What’s with the Custom Shop Strat Prices?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by bluesman1956, Nov 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Al Coda

Al Coda Strat-Talk Member

Thanks Simon :thumb:

simoncroft likes this.
  2. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

If I go to a high end restaurant it doesn’t matter what I paid, it ends up in the toilet.

Now talking about getting what you’ve paid or value per dollar. Here’s some actual facts. I’ve NEVER lost money on a custom shop purchase. Not even joking. I buy used at a good deal, I play it, I get bored with it, I sell it. Make some money on it or break ever, zero dollars lost.

I can’t say that for any fender I’ve ever bought. Well maybe a few but they were always a hard sell as everyone and their dog has a mid level Strat.

So whatever your opinion turned facts about what you think value is, is actually BS. I get it, your opinion matters to you but you only. You don’t have to explain to me what you think value is. My guitars don’t end up in the toilet.

baltiman likes this.
  3. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

There's a few sites that have old price lists posted, as well as archives of Frontline (though that is moving into the post-CBS era).
    My '78 Strat was $600... about $2300 in 2021 dollars. I was making $2.90/hr flipping burgers for some clown.

simoncroft and Al Coda like this.
  4. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

Hey cool, thanks. It always makes me laugh in these threads and prices. Fenders used to be affordable comments. Fender mid 1960’s is pretty much on par with what a new 1960’s AO would cost. Which is still not affordable to most but cool that Fender 60’s years later is still putting out a 1960’s reissue at what the original affordable 1960’s Strat would have cost.

simoncroft likes this.
  5. helliger

helliger Strat-Talker

The listed price isn’t what you have to pay for a custom shop. Like most things it’s negotiable.

You can call around and get a new custom shop strat for $3000. To build a partscaster with similar quality parts would be around 1400/1500. If you’re really good at leveling/dressing frets, making a nut etc. I think it could be as good as a custom shop. I’m not that good but a tech could set it up great for $250 (probably cheaper in other areas but expensive in the Bay Area)

It takes longer to make a custom shop guitar than a standard production model. I think they get to pick wood from a different stock as well.
    The Fender custom shop name also adds to the cost since they can.

if you buy a custom shop used you can sell it for the same price or more. I paid 2500 for a wildwood 10 strat used. It’s the best strat I’ve owned. Since it’s reliced I don’t care if it gets nicks. I mostly like relics because the necks feel nicer to me.

I’ve owned 3 custom shops through the years and don’t know how many other American made Fenders. None of the other Fenders were as good as the custom shops to me although I really liked some of those. Had a Jeff Beck strat in 93 that was great and I really like this professional 2 I picked up used from someone who only kept it a month. Custom shops I’ve had were better though.

is it worth it for a custom shop is kind of a personal question.

I’ve heard some people say that a squier that’s set up well with a few upgrades is just as good to them as a custom shop. It wouldn’t make sense for them to fork out for a custom shop unless it was an investment or something.

To me I like the uniqueness of custom shop guitars and think they play and sound better. When I factor in resale to what I actually pay it’s not a biggie for me

Intune likes this.
  6. Antstrat

Antstrat Dr. Stratster

Holy crap you're not joking.

Haven't owned a pickup in a long time and when a friend told me what he paid for his new truck I went naaaa, c'mon how much really.

Holy crap!

fos1, CB91710, budglo and 1 other person like this.
  7. Antstrat

Antstrat Dr. Stratster

Exactly.

Credibility: none.

8. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Most Honored Senior Member

I always let some other mug pay the new price and come in when the wrinkles are sorted and a nice bit of depreciation has set in.. :sneaky: :rolleyes:<Will's saving the planet you know!!!

9. Al Coda

If a burger in 1978 was $0.64, then a '78 Strat is the equivalent of 937 burgers.

... OK, I've officially spent too much time in this thread today :confused:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    CB91710, Antstrat and Will Lefeurve like this.
  10. Antstrat

Antstrat Dr. Stratster

I don't care what you buy and how much you spend.

If you're happy and post a NGD I am happy for you, glad you had a great day :thumb:

To this day I still can't understand why people get on their high horse and...you know the rest.

TN703800, Ebidis, Intune and 2 others like this.
  11. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Most Honored Senior Member

Would you like fries with those sir.. :sneaky:

Al Coda likes this.
  12. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

Yes dude you never lost money while pretty much everyone that buys and sells guitars is losing money to an extent....its the nature of the game its not real estate...the moment that guitar touches your hands(we are talking mere seconds) its a used guitar and loses a thousand right of the bat....but hey i dont even care about that...you didnt answer my question though....would you pay 400 dollars for a hotdog? and if that is a No (like any normal human being out there) then you would understand the exact reason why common sense people wouldnt pay cuisine prices for your hot dog instruments.....

13. wjsb316

wjsb316 Strat-Talker

I'm a lawyer, married to a doctor so yeah...I

IrishB, fos1, Neil.C and 3 others like this.
  14. Antstrat

Antstrat Dr. Stratster

Awesome! LOL!

Post of the day :thumb:

Stratoskater likes this.
  15. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

And I just paid $10 for an In-N-Out combo (first time I've bought fast food in probably 4 years). Holy crap prices have gone up!
    So at $10 for a combo, 937 Double-Double combos would be $9,370.
    Kinda makes a Custom Shop Strat look cleap :D

TN703800, Ebidis, simoncroft and 4 others like this.
  16. buzzword

buzzword Strat-Talker Silver Member

Retail stores order them. In fact I stumbled across a YouTube video recently that was an "unboxing" video for a store that had ordered and just received *43* Custom Shop guitars, and yes, they unboxed all 43. URL below.
    They want to provide "unique" guitars to their customers.

Archtops and Intune like this.
  17. Al Coda

This thread is making me hungry ;)

CB91710 and Antstrat like this.
  18. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Strat-O-Master

20200204_231749_20200816222645780.jpg

The last CS strat I owned, a '59 built by Paul Waller. Very nice guitar, but IMO not worth what I bought, and subsequently sold, it for.

As pointed out, the Strat is such a simple design that it can be difficult to justify the high price. Even in the hands of a "Master" like Paul, there is only so much difference that can be made with such a simple design.

simoncroft, Al Coda and Intune like this.
  19. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth

Here is a 62’ CS and a CS 64’ Deluxe amp. It took me 2 months to have the guitar made ( the CS closes for two weeks for Christmas ) and I ordered the amp on Friday and the next Thursday it was on my door step. I got the amp at 50% off list and I got the guitar for about 1/3 of what it would cost from my local shop. The lucky part of my previous post that I failed to mention was I have a Artist Deal at Fender and can pretty much get whatever I want… if I ask nice and don’t mind paying a little.

86A38CAA-AC0F-417C-BD9C-3EBDA3551DC5.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
  20. Antstrat

Antstrat Dr. Stratster

Gaaaaawd! What an overpriced hotdog from a hamburger diner! I coulda built 8 partscasters that are better!

Glyderslead, Al Coda and Intune like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.