Join Strat-Talk Today

What’s your -hate to Love- Guitar.

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by ThebiggestJerk, Dec 1, 2019.

1. ThebiggestJerk

ThebiggestJerk Strat-Talk Member

Apart from our strats, We all have that black sheep of our collection that we just hate to love.... but it plays and sounds incredible. It could be a toy or an 80’s hair band special. I saw Jack Pearson playing a $129 Squier Bullet on stage as his number one. It’s cheap and odd be we love em’.

What’s yours?

Mine is this $169 LTD (ESP) Viper 10.
    It’s a clearly SG inspired metal-ish, thing. It’s a cheapie that that I ordered as a back up for another LTD I had in this metal band gig I did years back. The Strat and Tele were not cutting it for this gig. I needed the look without the price tag. This was shipped to me so I didn’t have a chance to ply it first. It had junk for hardware but the sound and the resonance were superb and the playability was amazing. I sanded the thick paint off the back of the neck, I put 2 passive EMG humbucker with all EMG pots, an aftermarket Bigsby and locking tuners. I have guitars that have real PAF’s but these humbucker a have crystal clear clarity.
    It’s does some SRV better than my strat. I’m trying hard as hell to get my brain around “does it sounds good” rather than other cliche’s.

Attached Files:

2. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

I definitely wouldn't expect that guitar to be playing SRV haha. They make black Bigsby's?

3. ThebiggestJerk

ThebiggestJerk Strat-Talk Member

Aftermarket unlicensed ones.
    It does Couldn’t Stand the Weather with the neck better than my strat. The humbucker in the neck on this is a bridge pup.

Attached Files:

4. DeMelo

DeMelo Strat-O-Master

I don't really have a guitar that I hate to love.

I hate them or love them.

A typical stratocaster is my all time favorite. They're not exactly the most comfortable ones, though: my wrist illness gets real nasty whenever I play a strat for too long. A 3 hour gig is indeed painful.

The most comfortable guitar I've played was a Gibson SG '62 reissue I owned for a while, but I hated the tone. Got rid of that piece of **** and don't regret it.

My Rickenbacker is almost as comfortable as the SG was, and much more civil tonewise. I have zero hatred feelings towards it.

5. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

My mid-eighties MIJ strat that I bought new in college. It would not stay in tune for more than one song. Sold it.. no regrets.

6. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich Strat-Talker

I don't have one. But if I did, it would be a Les Paul. I fall in love with them and think I want one until I go play some and realize, no, I don't want one, but I still do. But I don't. But I do.

If that makes any sense.

Stratoman10 and henderman like this.
  7. fezz parka

fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

FWIW...not all of us have a black sheep. But...my least favorite guitar I own is the one that's worth the most, my 1965 Strat.

Out of the 30 or so guitars I own...it's the one that I just go "meh".

This guitar, a Peavey Patriot, is a sleeper. The Super Ferrite pickups, the 24.75 scale, and the wiggle stick are a killer combo. I love this guitar, because goobers look at it like its a turd...until they hear it. Then they shut the f up. :D

165387-d68574380cef8da3889bf31b9f44aabb.jpg

8. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Not what the folks here might think it is. :D But if I was in a place where it was a choice between that, or nothing at all, then...

9. misterwogan

misterwogan Senior Stratmaster

If I have to love them, then they become someone else's to love or hate.

10. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Strat-O-Master

Mine is probably this:

image.jpeg

It's a partscaster made from a '90s Squier body and a Legend neck. The list of things 'wrong' with it is pretty long. Plywood body, ceramic pickups, small bridge block, cheap tuners... On top of that, the frets are horrible, as is the neck angle, which is currently improved slightly by a bit of card in the neck pocket. Most people would run a mile from this guitar, but somehow it sounds awesome, and does the best SRV sound of all my Strats (including one with Texas Specials), although that may be because it's the only one that's tuned to e flat. The high action means it's great for slide too.

I am planning to change the neck for a Squier Affinity one, which should play a bit nicer, and put a Tele bridge pickup in it, just to see what happens!

Duane_the_tub likes this.
  11. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Senior Stratmaster

Jackson Soloists. I have two of them, and they're the nicest playing, nicest sounding instruments I've ever played. Virtually every show I get asked:

"Why are you playing a metal guitar in a punk band?"
    "What made you rock a Jackson?"
    "You're giving off metal vibes but you play in a punk band?"
    "Careful, you'll take someone's eye out with that headstock!"

I know, they don't really fit the image in a punk act. But then, neither do strats. When I play my MiM Strat or my Squier 70s VM, I get "Strats suck, why are you playing one?" until they hear it!!

It's like the Punk Police will only let you be if you rock a LP or a Tele. Everything else is verboten. Imagine if I decided to start playing a PRS - they'd have my b@lls on a platter!

So, this isn't so much a case of me hating to love, it's others really, since I love my Jacksons, and I love my Strats. But, you get the idea.

I'm thinking I should get a Jackson Rhoads next, or maybe a Strandberg with the fanned frets and like 18 strings or something, just to wind them all up good and proper.

12. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

My black sheep is a 1975 LoPrinzi LR15 that belonged to a high school friend. His wife gave it to me after he died. The guitar sounds fantastic, but he didn’t take care of it very well and it has a bridge belly that has raised the action on the upper frets. I can’t sell it, and I’ve yet to find anyone I can trust to sort it out.

13. rgbedard

rgbedard non-compliant Strat-Talk Supporter

A friend gave me a Fender Avalon that had been in the back of a closet since the 80's. She figured that I could sell it or trade it in on a purchase. Stored in the back of a humid clost for decades with no truss rod adjustments, it came to me with a badly bowed neck (about 150/1000 action at the 12th). Part of the problem was a tilted, badly-fitted plastic saddle.

The truss rod took most of the excessive relief out of the neck, and I fitted a new bone saddle to it and got the action down to around 90/1000.

I normally prefer dreads for the better bottom end, but this parlor guitar is comfortable to play sitting cross-legged (how I most often play), and after replacing the saddle, it sounds pretty darn good.

Now, I kind of like this guitar, but kind of don't like it, either. Still want to flip it, but I like playing it, lol. Probably will have to look at parlor guitars now.

14. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

No black sheep here. If I didn't like them I wouldn't have bought them

Jeepocaster likes this.
  15. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Strat-O-Master

For me it is pretty much any strat. I just can't seem to get along with them. That said I always have one. When you need the strat sound nothing else will do. My current strat is a Deluxe Piayer's which out of all the strats I've owned is the one I "hate" the least :)

16. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Strat-Talker

Punk rock is supposed to be about anarchy and no rules. Play your Jackson loudly!

guitartwonk likes this.
  17. sgarnett

sgarnett Strat-O-Master

I wouldn't call it hate to love exactly, but I think the "relic" craze is just about the dumbest thing to ever hit the guitar scene. To me, intentional damage is nothing short of vandalism. While dings happen, Dad taught me to take care of my guitars, and back then the guitars we had were ALL nitro. They still didn't look like we shoveled the driveway with them. Even the roughest, a battered old 00-18 that Dad bought when money was tight after selling off his nicer stuff, got no worse in his care through many gigs.

So ... if the MIM Road Worn Strats weren't just so d*mn good, there's no WAY I would own <ahem> two of them .... :p

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 3:53 PM
  18. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Strat-Talker

I don't hate to love it, but I'm kinda embarrassed to love it. I bought this to be a travel guitar: carbon fiber, so airlines baggage carriers can toss it around and it won't suffer. Turns out it plays great and sounds terrific! Not cheap, at $599, but I think it's more than paid for itself. I keep it on my couch, and so I'm picking it up and playing it all the time!

https://klosguitars.com/pages/guitars

[​IMG]

guitartwonk likes this.
  19. jjudas

jjudas Strat-O-Master

Mine is a black '04 Epiphone SG Special that my mom gave to me for my birthday in 2004. I was just getting back into electric guitar again after just playing acoustic for many years. I don't really like the guitar but it plays and sounds fantastic! It has a little neck dive from the Grover tuners I installed on it. I've replaced the tuner buttons and moved the upper strap pin which has improved the neck dive but hasn't eliminated it. It has Guitar Madness Hexbucker pickups in it currently, which sound glorious. I'll never sell it because of the sentimental attachment.

20. Ferpie

Ferpie Strat-O-Master

This one is definitely a love to hate one

if I would ever find a deal on a Wylde audio Warhammer I would buy this thing in a heartbeat.

A927DF06-F237-4174-81D2-B9463D43E6D3.jpeg

I wouldn’t know what to do with it but I’d Djent this thing with the most distortion possible. Sometimes making noise is all I need.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.