Join Strat-Talk Today

What’s your fav radio station and where is it from?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by DeMelo, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Senior Stratmaster

Ditto

My "radio stations" are YouTube and THIS station's "What are you listening to now".

2. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

Caroline, from the pasto_O

3. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Senior Stratmaster

CKUA - huge range of music, very few commercials, funded almost entirely by the listeners, very few repeats, announcers choose their own playlist. Can be heard via app or CKUA.com

4. Supernut

Supernut Strat-Talker

I usually play my mp4, but I really like B.B.King's Bluesville on Sirius XM.

5. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Senior Stratmaster

Jazz 88 88.3 San Diego the best jazz radio station possibly in the world. Run by San Diego City College they have an extensive vinyl collection, various different hours of genre jazz, just an incredible station paid for by donations. You can stream it https://www.jazz88.org/. You will never hear the same song in the same week on this station.

https://www.jazz88.org/

Boognish likes this.
  6. Belexes

Belexes Strat-Talker

I gave up on radio long ago. I am a music collector, so I just rip mixes for the car. The only radio I listen to now is sports talk radio and very little of that.

I lost interest in radio when the AOR format died. We had a killer station in Boise that I loved. KIDQ/Q104...The Rock of Idaho. It went off the air in 1985, but that station played great stuff.

The classic rock stations left here in Boise suck with the commercials and the heavy rotation of very few songs. I hate repetition and I hate they don't play deeper cuts. It is always the same stuff. If they are going to play G-N-R and Journey and Def Leppard all the time, at least play something other than Sweet Child of Mine, Don't Stop Believing or the Hysteria album...geez.

rcole_sooner likes this.
  7. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Last night when forced to put the radio on, I landed on what used to be an old standby for me - WHDA FM 105.5. During a commercial break, they said they were broadcasting from "WDHA's Coors Light studio". What!?!? Bad enough that concert venues are all owned by giant corporations, but now radio station studios also?

The Spotify playlists that @Speedmaster mentioned figure into a lot of my music listening in the car these days. When they repetitive, I move onto a different playlist.

Speedmaster likes this.
  8. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

The only time I listen to regular radio is a morning show on the way to work

https://fm99.com/rumble/

Other than that it's Pandora

9. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Senior Stratmaster

When I lived in Chicago.....93.1 WXRT was the best radio station in the city.....they were independently owned by Mr. XRT.....now they are owned by CBS and we all know what happens when the eyeball purchases small companies... :D:D

Back starting in the 70's the DJ's programmed their own music...you might hear Sinatra followed Zappa and then the entire side of Who's Next.....great times....

Blues Breakers was a great show on Sunday evenings, Saturday morning Flashbacks, where they would recap a year in History from 8:00 to noon...Featured artist Friday, they would usually have 2 artists (groups) and highlight them throughout the day, Thursdays was new release day....good times....

xland and Speedmaster like this.
  10. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

I switch up between:
    WMOT 89.5 - MTSU college station, used to play jazz, I stayed with them when they changed format to 'roots/Americana'

WPLN 90.3 - mostly NPR, with some PRI, APM, and CBC (Canadian) programs/features.

WRLT 100.1 - "Lightning 100" adult alternative, still a comercial station but independent/non-corporate

Murfreesboro, Nashville, and Franklin, TN respectively

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  11. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

There isn't any good radio stations around here.
    That's why I use pandora

12. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Strat-Talker

The last time I found a radio station I really dug was in Kauai, Hawaii. I had traveled there on vacation in 2013, taking a couple of iPods with me for entertainment. As I was driving in from Lihue Airport, I scanned the radio dial and landed on KSHK, Shaka 103.1 FM. And my iPods never left my suitcase!

Sadly, as all things come to pass, the DJs have moved on, the ownership has changed, and the format -- still a rock 'n' roll station -- isn't what it used to be. They can be heard on TuneIn, but now they sound like just about every other station out there. :(

Now I just listen to talk radio or baseball if I listen to radio at all.

13. Speedmaster

Speedmaster Strat-Talker

WXRT still has actual local DJs so they still sometimes play interesting stuff, but too frequently they sound just like any other classic rock format, playing the same 100 songs classic rock stations have been playing for the past 30 years, only occasionally interrupted by something only 10 years old.:D

My gripe with corporate radio is the sameness. I used to travel a lot for work and it was kind of sad that all the local stations, which used to have regional quirks, were suddenly all franchises of Clear Channel using either the Jack or K Hits format.

crawdaddy likes this.
  14. Stark

Stark Still an idiot Strat-Talk Supporter

In SoCal:
    KDAY, KMET, KROQ, KLOS
    NorCal:
    KSAN, KITS, KYLD

15. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

in the 80's it was classic rock 1070 am krbe houston texas

now i like breakfast the beatles on xm radio

Boognish likes this.
  16. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

WSM 650 AM - Nashville , Tennessee … home of The Grand Ole Opry

Boognish likes this.
  17. mad axe man

mad axe man Senior Stratmaster

only listen to talk radio am640 toronto most music is crap

18. Stratafied

Stratafied Strat-O-Master

Now it’s pandora ...radio is horrible I used to like Deep tracks on sirius .

Boognish likes this.
  19. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

KMFA 89.5. Classical music radio. Beats all the other crap that's played on corporate radio by far.

I also listen to NPR from time to time but get tired pretty quick of politics. Theres another local station KOOP 91.7 I listen to from time to time.

20. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

KRBE!!!!!!

henderman likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.