What amp(s) do you use at home only?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by tygr1, Feb 21, 2021.

1. RobZ69

RobZ69 Senior Stratmaster

- H&K TM18 head through a DIY 12" cab currently (I think) fitted with a Cannabis Rex.
    Strtk_DSC7670.jpg
    or

Fender Bassbreaker 15 Combo (alternatively via the cab)

or

Line6 Flextone III Plus 2x12

or

Line6 Helix LT e.g. via the cab or Saffire interface and HS5 monitors

or

FAL Kestrel via the 12" cab (an old 1970's? 2-chn solid state amp head each with reverb)

or

Roland DAC15D (my first amp back in the '80 with some neat digital effects)

I have too much gear, I'm afraid... I've never sold anything.

In the pipeline is another little DIY experiment: a 12" cab made from 2 wine cases. May sound terrible.

Stratbats and tygr1 like this.
  2. RobZ69

RobZ69 Senior Stratmaster

On second thought... I do not have too much gear;)

tygr1 likes this.
  3. tygr1

tygr1 Strat-Talker

I am sooo tempted!

4. Steve St.Lauren

Steve St.Lauren Strat-Talker

My main home amp was my Line6 DT25 with a Helix. Most of the time though it was just through the Helix and into PA because it's too loud if I'm driving it unless I'm the only one home.

DT25.jpg

I also have had complex guitars - S1 switch, variable coil splitting, passing lane switch, etc. Too many options with everything so I decided to break things down to the basics for a while and this is now my main home amp. It's a Princeton 5F2-A kit from Mojotone that I built but then put it into a cabinet that's sized between a Champ and a 5F2-A. 5 watts, volume, tone, 10" Weber. Sounds awesome and a good volume for the house (I also built a tube screamer pedal kit from Stewmac that I use with this just for a boost). Perfect.

5F2a.jpg

Cali Dude and Stratbats like this.
  5. tygr1

tygr1 Strat-Talker

Very cool! I'm jealous.

6. Lash

Lash New Member!

I'm definitely not gigging, just playing at home for myself. So I can get by with low Watts. I have a Vox DA-5 that's loud enough to piss the wife off and an Epiphone Valve Jr. Head with a 1×12 cab for pissing off the neighbors.

tygr1 likes this.
  7. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Im not a Fender amp fan but that just looks pretty freakin cool

Censport likes this.
  8. Cyrusthevirus

Cyrusthevirus Strat-Talk Member

yes I did let it get out of control.

9. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Strat-O-Master

I never play out, so........everything is at home.

1. '69 Fender Bandmaster Reverb
    2. '68 Fender Vibro Champ
    3. Trace Elliott Bonneville 4X10
    4. Fender Super Champ X2 head
    5. Mojotone Studio One
    IMG_0147.jpg IMG_0237.jpg IMG_0239.jpg IMG_0385.jpg IMG_0399.JPG
    6. Rack unit, Art SGX-2000 Express/Mesa Boogie M190
    7. Blackstar Fly 3 modded

Trace Elliott is not pictured. IMG_0085.jpg

tygr1 and Cali Dude like this.
  10. mazzolar59

mazzolar59 Strat-Talker Silver Member

I'm really interested in a Tone King amp because of the attenuator. I live in an apartment, and volume must be kept at a minimum. The Gremlin is such a minimalist amp but, it intrigues me. How do you like it? Does using the attenuator affect the tone? A mini review would be awesome. Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  11. Censport

Censport Strat-Talker Platinum Supporting Member

Others have been posting up their headphone amps, and I use those if anyone else is already/still asleep. Bought one of the Vox "AC30" headphone amps, but I still have these two, and yes, they still work.

BossPlayBus.jpg

KorgToneWorks.jpg

Have to admit, the Korg is still my favorite and the one I use the most.

tygr1 likes this.
  12. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Senior Stratmaster

Yes, it's a cool amp for playing at home. It has the two channels. The tweed side has minimal headroom. But it's a great sound. It is pretty mid forward, and gets a good ZZ Top to AC/DC sounds. The blackface channel stays clean up to about noon. It does a great clean to edge of breakup sound. The attenuator works great, and goes from 0 to -35bd over six levels. The very last level of attenuation does mute things a bit, but you can definitely rock out and not disturb your neighbors. By the way, the manual actually says 8 watts, not 5 watts (as it is advertised). The 12" speaker can move more air than an 8" champ. So, you could take it to a jam at reasonable volumes. Hope that helps.

mazzolar59 likes this.
  13. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

My bass amp (bottom) is a Crate 50 watt. My Marshall DSL401 is what gets the most play. And my office amp is the little Nu-X Mighty Mite BT modeling amp.

Attached Files:

Tone Deaf and tygr1 like this.
  14. bassworx

bassworx Strat-Talk Member

OMG!, you must not have close neighbors with the amps you have. That said, I found a little "jewel" perfect for home playing and recording. It's an Albion AG-10 (designed by Steve Grinrod of Marshal and Vox fame). It's a little 10w hybrid combo, with tube pre, and SS, with a special high FET amp and a custom designed speaker.

As is, it sounds fantastic, and can be heard down the block, if desired,, or toned down for home playing. It takes pedals really well too. Experimenting a bit, I put a Celestion in it, and upgraded the pre 12AX7, just to see what it would do. Bottom line on that, is the stock amp, no mods, sounds fantastic, no mods needed. If you can find one (they're no longer made), buy it (or any other Albion amp, as they are all fantastic). It'll bend your synapses, and you'll find it difficult to stop your jaw from dropping at how fantastic this little baby sounds.

tygr1 and Blackmore Fan like this.
  15. Headstock

Headstock Strat-Talk Member

I have a variety of home-oriented amps, some I need to get out and use more than I do...!

I have a Vox Amplug which is hilarious with its little mini speaker cab but very useful with cans if I need to be quiet and I do still use iRig occasionally too.

Yamaha THR10-C:
    The dark blue “bluesy” version of the original THR10. It’s a really nice little amp with great tones and FX and home-appropriate volumes. Not at all bad with pedals but does just as well on its own with a bit of tweaking of the on-board options. Best thing about it is the portability and that it really works as a plug-straight-in that sits on a shelf in the living room and is perfect for just picking up a guitar and plugging in when you decide you want to play on the spur of the moment and don’t want to have to go hunting for other kit.

Vox VT20+:
    Not a bad little modelling amp — has a decent selection of amp sounds and FX. Much more interactive once I’d bought the proper multichannel foot switch!

Fender Blues Junior III Tweed:
    I guess most of you know this one...!
    Kinda bright-sounding but that seems to works well with my Les Pauls. Great for that spanking Tele sound (obviously).

It’s a bit of an old faithful and I like taking this thing out and about too, with a minimal pedal board:
    Boss Wazacraft Blues Driver, Boss CH-1 SUPER Chorus, Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail, Strymon Flint (fab pedal!).

Have been known to set up the Blues Junior and the VT20+ as two asymmetric sides of a stereo rig with the outputs from the Flint...

E6E8A147-3657-466C-B0D3-D367CF250157.jpeg

Vox Mini Super-Beetle:

Love this thing! Found it at a great price last Summer. A bit of a lockdown splurge purchase...!

It has the nu-Tubes in it but really does a great job of the classic Vox sound at a sensible price — plus as a mini stack it just looks cool...!

The tremolo and reverb are a single control each but it all just kinda works. Has a really nice overdrive sound with the gain right up.

Just a lot of fun...!

FE248286-F444-4483-B277-CFB3E7388666.jpeg

Censport, Cali Dude and tygr1 like this.
  16. telepraise

telepraise Strat-O-Master

Ironically, my DRRI lives at home. My 12" Princeton with a Celestion is plenty of sound (it's mic'ed) and easier to lug back and forth to church every week.

Tone Deaf and tygr1 like this.
  17. Glyderslead

Glyderslead Strat-Talk Member

I rarely plug in at home.......just electric guitar acoustically.....keeps the noise down and that's all thats needed before band practice when sounds are finally sorted out.

When out, I used to use a Musicman 2x12 150HD and or a Twin reverb......but as time took its toll and I struggled to lift them into the boot of the car I sold them off and bought a pair of VOX AC15's. Put blue speakers in and they are loud enough. Still got them, but, as these are getting to be too heavy as well I have got an Orange Tiny Terror and a Katana 1x12 100W....these weigh a little bit less.
    However, I have had my HH VS Musician valve sound 100W Reverb, since the beginning of time and it nearly owns the freehold in the corner of one of my rooms as it takes a rest.

I've had a Roland GP100 rack unit for years and I guess I will have to start using that soon........through the PA.

18. Supersonicuser

Supersonicuser Strat-Talk Member

Home setup: Supersonic 22, ‘68 Custom Deluxe Reverb Ltd Edition with Redback Celestion. Just got a MXR Classic Overdrive that I like more than my mini Tube Screamer. 8BB120DA-C0AA-4809-9863-71A075DBDD87.jpeg

Censport, dbolt, tygr1 and 1 other person like this.
  19. pazman6

pazman6 Senior Stratmaster

Censport, duzie, tygr1 and 1 other person like this.
  20. JDug

JDug Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

“NOS” lacqured tweed B Jr.