What are PRS S- and T-type guitars known for?

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by dscottyg, Sep 19, 2021.

1. dscottyg

dscottyg Strat-Talker

Do PRS guitars have a certain niche? Classic rock, hard rock, metal, John Mayer music, what? When I first saw the bird inlays on a YouTube channel, I knew I had to have one one day. I tried one unplugged at guitar center, and it felt great.

Cyberi4n, abnormaltoy and Ferpie like this.
  2. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

You have an unhealthy obsession with pigeonholing particular guitars. They’re for electric guitar music.

Mr_10awg, CB91710, Wound_Up and 16 others like this.
  3. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

his niche is top quality out of the box.

paul reed smith started as a world class repair and guitar tech who designed his guitar to be a combination of a les paul and a strat with his spin on it.

4. Green Craig

Green Craig Senior Stratmaster

With the disclaimer that any guitar can play any music...

I always associate PRS with post-grunge or modern rock. Mark Tremonti of Creed, for instance, has a PRS endorsement. Looks like Marcus Curiel of POD is listed on their endorsed artists as well, as are the bands Shinedown, Nonpoint, and Linkin Park.

But, they also endorse artists like Chris Garcia (of Garth Brooks' backup band), several Opry band members, several Nashville session artists, and modern bro-country like Florida/Georgia Line, Locash, Luke Bryan, and Brantley Gilbert.

3bolt79, dscottyg, Cyberi4n and 2 others like this.
  5. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Strat-Talker

Making me want to punch Carlos Santana in the face.

s5tuart, Luvs2yoko, Sarnodude and 2 others like this.
  6. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Sorry but I have to agree with @guitarface - don't obsess over trying to categorize a particular guitar model/guitar brand. You can play anything on anything; is it the best choice? Maybe, maybe not. But don't limit yourself.

At any rate - PRS has never made a T-style guitar. They never made a "pure" S-style until the Mayer Silver Sky - which is Mayer's "optimized" early-60s Strat. They have had other somewhat Stratty guitars over the decades, going back to the first EG series in the early 1990s. But they were putting more of their "spin" on it - 25" scale length necks on the EGs, for the most part not traditional Fender single coils (the first-series EGs did come with SSS and HSS configurations); decades later there was a set-neck EG with 3 single coils in the SE series. They have had the 305 - a set neck, carved top 3 proprietary single coils with a 25.5" scale neck, they had the DC3/NF3 with a 25.15" scale (DC3 had the 3 single coils and the NF3 had Narrowfield minibuckers and a few others along the way before the Silver Sky became a big hit.

But PRS was trying for a guitar that had elements of Gibsons and Fenders but had its own sound - so you can create what you want with them.

3bolt79, dscottyg, Cyberi4n and 3 others like this.
  7. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

I love some early Carlos on an SG. But the PRS thing just doesn't fit. It will never be right. It would be like putting the Statue of Liberty in Nebraska.

chas3rd and abnormaltoy like this.
  8. StratUp

I think I might like PRS's better if they lost the carved and flame tops and over-the-top ornamentation. It's just too wound up. Les Paul did the carved maple cap for a reason. PRS did it to mimic.

Les Paul/Strat:

upload_2021-9-19_11-19-21.png

PRS:

upload_2021-9-19_11-19-9.png

3bolt79, Chipss36, chas3rd and 3 others like this.
  9. Tsjackson

Tsjackson Senior Stratmaster

I agree with this, I’d be far more interested in PRS guitars if they weren’t so snazzy.

3bolt79 and abnormaltoy like this.
  10. Stonetone

Stonetone Most Honored Senior Member

PRS are Fine quality instruments from what most owners say

3bolt79, StratMike10, RL21980 and 2 others like this.
  11. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Most Honored Senior Member

They are known for being over-priced ornaments for dentists and stock brokers.
    [ I still want one, though ]

3bolt79, revtime, RL21980 and 5 others like this.
  12. Packrat

Packrat Strat-Talker

The PRS guitars I have personally played and heard are excellent. There are several models that do not have the bling. From most accounts they are nice instruments. I just purchased a S2 Thin line which is crazy good. It sustains for days. The only bling is the birds. I prefer regular dot markers on my fretboard, but I will take this as is. It is a great guitar.
    R.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  13. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

They are known for being incredible quality guitars built by people who actually play guitars (Core models), and for making people insult them and their owners. Oh and the look pretty sweet too.

My current three PRS guitars.

0C439D0F-F69D-497E-BD9C-DD87C886121A.jpeg

95AD6834-D542-47C1-9B31-0354DC53CF38.jpeg

2AA4B422-8467-41E4-8EBA-E1D09CCCE45A.jpeg

14. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

I am considering similar specs and finishes to these for a Private Stock build for my 50th in 4 years. I’ll start it 18 months out from that. Gonna be sweet to go to MD and pick out woods!

8288719B-88DB-48F4-8591-9303B0FF5F64.jpeg F3FB2667-4FCD-4FB1-B165-C9FBCC321A58.jpeg 93203B9E-F020-4F8E-A12E-B3D84D706A94.jpeg 56BCDCE8-7980-430A-8EC6-98C3D491D4DB.jpeg FEFBCA56-6EFF-4DF4-B5F9-A60CB2BDF9A6.jpeg

Tone Deaf, 3bolt79, Exhead and 8 others like this.
  15. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

Don't get the generalisation or pigeonholing going on here.

My PRS isn't snazzy or over the top. Nicely made guitar that plays very well.

20200207_141436.jpg

16. StratUp

The birds are another issue! They're more like "random fret confusers" than "fret markers". Messes with my brain. No birds. Just more "look at me" ornamentation.

17. Tsjackson

Tsjackson Senior Stratmaster

I didn’t mean to generalise, yours is cool what model is it? I actually wanted to go try some different (to what I’ve had in the past) guitars recently and if something like this had been at the shop I would have definitely had a go.

18. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Love that guitar!

3bolt79, abnormaltoy and Packrat like this.
  19. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

What is a t-type guitar?

When I hear PRS, I think of immaculately built guitars. But I also think of kinda over-the-top glam guitars. Not all of them, but many.

PRS pickups can leave me wanting, though. My one PRS now has Seth Lovers, and it's great.

I would also love to have an S2 Vela semi-hollow 22-fret satin neck.

3bolt79, abnormaltoy and Packrat like this.
  20. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

Any music you want.

I can't get over how they look like theyvripped off the Ibanez Artist- and Concert series.