Join Strat-Talk Today

What are these CraigsList scammers trying to accomplish?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by 57Strat777, May 21, 2020 at 9:46 AM.

1. 57Strat777

57Strat777 Strat-O-Master

I frequently list stuff for sale on Craigslist. I get a lot of emails asking me: "Do you still have it?"

I reply yes and I never hear from them again.

What is the point?

Stratafied likes this.
  2. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Can you feel the love tonight? Strat-Talk Supporter

3. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Most Honored Senior Member

There's a fair number of CL window shoppers. They want what you've listed, but don't actually plan to buy it. When they ask if you still have it, they're hoping you'll say no so they can quit wishing they had the money to buy. I had one guy who would ask if my motorcycle was still available... every month when I'd relist it on CL. About the third time I replied "It is, just like the last two times you asked." I never heard from him again.

CB91710, Robins and ZlurkCorzDog like this.
  4. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Modern Day Frankenstein Strat-Talk Supporter

I hate being the guy wanting to buy something and not getting any reply when inquiring about something that is listed. The last dozen or so sales that I have asked about have been replied with crickets. I just gave up on CL and OfferUp.
    Nothing more frustrating to me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

ZlurkCorzDog likes this.
  5. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

the only thing i ever sold on craigslist was my girlfriend's father's rolex and what a comedy act. i heard 23 new scams everyday and only dealt with 2 people who were not full of it before it sold.

what happened the most was i would tell people they would be meeting me at an established business with cameras on the cameras during business hours and they would hang up !

i have tons of gear, parts and tools i would sell cheap but i do not want to deal with 99 delusional peeps and 1 sane person per transaction to give someone a good deal and me a few bux and more space.

imo if ebay and craigs list had a "verified no bs people section" i think many people would be buying and selling more things.

6. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

A lot of buyers and sellers on Craigslist are flakes. It's really common for sellers to fail to remove an ad after the product sells. After you've contacted a few sellers who never respond or who say "sorry it's already sold" it feels pretty natural to ask if it's still for sale.

Also, craigslist emails get eaten by spam filters pretty regularly. It's quite possible the people asking have you still got it--are just as annoyed as you, that they're never getting a response to their inquiry.

CFFF and wrvond like this.
  7. stratnutz

stratnutz Senior Stratmaster

Ive been listing a mint Ibanez on and off for a year or so on CL.
    I get question askers that don't amount to zip also.
    But I get all these offers to trade for fake Chinese les pauls.
    Those things look real pretty in pictures but play like a 2x4 with strings.

ZlurkCorzDog likes this.
  8. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore

[​IMG]

People don't enjoy talking on the phone much these days...

Groovey and Stratafied like this.
  9. 57Strat777

57Strat777 Strat-O-Master

So how does the PayPal scam work on CraigsList? Occasionally I'll get an email for something I have listed on CraigsList and they want to pay with PayPal and have me ship it. I always tell them I don't use PayPal and I never hear from them again. Is the buyer able to reverse the PayPal payment after they get the item shipped to them?

10. RetVet2018

RetVet2018 Strat-Talk Member

I suppose it might be that they pay you over PayPal, you hand over the item, and then they try to reverse the transaction somehow. You likely won’t have proof they received the item so you lose out on both the item and the payment.

11. jamesmgregory

jamesmgregory Strat-Talk Member

I have people email me about my item for sale, and ask me to text them back.

I am not about to give anyone my cell number.

12. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

My last sale of an amp, about 2 weeks ago, was flawless. He contacted me and agreed to the ask price in the email. Came over tho the house the next day, we played it in the garage for a few minutes and he left. Easy

I've had way more decent, normal, ok,,,whatever, interactions on CL around guitar gear than not. Yes, there are some flakes.

You wanna experience an interesting crowd, sell a $500 car. Ugh.

Last edited: May 21, 2020 at 8:47 PM
    wrvond, dirocyn and Bob the builder like this.
  13. easterik

easterik Strat-Talk Member

I think that the problems and frustrations that everyone is experiencing with Craigslist is one of the reasons why Facebook Marketplace is increasing in popularity so quickly. On Facebook Marketplace the only way to contact a seller is through your Facebook profile and so there really isn't any hiding. It is also more difficult to hide your location. I like CL because it is sort of like this big online garage sale and I generally only use it to buy and sell items at garage sale prices.

I think that CL scams are not quite as frequent as they used to be because they are so easy to recognize these days. The one that I love is when the scammer responds via email and then asks me to send them a text when I included my phone number in the post and so they could text me if they wanted. Of course they always want me to ship the item. I just ignore these responses.

I've heard a few urban legends of sellers playing along and trying to scam the scammer. Where they will do something like ship a box of dog turds or a rotten piece of meat or a glitter bomb to the scammer. Not worth the effort in my opinion.

14. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

You need to state in your listing that you will not respond to "Is this still available?" inquiries. I gave up on CL a long time ago. I only sell on Facebook Marketplace or Reverb. You have to state that you won't respond to questions about availability on FB also, because there's a button someone can just click for "Is this still available?" On average, it seems to take about 15 inquiries before I get an actual, legit buyer. Average time from listing to sale ranges from 1 month to 3 months. It's probably worse now with so many people laid off or on reduced hours.

15. macoshark

macoshark Strat-O-Master

I've sold on Craigs. I don't Facebook so can't do the MP thing. I never text but just do the email. Like others have has a lot of is it still for sale. I reply yes. I always have the buyer phone me to see what there area code is. I only deal locally. I try and get a feel for the buyer through the phone call. All have come by my house and only one of them didn't buy once they came. Almost all asked for some wiggle room which I prepared in advance for. Not much but a little. It sometimes takes 2 or 3 times listing for me to sell.

16. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

This is it, mostly.

Until you get into the PayPal scam. PayPal, because they can always complain to PayPal that the product is unsatisfactory. And they get their money back.

17. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sell Local, cash only.

18. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Most Honored Senior Member

In my experience PayPal requires the item be returned in that case, but there's probably a scam I haven't thought of. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.