What amps are recommended for Strats?

AntStrat

Dr. Stratster
May 6, 2019
US
I know about the pairing of a Les Paul and a Marshall amp, but are Marshall amps known to go well with Strats or Teles too? What kind of amp would you recommend for someone that plays Strats and Teles in the bedroom or occasionally a coffee shop or bar/restaurant setting? Thanks.

What do you like to play?
What’s your budget?

Conservatively there’s 200 amps that can be suggested, knowing what type of music you like to play can help narrow the list down to 75.

Tony65x55

Strat-Talker
Aug 5, 2012
Ontario
What do you like to play?
What’s your budget?

Conservatively there’s 200 amps that can be suggested, knowing what type of music you like to play can help narrow the list down to 75.

Solid advice here. As a general rule of them, never spend less on your amp than you spent on your guitar. Your sound will depend on the lowest common denominator, i.e., A $1000 guitar in a $500 amp can make, at best, a $500 sound. A $500 guitar in a $1000 amp can only make a $500 sound. A $1000 into a $1000 amp makes a $1000 sound.

My own ridiculous opinion of course - and subject to some exceptions - but I bet it's right more often than not.

StratoMutt

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2019
SE Pennsylvania
Solid advice here. As a general rule of them, never spend less on your amp than you spent on your guitar. Your sound will depend on the lowest common denominator, i.e., A $1000 guitar in a $500 amp can make, at best, a $500 sound. A $500 guitar in a $1000 amp can only make a $500 sound. A $1000 into a $1000 amp makes a $1000 sound.

My own ridiculous opinion of course - and subject to some exceptions - but I bet it's right more often than not.
Is far from that simple. imwo. Apples / Gouda cheese.

rolandson

Dr. Stratster
Jul 13, 2015
Foothills of the Cascades
You haven't said, near as I can see with my 45 second scan of a four page thread, what circumstances this amp will be required to support...you said bar/restaurant...

you didn't say with what accompaniment...you alone or you and a 12 piece orchestra. It kinda matters.

Then, the truth is, stick with it long enough and you'll find several iterations that please you. And several that don't. There isn't any rule about matching an amp to a particular guitar. Les Pauls sound just as good through fenders as they do through Marshalls.

Find one that meets your needs regarding sound, volume, and ease of movement.

Go from there.

But if you come across a Dumble for less than $75k...:thumb:

LOSTVENTURE

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 15, 2007
CHARLOTTE, NC
A couple years ago when I was trying out an American Standard (with Fat50's) over at Sam Ash. Everything I plugged into sounded great. Personally though, I prefer either Fender or Vox tube models.

ptb1

Strat-O-Master
Aug 20, 2020
Norway
… and put a Celestion Alnico in it.

Yes - it´s important to remember how the speaker element will affect the sound/tone.
I have one cab w/12" V30 and one w/12" Alnico Gold - and I can tell the same amp sounds quite different comparing the two:).