What careers did you choose? Would you say you're happy?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Chuck8436, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Chuck8436

Chuck8436 Senior Stratmaster

Eh? How old were you when you knew what to do? No need to be short and sweet either. Share whatever you're comfortable with.

simoncroft, Bcorig, Cerb and 3 others like this.
  2. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

I will let you know when I know what to do.

Exhead, Clickitysplit, nigelr and 8 others like this.
  3. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

Before graduating high school I learned I definitely did not want to go into kitchens.
    Worked part time at a restaurant for the last couple years. Drum equipment was expensive even then
    After graduation I started in a factory as a assembly grunt in a display shop. After a couple months thy moved me to the plastics dept to do the gopher work. Drilling molds,pouring multiple epoxy duplicates to build production molds.
    Me & a old man in the wood shop got along pretty good.
    He was a retired cabinet maker just staying busy working as a master mold maker ( for vacuum formed plastics. He taught me a ton o chit.
    After a couple years he told me to screw and get a job as a mold maker somewhere else, I could do it.
    Did that for ...a long f'n time.
    At about 35 ,I went back to school to get a aas in architectural engineering.
    Ended up in another display shop as a engineer.
    Things went ok for a few more years and almost overnight it seemed like manufacturing went to the dogs in New England.
    20 years in a business that don't exist anymore.
    Gotta earn.
    Cheapest start is a ladder and a couple paint brushes. Make that support my family and buy tools to grow.
    Still at it

Exhead, tery, simoncroft and 11 others like this.
  4. Danny D

Danny D Strat-O-Master

New Orleans born, now 40 miles west of Sacramento
    I became a teacher thirteen years ago after combining retail work with weekend warrior gigs for most of my life. I grew tired of having light savings or quality health insurance. I've never been happier. My guitars, amps, and effects are of higher quality plus I'm doing something to benefit the younger generation. It's win/win.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    Exhead, simoncroft, chris64 and 16 others like this.
  5. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

The only thing I really knew coming out of highschool was no military.

The only time I was really happy professionally was in grad school. But then I had to get a "real job", which I'm thankfully out of.

Now I'm a lucky bastard, taking care of the kids and homesteading while working through some stuff with myself. Effectively retired, I guess. I only work outside of the house when I want to, volunteering and whatnot. I've pondered doing some of my grad school type stuff independently, but I know deep down I don't quite have my intellectual and emotional sides squared yet. Maybe sometime soon. Not rushing into anything though.

Exhead, tery, simoncroft and 6 others like this.
  6. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

When I was a kid, my dad always told me that if I wanted to be gainfully employed no matter where I go I should learn to either build houses or work on cars. He would say, "Everyneeds a place to live and a way to get to work."
    When I was in High School I thought about that and went to college as a music performance major. Lol. I let my professors convince me to switch to music education which was the worst thing I could have ever done. I ended up dropping out. Not because I didn't like teaching but because I didn't like working with school administrators. They sucked when I was in high school and the still do now. Basically all politicians under the guise of educators.
    A couple years and a couple jobs later I went back to what my dad told me and started working in the custom home construction business. When the owner of the company I worked for squandered his business away, I went back to turning wrenches like my dad. I've been doing it for about the last 23 years now and am an ASE Master Technician like he was (in his day, they were called Certified General Mechanics).
    I'm one of the lucky ones in my field that chose to do it and didn't let my life decisions force me into it. I still had quite a few other options at the time but went back to what I've always loved doing.
    I plan on retiring as a wrench too. Though it looks different as a supervisor over a crew of techs. Unless something seriously changes my course in life I'll stick this one out.

Exhead, tery, simoncroft and 10 others like this.
  7. Chuck8436

That sounds rough. But would you say you're happy? Your username is also pretty fitting

3bolt79, Bob the builder and Danny D like this.
  8. Chuck8436

That sounds great. I'd like to retire already. And I haven't done anything but school and odd jobs. And I'm in my late 20s. Ha

3bolt79 and Danny D like this.
  9. Chuck8436

Well it sounds like you made the right choice. I don't know why I thought you were a cop

10. Chuck8436

I think I'd like to teach history. Maybe 4th or 5th grade. Before the kids get too rough

11. Danny D

Danny D Strat-O-Master

New Orleans born, now 40 miles west of Sacramento
    That's a perfect area of concentration. Unfortunately, if you taught those grades in most schools you'd teach four content areas. With that said, you could rock and roll and be an award winning history teacher that made the subject come alive for your students.

Exhead, 3bolt79 and Chuck8436 like this.
  12. Chuck8436

Ha that sounds like a good time

13. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

Probably because I work for the KCPD Fleet Operations Unit. We are a fairly large PD and though we work for the Department we are still Civilian employees that maintain close to 1000 cars.

Exhead, simoncroft, 3bolt79 and 2 others like this.
  14. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

In a nutshell

First forty years::
    All types of mechanics
    Motorcycle and Drag racing
    Everything chose me...

Then:::
    Absolute necessity ran my direction

1988 on::
    While recovering from a gross medical faux pox(Doctors fault)
    I went to college
    Through a never ending set of good luck educational turns...
    I learned all the latest
    Best paying software paradigms
    Wasn't living out of my pocket anymore....
    Three best
    1. SQL(oracle and Microsoft)
    2. Power Builder
    3. ODBC, JDBC

15. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

I like making things + I got good at it.
    Happy most o the time....good enough

Exhead, Torvald, 3bolt79 and 3 others like this.
  16. Chuck8436

That's probably it. I feel like I've seen pictures of you around police vehicles or something

17. Chuck8436

That's quite a story. Do you still work?

18. Chuck8436

That's all anyone can ask for. I'm glad

19. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

The complicating factors here are that regardless of the work you are doing, it may or may not suck and in many cases it's not due to the actual work but the workplace, the industry, life in general.

I have been in many ways my happiest doing idiot work. Had a few years doing stuff that was worth a bit over minimum wage but I was making really good money. That was fun. To be able to step up in pay again, I took a position in which the work is actually kind of interesting and intellectually stimulating, but the way the process works, it's turned into very very difficult and nerve wracking work. So...

20. Chuck8436

Yeah, I get what you mean. I was just curious because I feel like I might be a little too old to feel like I don't know what I'm doing with my life. I just wonder what some of you guys have decided to do and whether or not it is fulfilling. That's pretty much all I want for myself. I don't care if I'm rich, as long as I'm happy

cranky, Danny D and Bob the builder like this.