Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Other (name it!)

Votes: 12 30.0%

• Total voters

Snaked Strat

Strat-Talk Member
Mar 17, 2022
Australia
Hey, guys. I’m looking into buying another amp or two, and wondering what I should add to those I have now, so I have most of the “amp/tone spectrum” covered. I value your collective wisdom and experience, so please let me know what you think.

What I have:
Princeton Reverb
5150 Iconic Combo
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 Combo
Fender ’68 Custom Pro Reverb
Supro Delta King 12

What am I missing? I’m just listing brands here, but if you have a particular amp model (or amp type) in mind, I’d appreciate your mentioning that.
Vox?
Marshall?
Blackstar?
Orange?
Friedman?
Dr. Z?
Magnatone?
Morgan?
Boutique?
Other?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

A well rounded guitar player should have experience with all of Fender, Marshall, Vox and Mesa Boogie amps imo.
You've got Fender covered with good 6L6 and 6V6 amps.
Mesa Boogie are much more varied than any other amp maker.
I like Express 5:25 but there've got another 50 different.

Classic Marshall & Vox tones are missing from your list and should be discovered at some stage.
Many many great boutique amps around also but they should wait until after you've done the big 4 imo :)

Last edited:

grritz

The guitar plays me
Silver Member
May 2, 2014
Rock Hill, SC
A well rounded guitar player should have experience with all of Fender, Marshall, Vox and Mesa Boggie amps imo.
You've got Fender covered with good 6L6 and 6V6 amps.
Mesa Boogie are much more varied than any other amp maker.
I like Express 5:25 but there've got another 50 different.

Classic Marshall & Vox tones are missing from your list and should be discovered at some stage.
Many many great boutique amps around also but they should wait until after you've done the big 4 imo :)
Yeah. I've got Marshall and Vox on the "short list" already.

dante1963

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Apr 28, 2016
St. Louis
Marshall. Definitely a Marshall. (I like the JTM45, myself.)

But, also a Tweed. A real Tweed, not just an amp with tweed covering that isn’t a tweed circuit.

Clones are fine, though, and will be cheaper.

5e3 Deluxe, Tweed Bassman, Tweed Super. A Tweed Bandmaster is a wonderful sound if you could track one down. Any of those would be a great addition to your collection.

Stratoskater

Fuzz Meister General
Feb 8, 2011
Naked in NC
OK. I get that. But...how can I possibly tell what the circuit is just my looking at amps online. Yesterday, I looked up "AB763" and found some info on that. But if I'm just looking at an amp online, I don't see mention of this or that circuit. Is there a site online that has the circuits listed for various amps? I could check there, I suppose.

It’s fender circuits from the 50’s. Tweed Deluxe, Tweed Champ, Tweed Bassman, etc.

Torren61

Strat-O-Master
Dec 28, 2008
Humboldt County, CA
Marshall. Definitely a Marshall. (I like the JTM45, myself.)

But, also a Tweed. A real Tweed, not just an amp with tweed covering that isn’t a tweed circuit.

Clones are fine, though, and will be cheaper.

5e3 Deluxe, Tweed Bassman, Tweed Super. A Tweed Bandmaster is a wonderful sound if you could track one down. Any of those would be a great addition to your collection.
5E3 Tweed Deluxe= $5000 and up, Tweed Bassman= $6000 and up

3bolt79

Dr. Stratster
Oct 16, 2018
Oregon
Hey, guys. I’m looking into buying another amp or two, and wondering what I should add to those I have now, so I have most of the “amp/tone spectrum” covered. I value your collective wisdom and experience, so please let me know what you think.

What I have:
Princeton Reverb
5150 Iconic Combo
Supro Delta King 12

What am I missing? I’m just listing brands here, but if you have a particular amp model (or amp type) in mind, I’d appreciate your mentioning that.
Vox?
Marshall?
Blackstar?
Orange?
Friedman?
Dr. Z?
Magnatone?
Morgan?
Boutique?
Other?

Mesa/Boogie MarkV

Butcher of Strats

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2022
Maine
BTW I voted both Marshall and Orange because Orange makes some Marshall style amps in their line.

For example the Tiny Terror was designed to sound like the 66 Plexi 100 Angus used on the first bunch of albums.

dante1963

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Apr 28, 2016
St. Louis
5E3 Tweed Deluxe= $5000 and up, Tweed Bassman= $6000 and up
Only if you are buying vintage.

Which I never suggested.

I have a new Fender ‘57 Tweed Deluxe. That’s the 5e3. It was less than $2000 with discount from Sweetwater. Fender also still offers a Tweed Bassman reissue. It is nowhere near $6000. In fact, up to a few months ago, it was around $1400.

Plus, I specifically said “clones are fine.”in my post. Any number of good clone builders can build any of those amps for way less than that.

Torren61

Strat-O-Master
Dec 28, 2008
Humboldt County, CA

Which I never suggested.

I have a new Fender ‘57 Tweed Deluxe. That’s the 5e3. It was less than $2000 with discount from Sweetwater. Fender also still offers a Tweed Bassman reissue. It is nowhere near $6000. In fact, up to a few months ago, it was around $1400.

Plus, I specifically said “clones are fine.”in my post. Any number of good clone builders can build any of those amps for way less than that.
You don't need to defend yourself. I posted those prices because they ARE vintage prices. Personally, and your opinion may differ, I'd take a Swart for that Tweed sound. I know my Swart AST Master stood toe to toe against my '62 Brownface Fender Pro and it has Vibe AND Reverb AND a master volume that can be bypassed and Swart's build quality surpasses any Fender Tweed reissue.

dante1963

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Apr 28, 2016
St. Louis
You don't need to defend yourself. I posted those prices because they ARE vintage prices. Personally, and your opinion may differ, I'd take a Swart for that Tweed sound. I know my Swart AST Master stood toe to toe against my '62 Brownface Fender Pro and it has Vibe AND Reverb AND a master volume that can be bypassed and Swart's build quality surpasses any Fender Tweed reissue.
I’m not defending—or being defensive. No hostility meant or implied.

I was just clarifying that I wasn’t recommending vintage gear, and that cheaper, high quality clones of those circuits are widely available.

grritz

The guitar plays me
Silver Member
May 2, 2014
Rock Hill, SC

Which I never suggested.

Whew! Glad it's not gonna cost me my first-born! In fact, I've been looking at that Fender '57 Tweed Deluxe, as well as some others of it's kind, like the Buster or Deltone at Louis Electronics. Dunno much about them, but I've read here that some really like them.

thomquietwolf

Dr. Stratster
Gold Supporting Member
Silver Member
Dec 2, 2010
Peardale CA

What I have:
Princeton Reverb
5150 Iconic Combo
Supro Delta King 12

Vox?
Marshall?
Blackstar?
Orange?
Friedman?
Dr. Z?
Magnatone?
Morgan?
Boutique?
Other?

Quilter