What are PRS S- and T-type guitars known for?

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by dscottyg, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Ferpie

Ferpie Senior Stratmaster

Until you grab a prs and make it sustain you won’t get the pra thing. I’m no corksniffer, but there’s no other brand with that much ringing throughout their lineup as far as im concerned

2. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

The ones I've played all left me a little cold. Which means nothing. And I have no doubt that a competent player can play any style of music on a PRS effectively...they're used in almost all major genres, based on what I've seen.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  3. Packrat

Packrat Strat-Talker

Exactly!!!

abnormaltoy likes this.
  4. Whitster

Whitster Strat-Talk Member

Im.not disagreeing with you about the 'pure' (its a bit subjective ) Strat style thing but the early 90's PRS EG'S are pretty pure strat - certainly moreso than later ones

SSS pickups, alder body, maple bolt on neck etc

I've played two and they are VERY Strat

abnormaltoy likes this.
  5. Packrat

Packrat Strat-Talker

If you played this guitar guaranteed you would buy it! When you hit a chord the entire guitar vibrates and sustains. Best I've ever had!
    And I do not look at the birds anyway.

6. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth draggin' knuckle breather

I just want to clarify something for my own peace of mind...are you now, or have you ever been, a dentist or a stock broker?

StratMike10, s5tuart and guitarface like this.
  7. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth draggin' knuckle breather

First off, this is not to bash anyone's choice in guitars, but...

I have not played the entire PRS lineup. The PRS guitars I have played seem to be good quality, and well made. I just never got the warm and fuzzies about one.

There's another angle to the original post, at least in my mind. It sounds like another of the "can I play '80s music on a '50s strat", or something along those lines. You can play Metallica on a tuba. You can play Blue Oyster Cult on a zither. Certainly within the realm of electric guitar music, any music that you can play on one type of electric guitar, you can play on another type of electric guitar. I have heard really interesting, grindy overdriving sounds out of guitars with the gold foil pickups. The only thing holding most of us back...is us.

Have fun, play guitar.

8. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

the original prs "classic electric" model was a solid alder body with a bolt on rock maple neck/rosewood board with just a few options of solid paint coors and dot markers.

now they are fancy topped and i don't think you can get a plain one anymore.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  9. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Senior Stratmaster

Tele shaped

cranky and abnormaltoy like this.
  10. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

abnormaltoy likes this.
  11. jbylake

jbylake Fabulously Famous Nobody Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

Screw it. Go to the store and play a few. Screw the Dentist/Stock broker thing too. They're just parroting what they've heard before. If PRS made them all in solid colors, without the flamed top folks would just be calling them bland and boring. I don't play metal, and with the pickups in mine I don't think it would do that great of a job for that, but It'll cover most genre's, depending on the model.

12. geetaruke

geetaruke Strat-Talker

Same with me. Something about the sound that doesn’t jive with me.

Saying that, I’ve owned 3. Two cheaper SE’s and one expensive CE. In terms of build quality and out of the box set etc, even the Indonesian models have been better than any USA fender or Gibson I’ve bought in the past…my whole life. But the sound isn’t my taste.

Stratoskater, abnormaltoy and nadzab like this.
  13. dscottyg

dscottyg Strat-O-Master

Telecaster-type.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  14. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Actually I meant to say "pure Strat copy" but left out a word.:oops::oops::oops::oops:

I agree; the first EGs were pretty Stratty compared to the Customs, Standards and CEs - I suppose I tend to take them a step back from that pure Strat formula because of the 25" scale length vs. 25.5" scale length. I forget now - I don't remember if the single coils were Fralins or Duncans on those. I'm 95% sure "domino" pickups from the 2nd generation EGs were Fralins.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  15. myredstrat

myredstrat Senior Stratmaster

mostly, they are known for being way over priced, but Paul raps his knuckles on a piece of wood and people come running with their money in hand.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  16. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

I was a Financial Planner in my mid 20’s but for the past 11 years I’ve worked in commercial insurance. I have always worked in banking and financial services industry though

Packrat and abnormaltoy like this.
  17. jbylake

jbylake Fabulously Famous Nobody Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

And please describe your personal experience with them, and I'm not talking strumming a G Chord in the music store. How about the necks, how do they play for you? I think they're one of the easiest playing guitars I've had the pleasure to own. Like the split coils features also. Fit and finish is immaculate, and just a great all around guitar to play. Natural sustain doesn't sound compressed in anyway, and it's very friendly with pedals.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  18. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

PRS's stary at around $750. That's hardly over priced?

64 Tele, Packrat and Stratoskater like this.
  19. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Strat-Talker

I had a CE22 with the rotary switch and tremolo. It was cable of producing pretty much any electric guitar noises possible. Truly a versatile instrument. Sadly the neck profile was very weird - the only neck ever I just couldn’t dial in, very strange and frustrating.

20. Antstrat

Antstrat Dr. Stratster

At the end of the day it’s just a guitar. It may be for you or maybe not. Nothing scientific going on.