What’s your favorite HUMBUCKER?

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by ThebiggestJerk, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

I love the hot rails neck pickup in my B-Bender Tele. I love the Throbak pickups which are the closest you can get to a real PAF. The Seth Lover and Antiquity pickups are great too.

2. meat cheese meat

meat cheese meat Strat-Talk Member

James Tyler Secret - for the bridge only. Unmistakably a humbucker but with an airy single-coil flavor. For sheer beauty nothing else comes close. Fantastic in S-type guitars (and others). medium output

3. bodawgone

bodawgone New Member!

Lindy Fralin Pure PAF’s. Plenty of attitude when you dig in and clean up real nice with the volume control

4. Stevn

Stevn Strat-Talker

Seymore Duncan

5. 76standard

76standard Strat-Talk Member

Seymour Duncan Seth Lover set. I’m more for PAF pups and this set works well with my ‘76 Les Paul Standard. For the money these deliver in spades. Alnico II magnets sweeten up the bridge tone.

Attached Files:

6. s5tuart

s5tuart Perfecting time travel since 2525

Gibson 500T

7. mikeford

mikeford New Member! Gold Supporting Member

The PAF's on my 61 Gibson 335.

Mike

8. StratUp

StratUp Strat-Talker

The Deluxe with mini's wins unless you need super-hot. Sweet as sugar, nasty as Leona Helmsley, the perfect place in between HB's and single coils with the sound of both. The only reason you don't see more posts for them is that people haven't actually worked them.

myredstrat likes this.
  9. Chaplin

Chaplin Strat-Talk Member

While I think many guitar players take the search for perfect pups too far, I've never personally heard a serious guitar player take this stance. Tone aside, if you play country and you buy a guitar with EMG 81/85, you'll just play country with those? If you're a shredder and you have a thin sounding sc strat bridge pickup with poor harmonics, you'll just settle for that? I've gone through massive tone quests with pups and learned some lessons about going overboard, but I also learned some pups are vastly superior to others and the tone produced encourages me to play more often and makes me smile bigger while doing so. I bet you love EVH's tone based on your avatar. Talk about a tone chaser perfectionist and thank god he was

Stonetone likes this.
  10. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

yes EVH changed everything :)

11. ScottB2112

ScottB2112 Strat-Talk Member

One of my Strats is set up with a DiMarzio Tone Zone-S in the bridge, Area 58 middle and Area 61 neck. It's dead quiet, even on stages with the noisiest power. The Tone Zone-S might be the perfect classic rock band pickup. Especially wired to the 2nd tone control.

12. stratomania

stratomania Strat-Talk Member

Seymour Duncan Black Winter set is a big satisfaction for me cause I prefer real humbuckers on my strats.

13. hairy-dude

hairy-dude Strat-Talk Member

Seymour Duncan Full Shred for the bridge position. Got five guitars with them in. For the neck, I'll go for a SD Jazz if I can fit a full size humbucker, or an SD Hot Rails in a top routed body with a Floyd Rose, or a SD Cool Rails in a strat with a traditional trem screwed down.

I put a Fender DH1 and two SCN's in a squier strat, and love them.

I'd like to try a Seth Lover in my Tokai SG. I put one in a customer's guitar and thought it sounded great. I'd also like to try a Full Shred neck version, and compare it to the Jazz.

14. ChrisDowning

ChrisDowning Strat-Talk Member

Over the years you begin to realise what going on with all these posts and discussions on HBs. The ones that get air time on LPs seem to be the Alnico 4 based pups with a low ohm resitance caused by light winding. This all emulates the loss of magnetic strength as the old pups age over 60-70 years. AND that the originals were all over the place when it came to what was actually made in what period and what was available that month. So Alnico 2 3 and 4 in lots of early stuff - together with heavier 41/42 gauge wire = less windings. So pups like that are the Amber 59 (A4), SD Pearly Gates (A2), Lollar Imperials (A2), and Fralin Vintage PAF the underwound options (A2)

15. pmoore

pmoore Strat-Talker

Seymour Duncan Psyclone

16. apm1991

apm1991 Senior Stratmaster

I have the same in my PRS S2... I really like the neck pup.. the bridge pup is lacking a bit for me... would like a little more mids, make it more full and rounded.... still sounds nice though... I'm thinking of putting in a SD JB in the bridge

17. HazyPurple

HazyPurple Strat-O-Master Silver Member

I put an APH II zebra in the neck of my Ash Charvel, sweeeet!

Ebidis likes this.
  18. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Strat-Talker

There are a million good humbuckers, and I like all sorts. The ones I personally have now include Lindy Fralin Sunbucker, Gibson 490's,, Suhr Thornbucker, DiMarzio mini humbuckers and DiMarzio Transition.

19. Bakelite1

Bakelite1 Strat-Talk Member

I really like Bill Lawrence designed Wilde L-90s. I'm using a 2.8H model in the neck of a tele. It has great definition. You can hear everything!

Linc Gray likes this.