody Silver Member

I think you're living in the past. However, you are mostly correct in my opinion. Sure, way back when..things were different. Forums were just mostly just a bunch of folks who enjoyed talking with others, who shared similar interests.

A forum of this size? Are you kidding? Folks think these mega sized, international forums are just run out of some kid's basement. Many years ago, that was true. These days, a forum of this size requires the leasing of servers, that might span many "physical" servers. It does cost money. And regardless of what one person says about "free hosting", or another thinks private forums should be free, no matter what the costs to the owner are. They are misinformed, and misguided in thinking they are "entitled" to visit free, just because they don't understand that most of these types of forums require a lot of time of the owner, that they have to start generating income.

A lot of times, the "ads" just generate fractions of one penny U.S. Click throughs, or when one clicks on the ad to go to the advertisers website get's you a few more penny's, and a purchase will get you a small percentage of the sale. So paying roughly a little over a dollar per month, for me, is worth not seeing all of those annoying ads
    Already had one person tell me they've been on this forum since the big bang, (paraphrasing), that their worth was more than anyone with only a year or three. (again, paraphrasing, my words not theirs, but that was their intent, that they have contributed so much, that they felt entitled to a free ride. Not an unusual comment from someone from there. Believe me, I've been "there" and a majority of them think like that.
    Apparently, the site owner would like to make a buck or two for themselves, for their trouble. It's fair, and it's called capitalism. If you hate that, you might just want to think about finding a forum for the "entitled" that thinks everything they want, should be free. No matter how much it costs someone else.

CB91710 likes this.
  5. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Stratmaster

They've got to make money somehow.

Baelzebub and tery like this.
  6. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Stratmaster

Very big basement...

jbylake likes this.
  7. DaMasta

DaMasta Strat-Talk Member

So happy for you and I'm not going to become a paid supporter. Threads with 20+ pages about filling a screw hole don't entice me to want to. Plus people with a sanctimonious attitude, like you, don't make me warm and fuzzy and you're not the only one like that here. I'll stick to free until I grow tired of the adds then move on myself.

Have a nice day! :)

Neil.C, rolandson and jbylake like this.
  8. jbylake

Heck stay. Maybe you can fill your own screw hole and feel warm and fuzzy. Just as good as any to sling "sanctimonious" insults as any. Anonymously. From what ever little nook and cranny you slinked out of. Probably more technical and playing talent as you will find anywhere else. We can always use a troll, as there are few of them here.

And same to you, have a glorious day.:)

Baelzebub likes this.
  9. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

You aren't alone brother...however, judicious use of the ignore feature can serve to limit your experience to subject matter that you find interesting while eliminating that, or at least those, which you find...not.

Neil.C and fezz parka like this.
  10. jbylake

Please sharpen your reading comprehension skills before calling someone "slanderous" Nobody said anything about you having a substandard intellect. I was just saying some contribute with money, and some sharing intellectually. It takes both, I think, to run a large, international forum such as this one. Knee jerk negative reactions, when there is no reason to do so, do no one any good here.

11. DaMasta

DaMasta Strat-Talk Member

It's always nice to get a little trolling in before you hit ignore though... I'm sure dude is sitting there holding is breath waiting on all the replies to this thread like he does everyday. Maybe he even practices once in a while... You think? I bet he has 30 guitars and a few cars to brag about as well. But is he really happy? LOL

rolandson likes this.
  12. crankit

crankit Strat-Talk Member

Get rid of the adds or i'll get rid of this site. Later; Crankit.

jbylake likes this.
  13. DJGranite

DJGranite Senior Stratmaster

Well as I type this there are only 1972 "guests" generating ad revenue...

It just good business to get that ad revenue from the 114 members currently online, that contribute to the content that brought the 1972 "guests", and their ad revenue, right?

s5tuart likes this.
  14. ZlurkCorzDog

ZlurkCorzDog INMATE #7XX7XX7

Done turned ugly. IBTL.

CB91710 and jbylake like this.
  15. jbylake

One nasty troll, but not "nasty" overall, just opposing opinions. :D

ZlurkCorzDog likes this.
  16. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

Get an Android device.

Well you asked for suggestions. :whistling:

ZlurkCorzDog and Antstrat like this.
  17. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

Still is. With the proper amount of editing... :D

rolandson likes this.
  18. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

I frankly don't understand all the fuss.

I'd never even seen an ad on this site until that one @Antstrat pointed out popped up. Didn't even know they had ads until they offered to get rid of them for a yearly fee.

It took all of 3 minutes to locate the offending server and add it to my blacklist. Now it's just a large empty space.

Unusual. And different. But not really earthshaking.

jbylake likes this.
  19. jbylake

Oh, another "entitled" one. C'ya. When you have the post count of some of the folks that contribute their vast base of knowledge, let me know, I'll buy you a membership. If not, and you feel entitled to others contributions (vast knowledge base) just because you were born, well, the rest of the forum may not care, but C'ya!

CB91710 likes this.
  20. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

It's not 1988 anymore.
    The forum is not being run out of someone's basement on a PC that they built from swap-meet parts.

These forums are hosted on Amazon, Google, or some other company's "server farm" and the forum owner pays for the bandwidth, storage space, and CPU utilization of their allocation of the VM.

Ya... that can easily cost tens of thousands a year.
    Then there's the forum software licensing, legal team on retainer, etc....
    And the forum pays for the products that are offered during the annual forum giveaways.

Contributions are not mandatory, so there is no requirement to post up financial disclosures, however, those numbers are reported to the IRS and appropriate state tax authorities, and are most likely a matter of public record if you care to/know where to look.

jbylake likes this.