What are your Christmas/Holiday Traditions?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Nate D, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

On Christmas Eve we go to church, bake cookies for Santa while watching Elf, put out reindeer bait, read the Night Before Christmas to the boys for bedtime and then my wife and I watch It’s A Wonderful Life while wrapping presents.

I then eat the cookies and go to bed to be awakened at 6 AM by two little boys who are beyond excited to see if Santa came.

What about you?

2. space

space Strat-O-Master

airing of grievances!
    :D

3. Nate D

Lol love this.

RJ Squirrel likes this.
  4. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Went to Bro' in Laws place for Christmas eve dinner/party. Good thing the wife was driving home...got pulled over for license tag light being out. The little things will gitcha' if your not careful.

RJ Squirrel and Nate D like this.
  5. Strat-Slinger

Strat-Slinger Senior Stratmaster

Sharing:

Merry Christmas!

6. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

Egg Nog. Lots and lots of egg nog.

7. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

Just a dinner of some kind these days.

8. Hash McBrown

Hash McBrown Senior Stratmaster

Look forward all year for the traditional Christmas Eve chilli-dog breakfast.

9. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

Lotsa fish tonight, prime rib tomorrow

10. montemerrick

montemerrick no earthly reason why

for the last 19 years I go to work at the wildlife hospital... everyone else but volunteers who want to be there have off... (except 2006 - oil spill in the Bering Sea... i traveled there Xmas day... the Boxing Day tsunami hit that night while i was in the Anchorage Airport waiting to connect to Dutch Harbor)

11. jaybones

jaybones Dr. Stratster

My mother used to make oyster stew Christmas Eve. As I recall it was milk and butter with some canned oysters boiled in it. Oysters were pretty much rubber after being canned then boiled, but it was mom's favorite so I did my best and ate several bowls, with plenty of oyster crackers.

During the day she'd make her family recipe stuffing. Sausage stuffing and my job was to crank the grinder with the celery, onion and stale bread going through it.

Also she made the cranberry chutney. Chopped more celery, apples boiled with fresh cranberry, water, sugar then finished with raisins.

Another tradition was midnight mass at the Lutheran church where I was baptized. It was an old style mass, stations of the cross, lots of ceremony.

The rest of the evening was cookies and egg nog, a fire in the fireplace.

12. ZlurkCorzDog

ZlurkCorzDog INMATE #7XX7XX7

I always found the straight stuff a bit much. Then one season way back, mcjunk had on their marquee, Eggnog Shakes. So I says hmmm. Got me some nog & some vanilla ice cream, fill a large glass, (plastic) with ice cream scoops, top off with nog & stirs. Properly diluted with said vanilla I now have a shake with a nog flavor that's palatable. Worked for me.

13. RJ Squirrel

RJ Squirrel Senior Stratmaster

Not a lot of plans. I will go to church in the morning and have Christmas dinner with the kids tomorrow night. I'm starting the prep for dinner now. I just pulled out an iron skillet full of corn bread for the oyster dressing. The cranberries are on the stovetop now. Next I will fry up a pound of sausage for the dressing and about 6 slices of bacon for the cheddar macaroni. I'll bake the pumpkin pies tomorrow AM and start the turkey around noon.

montemerrick and Nate D like this.
  14. montemerrick

montemerrick no earthly reason why

in other words, you're preparing an awesome Christmas feast.

RJ Squirrel, Mansonienne and Nate D like this.
  15. Nate D

Yeah- I’m crashing your place @RJ Squirrel

RJ Squirrel likes this.
  16. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

We sit by the Darth Vader Yule Log and roast marshmallows.

3bolt79, RJ Squirrel and Nate D like this.
  17. Nick Evans

Nick Evans Senior Stratmaster

Make the most of it Xmas gets a bit boring once the kids have grown up!

18. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox

After the Christmas Eve service, the youngest male and female children climb the steep steps up into the attic and together bring down great great grandfathers wooden leg. The oldest woman gives the leg a rub with Murphy's oil soap and the oldest male applies a fresh coat of polish and buffs the boot. Then it's leaned up in the kitchen by the old Enterprise stove. It stays there until the stroke of midnight on New Years, and then the oldest eligible individual, female or male, kisses the leg and takes it back up to the attic. Great care is taken to how it is leaned up behind the stove. If it falls, the well goes dry in the Summer, and the roof will leak in the Fall.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
    Nate D and Textele like this.
  19. Hairy Bear

Hairy Bear Strat-O-Master Silver Member

I'll be spending the morning as timekeeper to a cycle race, as I've done every Christmas morning for around 20 years. The East Anglian Cycling Club have run this time-trial event every year since 1953 and I'm proud to be helping keep the tradition going. Fancy dress, decorated bikes, eccentric wheeled contraptions never intended for racing. There are two rules: 1) do not regard this as serious racing 'cos it's a non-standard distance and the results don't count towards anything, and 2) you must stop at the turn for a mince pie and a glass of sherry. Prizes are awarded by lucky dip, non-one goes away empty handed. It's all great fun and gets us out of the way while the folks at home are being irritable in the kitchen.

The afternoon will be spent alternately muttering about the paucity of watchable TV, and examining the back of my eyelids.

Merry Christmas Jesus, have a seasonal sprout!

Nate D likes this.
  20. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Mod admin Staff Member Silver Member

Admin Post
    Yesterday was lots of cooking for me....Last night it was a nice dinner (shrimp, confit de canard, potatoes gratin and roasted brussels sprouts, baby carrots and baby leeks) with champagne and a good red wine. At the request of my son, dessert was profiterolles (homemade choux pastry puffs filled with vanilla ice cream and topped with chocolate sauce and whipped cream).
    Then we watched Home Alone 2. When the kids were in bed we filled the stockings and put together my daughter’s bike.
    This morning we opened the presents and later we’ll have brunch (grapefruit, ham and broccoli strata, sausages, bacon, mimosas). The rest of the day we’ll hang out, watch movies, Skype with family and friends, I’ll play guitar...probably take a nap at some point, maybe go for a bike ride.

Merry Christmas!

Nate D likes this.