What are your thoughts on the alnico speakers

SilvaStrat

Strat-O-Master
Dec 1, 2015
Fort Worth,tx
I need to expend more time with alnico speaker , but my first impression is that they sound very sweet and chime , at first , but after a wile it starts to get a little annoying ?

3bolt79

Dr. Stratster
Oct 16, 2018
Oregon
I had an AC30 with blues in it. The funny thing is that each speaker was rated for 15 watts, and my AC30 peaked at 33 watts when cranked. I use a TB into the normal channel and I got Brian May Flash Gordon Battle Theme/The Hero tone out of it. When I tried to play it quiet, it still sounded good, just not as awesome.

Crank the **** out of it. It will break in. What amp are you using again?

Chicago Matt

Strat-O-Master
Sep 24, 2014
Woodstock
It may be that you just don't like the upper midrange spike that is inherent in the Blue. Some like that "krang", others like me, not so much. I bought one for my 5e3 and, after 50 hours of breaking it in, still found that upper mid spike annoying although the overall sound had improved. Getting the right speaker for the right amp is tough, since you don't know until you try, and then it changes when it breaks in, and it's all subjective anyway. I finally have the speaker I love in my 5e3, the Weber 12A125A (also AlNiCo). But I now have 4 other speakers sitting in boxes in my basement. Anyone want to buy a Blue with 50 hours on it? :)

Miotch

Most Honored Senior Member
Jun 28, 2011
ok
Speaker hunting is as much a matter of luck as anything, in my corner of the world. Never gonna drop $230 on a speaker and no way for me to ever try each and every brand or model out there. Sometimes, I luck into one I love. Sometimes I don't. And some speakers sound great with one amp, and meh with another.

But I'd like to try a Blue, anyway. Send it over here and I'll let you know what I think of it after a few months.

SilvaStrat

Strat-O-Master
Dec 1, 2015
Fort Worth,tx
Hey Silva are you using it with that DRRI?
I did started with that DRRI , but the clean was good , but kind weird , than when you get a hum-bucker that it gets bad , when you give volume it goes muddy , and fuzzy , it works too hard the speaker , i need to conclude that tread , for future reference , is absolutely not the speaker for the DRRI , but yesterday I went to a pound shop , and I found a bad cat 5 watts amp that I tried to buy a wile back , they turn down 350 back there , but now they took 199.00 for it , and I am very pleased , it is sounding good , it is not a 5e3 , but will scratch my need for a little low watts amp

roadhog96

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 11, 2017
Drip-Edge Heaven, CT
I did started with that DRRI , but the clean was good , but kind weird , than when you get a hum-bucker that it gets bad , when you give volume it goes muddy , and fuzzy , it works too hard the speaker , i need to conclude that tread , for future reference , is absolutely not the speaker for the DRRI , but yesterday I went to a pound shop , and I found a bad cat 5 watts amp that I tried to buy a wile back , they turn down 350 back there , but now they took 199.00 for it , and I am very pleased , it is sounding good , it is not a 5e3 , but will scratch my need for a little low watts amp

Try the Humbucker in input #2.

SilvaStrat

Strat-O-Master
Dec 1, 2015
Fort Worth,tx
There it is , I have the missing knobs coming on the mail , believe or not this amp came with a vintage 30 , that is totally the wrong speaker for this amp , the amp is small and with the mid voice V30 it was soo bright , now it sounds great , i can set at very low volume , lower than the tv volume , and still sound good , or if I crank it gets very loud , considering I can sale the v30 for maybe 80 bucks ? I have this amp for 120 , pretty happy :):thumb: 6B7DAA7C-D394-422D-A003-D3CC1BA3DB5A.jpeg 0D9357AE-A262-4314-917B-9F9731A12351.jpeg

telepraise

Strat-O-Master
Feb 20, 2019
Tampa Bay
My only experience is with Jensen P12Qs. The high end detail is quite crystaline, I hear detail out of strat that's missing with a ceramic speaker. The cost of that high frequency is they can get spiky real quick, I just dial back the tone knob on the guitar and maybe on the overdrive and compressor a bit. The low end gets farty pretty quick with heavy overdrive. I've heard several people say you've gotta turn the bass down the more you turn the volume up. Like most speakers they really open up once they're broken in.

SilvaStrat

Strat-O-Master
Dec 1, 2015
Fort Worth,tx
It may be that you just don't like the upper midrange spike that is inherent in the Blue. Some like that "krang", others like me, not so much. I bought one for my 5e3 and, after 50 hours of breaking it in, still found that upper mid spike annoying although the overall sound had improved. Getting the right speaker for the right amp is tough, since you don't know until you try, and then it changes when it breaks in, and it's all subjective anyway. I finally have the speaker I love in my 5e3, the Weber 12A125A (also AlNiCo). But I now have 4 other speakers sitting in boxes in my basement. Anyone want to buy a Blue with 50 hours on it? :)
It is hard, one must to do a lot of research , and trust some reviews , I tried the blue on a 22 watts but that was on me , I was experimenting , but I new I was going toward a low wattage practice amp on the future , I gave a call to WGS , I am intrigued with the 50 watt Blackhawk , or the g12a, but for now I ordered a g12c/s , that they recommended , they said it is a less efficient speaker , and that allows me to crank the volume , will see , but I am not over the alnico experiment , maybe next year

SilvaStrat

Strat-O-Master
Dec 1, 2015
Fort Worth,tx
My only experience is with Jensen P12Qs. The high end detail is quite crystaline, I hear detail out of strat that's missing with a ceramic speaker. The cost of that high frequency is they can get spiky real quick, I just dial back the tone knob on the guitar and maybe on the overdrive and compressor a bit. The low end gets farty pretty quick with heavy overdrive. I've heard several people say you've gotta turn the bass down the more you turn the volume up. Like most speakers they really open up once they're broken in.
It is exactly one p12q I am taking of my DRRI , doesn’t represent all the frequency that this amp puts out , my creamback smacks, the living god out the Jansen in lows , highs , and some magic sparkle that is there , but it gets soo loud , that farty low it is very noticible on mine too , I play aggressive some times and I can hear that screeching cardboard of the cone of the speaker , I can’t explain , remind me of the peavey classic 50 , that I sold , great for jazz I assume