What’s your favorite HUMBUCKER?

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by ThebiggestJerk, Jan 7, 2021.

1. ChrisD

ChrisD Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Sorry only seeing this now!

I'd say the Rebel Yell is closer to the JB tbh. I also have a Holy Diver and it's similar to the Rebel Yell so to me they are both in JB territory. I'd say the Rebel Yell has less bass than the Holy Diver and a more civilised top end. Both are excellent pickups. I prefer the Revel Yell for clean stuff though. Neither has that nasally thing you can get with a JB. Both are clearer.

I'm tempted to try Bks Cold Sweat, it's a high powered ceramic humbucker. I can't say it's like the Super Distortion but I'm sure its in the ballpark.

sam_in_cali likes this.
  2. InversePolarity

InversePolarity Strat-Talk Member

490R / 490T

3. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

It takes all of 1 minute to cut the screws shorter.

Cerb likes this.
  4. Ebidis

Super 80 "Flying Fingers"...

Sounds like an awesome low budget 1970's kung fu movie. :D

Cerb likes this.
  5. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

Or the first episode of Master Chef for the blind...

Bladesg and Ebidis like this.
  6. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

Already changed the pickups :D

7. Ebidis

LOL :D

8. Linc Gray

Linc Gray Strat-Talk Member

SCN’s if you can find them.

9. kjatexas

kjatexas Strat-Talk Member

Lollar Imperial humbuckers. I have two F spaced on a Strat and they sound great.

10. DaveFreytag

DaveFreytag Strat-Talk Member

Seymour Duncan Hot Rail or JB in the bridge usually for Strats, and I’m pretty happy with the stock Texas Specials in the other positions.

11. okrush67

okrush67 New Member!

I have three bridge that I like:

Have strat with a Pearly Gates that I really like, I have an old 80's Yamaha RGX that has a Dean Micahel Schenker Lights Out Ceramic that is fairly brutal and sort of a one job but does it well and as an experiment bought a Dillon used to try out Gibson scale (I play Fender pretty exclusive....feels right) and it has a Jim Wagner Godwood in the bridge that has a much sweeter sound thatn the other two.

I have played a lot at refinishing and building guitars and honestly there are a lot of fine sounding pickups out there.

Honorable mention to the Iron Gear S series I had with an Air Norton, True Velvet, Tone Zone set up. Regret selling that one.

Not much for neck humbuckers....have a thing for P90's at the neck.....something in the tone there

12. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Strat-Talk Member

For a strat I really like the DiMarzio Chopper or the actual Shawbucker.

They balance well with single coils.
    Even with overwound strat single coils I found vintage PAF styles were overpowering.

13. Barryjones

Barryjones New Member!

Can anybody suggest a P90 for my strat----Right now I have the Lace Sensor PU. I don't want to alter the body in any way.

14. GlockandRoll

GlockandRoll Strat-Talk Member

Pearly gates, bar none.

15. pazman6

pazman6 Senior Stratmaster

I like the Gibson 498T in both of my early 1990's Gibson Les Paul Standards

16. siegeld

siegeld New Member!

Rabbit hole indeed.
    In over 30 years of playing I have a rather large sample size to draw from.
    Obviously this is a question of personal preference for an answer that is impacted by so many other factors from set-up to other gear/hardware, to player's hands and soul. But I'm in your camp. I was lucky enough to find a 2015 ES Les Paul that came from the factory with double cream Dimarzios (I am pretty certain they are the PAFs or a very close derivative. In any case, once I lowered them a bit they fell into orgasm zone which they continue to occupy. IMHO they sound better than the MHS HBs that everyone raves about and anything else I have heard in an LP (up close). The stock pickups on my Tom Anderson: M1 and TM2, I would also consider untouchable.

SKYDOG4570 likes this.
  17. SKYDOG4570

SKYDOG4570 "I didn't do it!" I'm serious, I really didn't! Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

Slightly south and east of where I want to be
    I'm all over the place with all types of pickups, H, S, and P90; the latter I tip my hat to Farlin and Gibson.

Duncan Jazz and PAF
    DiMarzio has several I like DP190/191 are bottom of the heap, but get considerable playing time.
    I even have a Fishman Fluence active Humbucker LP Style with coil tapping that I am very fond of.

Alnico Humbuckers usually a bit overwound get top billing on Humbuckers, but I do like my Blackface Gretsch and Shawbucker Fenders' too.

Pickup sounds and playing styles are the only reason my collection is more than two HH guitars.

18. Guitar boy

Guitar boy New Member!

Lindy Fralin True Buckers. Or Lindy Fralin 9k, 8k set. In my opinion after 45 years of playing almost everything pales in comparison.

19. Dain Bramage

Dain Bramage Strat-Talk Member

Well, I love my Big Apple Strat. But if we are discussing rails single-coil size, it depends on the rest of the Strat. Bright maple neck/alder body I found DiMarzio Tone Zones w a 22nF tone cap best balance (I always wire them "split able"), If I want a full but still chimey from a Maple neck (any body wood except ash) I have great tone and tons of versatility from all-position DiMarzio DP-218, 22nF cap set-up. I also have a Rosewood fretboard alder body with DiMarzio SDS-1's (ask them and they will make you a RWRP for the middle position) (I don't remember off-hand what tone cap) that totally screams. Among my favorites is a maple neck with Seymour Duncan Lipsticks; remember to run the strings closer due to reduced pull from the metal casing, that have a unique, "chippy" mid tone and just sound incredible. It all depends on what it is that your ear wants.

20. Joe R

Joe R Strat-Talk Member

Great question.
    My favorite humbucker depends on the guitar it's in. I am unimpressed by humbuckers in Strats. I know many players love them in Les Pauls, but for me, my favorite combination is a Gibson PAF (57 Classic, Burstbuckers, MHS) style humbucker in a semi-hollow body. Of all the Gibsons and Fenders that I own, my favorite is a Gibson Midtown Custom with Burstbuckers. It has a solid carved mahogany back and sides (one piece), and a solid 1/4" thick maple top, two F holes, and hand wired components. I prefer AlNiCo 2 to AlNiCo 5 magnets.