What amp do you recommend for Fender guitars?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by dscottyg, Jun 26, 2021.

1. beep.click

beep.click Strat-Talk Member

Orange Tremlord. Reverb, tremolo, 30 watts (can dial it down to 1 watt but I never have).

If it was JUST STRATS, I'd say the new Pro Reverb with neo speaker or the Michael Landau Hot Rod. Both of those make a clean Strat sound the way you hear it in your head. BUT -- not ideal for other guitars.

2. fos1

fos1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I have a number of amps. I have five electric guitars, one Strat, one Ibanez RG, an SG and an S type with a very nice Warmoth neck.

The Katana will do anything I want and more if I want to break out the computer cable. The Micro Cube GX is the best small amp. I also have an Orange Rocker tube amp that I had wanted for decades. It is very nice.

I play the Katana 95% of the time, every day and rarely turn it off. I have had it about three years. It is the multi tool of guitar amps.

PS. If I had the extra money and a dolly with wheels, I would buy a 65 Twin Reverb....

Willie D likes this.
  3. Tremdaddy

Tremdaddy Strat-Talk Member

Agree. LOVE my '63 brown Deluxe, '64 Deluxe Reverb and my tweed Deluxe.

David Garner and Strangher11 like this.
  4. Tremdaddy

Tremdaddy Strat-Talk Member

Depending on your budget and volume needs there's never been a better time to pick out an amplifier. So many choices. In tube amps even the lowly Fender Pro Junior sounds great with Fender guitars. Up from there the sky's the limit if your wallet can handle it.

5. Dain Bramage

Dain Bramage Strat-Talker

My opinion comes from using the amp as the final delivery, and doing most of the tone shaping off-board, which allows me to dismiss most "boutique" amps out-of-hand. You did state a preference for Blues & Jazz, which besides the playing technique and passion of the player mostly requires a good sounding instrument and a complimentary amp. A proven Fender tube amp serves those styles best for myself. A Blues Jr. (stock) might be too little, a Twin may be way too much, but that leaves a lot to choose from between them. Deluxe Reverb, Princeton, anon.

6. Strangher11

Strangher11 Strat-Talk Member

My strats love my vintage Fender amps, '62 brown Vibrolux, '65 Deluxe, '55 Deluxe ... but as long as it has tubes in it most anything works well. Play on brother ....

7. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

When we sell the house...
    Providing I'm alive...
    I'm selling every thing but my little blackstar...
    And getting one of these...

Nate D likes this.
  8. DeMelo

DeMelo Senior Stratmaster

Fender. Vintage or new.

Sometimes Vox. Then back to Fender.

9. yamatele

yamatele Strat-Talk Member

10. BlurgyWurgyWibble

BlurgyWurgyWibble Strat-O-Master

For a BF? Can you buy them all? I'll rent a shipping container.

Wound_Up and drp146 like this.
  11. Joe R

Joe R Strat-Talk Member

This is a tough question. It's like asking, "What is your favorite color?" Is the color blue prettier than the color green? So it is with amps. All you will be getting on this forum is the player's personal favorite which may or may not wind up being your favorite. So, with that idea in mind, and based on your parameters, I am very fond of a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue. I upgraded the stock Fender speaker to an Eminence Swamp Thang. It plays ANYTHING from jazz, to blues, to metal, to country, and does it well. My Teles, Strats, and Gibsons all sound stellar. It can be played at low volumes in your living room, or in any medium-sized auditorium if necessary. It does get that loud. With the upgraded speaker it weighs in at around 44 lbs. If that is a problem lifting for gigs, then perhaps a Fender Princeton Reverb with 12" Eminence Cannabis speaker will do the trick. The sound is spectacular and the weight drops into the 35 lb. range. This kind of search is a lot of fun. CHEERS! JR

Tele56 likes this.
  12. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

A Katana 50 is pretty flexible. Can be had for cheap-ish. And most importantly, is not a back breaker.

Willie D and chicago slim like this.
  13. juanabet

juanabet Strat-Talk Member

Princeton for small gigs. Deluxe Reverb for a little bit more umph>

14. GlockandRoll

GlockandRoll Strat-Talk Member

What is your budget and what kind of music do you predominately play?
    I use a Marshal Origin20C and a Benson modded HRD wet/dry behind an HX Effects and can do anything with it. There isn't a sound I can think up that I can't dial in with my rig.
    I know it sounds like boasting, but I've invited people over to check it out and they all love it once they get past the learning curve.

15. Saltstains

Saltstains New Member!

Another vote for the Tone Master Deluxe Reverb: an awesome tone machine. Don't overlook the Blues Cube Stage a very similar sounding amp and a tad cheaper. Both are light and the volume can be cut back without losing tone. I only have one valve amp left - an AC10 and that has a tone of its very own. In the end though it all comes down to your playing style and the sound you are trying to produce. Get out and try some.

chicago slim likes this.
  16. BigDan

BigDan Strat-Talker

A fender amp is the cats meow with fender guitars.

17. Danny D

Danny D Strat-O-Master

New Orleans born, now 40 miles west of Sacramento
    A Bassman reissue?!? I should've bought one five years ago but spent my money on something that I thought would suit me better. Unfortunately my purchase was regretted.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  18. Jimbo99

Jimbo99 Strat-Talker

That Super Champ XD is so versatile, has all the amp sims anyone would need. You get several amps for the price of one. Tubes but only 1x 12AX7 & 2x 6V6's so that doesn't break the bank account. Another though option, for a solid state/digital amp is a Fender Champion 100. I'm not a fan of needing a computer interface to use the amp. I mean that modern technology is nice, until it's unsupported.

Tele56 likes this.
  19. scooteraz

scooteraz Senior Stratmaster

A lot of good answers here. I really like my Mesa California Tweed for what you’re discussing. Power settings from 2 to 40 Watts. Single channel. Takes pedals well. Plenty loud for small clubs, but the 2W setting allows for in the house playing without too much complaint from the spousal unit…

20. 93-Strat

93-Strat Strat-O-Master

With single coils, I prefer a Tweed amp. 5F2 Princeton or or 5D3 Deluxe. I feel like they sound fuller and more rounded out through them than say a blackface/ silverface amp at reasonable volumes.

Nate D likes this.