What’s with your neck?

StratMike10

Dr. Stratster
Apr 8, 2010
Florida
My Strat has a fat neck, my LP is a R8, so real fat as well.
Thin necks are hard on my hands, and it has been a bit of an issue because I play mostly acoustic and I cant find one with a substantial neck.

GitGeek

Livin' After Midnight
Silver Member
Oct 2, 2020
Denver
I've played all shapes and widths. Not big on compound necks, throws me off.

About the only must-have for me on a neck is no poly, no lacquer. I can do a lacquered maple fretboard but the back needs to be as smooth and dry as possible.

StratoMutt

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2019
SE Pennsylvania
I guess my point is, I have large enough hands, and I have long fingers, but I like slim necks. Like I said, I'm weird.
Weird? The instrument to measure your level of weird has not been invented yet.

I'm 6' 2" (6' 3" if I remember to stand up straight like a proper homo sapiens) with 8.5"+ hands. Bit of a hunchback knuckle dragger I am.

I can play any neck I have well enough, but love the feel of the Warmoth fatback necks I have most. My '73 LPC feels like a banjo neck (sort of) by comparison. I never got the dislike of some neck profiles people mention. Play what you have.

The D12-28 1.875" at the nut neck is dreamy.

Ebidis

Providing the world with flat bends since 1985
Nov 14, 2013
Alabama
Weird? The instrument to measure your level of weird has not been invented yet.

I'm 6' 2" (6' 3" if I remember to stand up straight like a proper homo sapiens) with 8.5"+ hands. Bit of a hunchback knuckle dragger I am.

I can play any neck I have well enough, but love the feel of the Warmoth fatback necks I have most. My '73 LPC feels like a banjo neck (sort of) by comparison. I never got the dislike of some neck profiles people mention. Play what you have.

The D12-28 1.875" at the nut neck is dreamy.
My level of weird may be truly immeasurable.

However, I can play any neck, and I don't hate fat necks, I just prefer slimmer necks.

Cali Dude

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 9, 2020
California
I can get along with most necks and radii. I enjoy the soft v with 9.5, the modern c with 12, and modern C necks with 14 & 16 radii. After playing each guitar for a bit, I just seem to adjust.

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now
I like slim necks with tall frets and a 9.5 or larger radius. My current favorite Telecaster neck is my 60's Baja Telecaster.

That being said my favorite Fender neck is the Hwy 1/American Special neck which I believe is a modern C with a 9.5 radius but with jumbo frets. IMO if they made that exact neck with a standard headstock shape it would be one of Fender's most popular necks but a lot of people really hate the large headstocks.

Stu78

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 20, 2019
Scotland
I'm weird. I'm 6'3" and do not have small hands, but I like slim necks. Modern C works great for me.

My Strats and my black Tele have slim Moden C shaped necks, my LTD has what they call a sim U shape, but it seems more like a D shape to me. Whatever, it's slim. Not like Ibanez wizard slim, but more like the Fender modern C slim.

Anyway, those are my favorite guitars. My LP has a baseball bat, and it doesn't get as much play time.

My Baja Tele has a pretty beefy soft V neck, but because it's a V, it has no shoulders at all, and feels slimmer than it really is, so I get along with it pretty well.

I guess my point is, I have large enough hands, and I have long fingers, but I like slim necks. Like I said, I'm weird.
Haha, you are not alone. I'm 6 foot and have huge hands and long fingers. My Strats are a combo of modern C 9.5, 70's U shape 7.5 and basball bat C shape on my Tokai which is 9.5. I manage fine on all even with the 7.5 radius. Not a fan of anything bigger than 9 5. Just feels to flat. 🙂

FuncleManson

Strat-O-Master
May 23, 2021
Moline, IL
Fat necks for me. I have weirdly large hands for a small guy. When I order custom necks I go with Warmoth boatnecks (1" all the way, soft V to C profile) or fatbacks (1" U all the way) or Musikraft's C 90 99 (.900 at the first fret to .990 at the 12th, C shape). Off the shelf, I can deal with medium neck carves, but really try and avoid thin ones (anything less than about .880 at the 12th fret).

biffnix

Strat-Talk Member
Mar 10, 2015
Bishop, California, USA
The "Modern D" on the American Ultra series is just the perfect fit for my hands. I've never played a neck I like more on any Fender. The rolled edges, the slightly thinner (but not too thin) profile, the satin finish - I find it's just the best. And, having a modern compound radius is just icing on that cake.

I haven't had a chance to try the "Augmented D" on the Ultra Luxe series, so I'll reserve judgment on the best Fender neck profile until I lay hands on one of those, but for all of the Fenders I've ever played, the American Ultra 'Modern D' is far and away the one I like most of all...

StratoStrummer

Strat-Talker
Feb 26, 2021
Puglia
Pretty fair amount of neck shapes and radius’s. U , C , V or soft V . What’s your preference? I’m pretty much 9.5 modern C . Short fingers are my problem.
Oh I've never understood what U C V etc means.
But I like 9.5 and 7.25 on stratocasters and 12 on gibson les paul and flying v.
I think I don't like the 50s neck on Gibsons, I tried a les paul studio once and there was something wrong with it

keys88

Strat-Talker
Apr 4, 2014
Columbus, OH
I have smaller hands too so I don't get along with fat necks. I have some trouble with D profile necks too, even if they aren't super thick. Something about the high shoulders just makes them uncomfortable for my short fingers. I generally get along well with a modern C profile. But I also have a Dean Z79 that has a V profile and I love it. It's surprisingly comfortable and easy to play.

PS - I'm jealous of you guys that can wrap around the low E with your thumb. That's a no-go for those of us cursed with short fingers