What careers did you choose? Would you say you're happy?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Chuck8436, Sep 23, 2021.

1. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

5 1/2 year Toolmaking apprenticeship, Merchant Navy (Engineering Officer Banana boats), 10 years in Qatar maintaining Air Force Helicopters and Royal Flight Aircraft, 7 years Heathrow Airport Managing Aircraft Cargo Handling Equipment, Building Services Manager UK and Bahrain.
    Studied and achieved a Health & Safety Diploma (God knows how) and provided consultancy services on Military, Hospital and Commercial buildings until retiring at 65.
    Now professional antagonist to Mrs OG and the rest of you lot:p

Exhead, tery, simoncroft and 10 others like this.
  2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Yep, that put me off engineering (for a living) for the rest of my life.

Neil.C, Cerb, ukoldgit and 1 other person like this.
  3. nifnof70

nifnof70 Strat-Talker

After graduating High School I enlisted in Air Force for 26 years (most of that time in Aircraft maintenance, with a tour in Recruiting that was a real eye opener). Overall great experience, some places and people I won't miss.

Since retirement in my 8th year of Teaching....it's the best/easiest job I've ever had with more time to play guitar and gig!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    Exhead, tery, simoncroft and 6 others like this.
  4. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    The only “career” I had was 21 years active duty Air Force. One year on an aircrew and 20 in Intelligence. Retired at 39 and have just had jobs since then. I’m happy in life but it’s not work related at all. My job was never my life, I had a job so I could have a life.

Exhead, tery, simoncroft and 11 others like this.
  5. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

I had no idea what I wanted to do until I was in my late 20s. Left high school without a clue. I thought I wanted to be an athletic trainer so I went to university for it...until I flunked out from partying too much in my first semester. First time I ever failed anything. I regret it even today even though I was hardly interested in being an athletic trainer, it turned out.

I finally figured out that I loved working on cars so I got into automotive service & repair. That was going freaking great.

Then my daughter was killed in a car accident caused by my ex, her mother.

After that, I couldn't do it anymore. I just don't have the patience to do it any longer and I loved working on cars. Would've likely done it the rest of my life.

So I'm pretty much back where I was in my mid 20s, without a clue what I want to do with my life again. Oh well. I guess it could be worse.

6. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

Been in financial services and sales since I was 23. Went to college for a business degree so I’ve always saw me managing money in some way. I love it, easy work (I pretty much just talk to people all day), awesome pay and benefits.

7. SoulSurfer

SoulSurfer Strat-O-Master

Nerd alert!
    I was in uni and went for Applied Math. Spent the next 40+ years in I.T. and finished up as CIO at several companies before retiring. It allowed me to work pretty much all over the world. My partner of 47 years was always supportive of where my work took me (France, UK, Mexico, Columbia, Brazil, Portugal, Belgium and India). Always fascinated with technology. Still am.

simoncroft, Tone Deaf, Ruscio and 3 others like this.
  8. FuncleManson

FuncleManson Strat-Talker

I never knew what I wanted to do. No college or technical/trades education, but I fell into two "careers" that, for the most part, I enjoyed very much. Not much money, but I got to work with and for some great people in interesting fields.

First was at a mom and pop company founded by immigrants from the Netherlands that did injection molding of thermoplastics. Wonderful folks. I did a little bit of everything there. Running machines, doing assemblies and fabrication and ended up managing their shipping and receiving and running the warehouse. The company was eventually sold and went out of business in 2007.

Two months later, I started at a local college in the Sports Information Department, working for a great guy who is a legend in the field. I'd been a sports fan since I was little and had followed this school's teams for years, so it was a great fit. I did five years part time and split time in the mail room for two years (OK, that wasn't much fun--seven days a week during the school year), before I finally got hired full time in athletics. I did another six years and retired this past June.

All-in-all, I think it worked out pretty well.

simoncroft, Tone Deaf, Ruscio and 2 others like this.
  9. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster

I went to HS in a Navy high concentration area, and it always appealed to me. The HS aptitude test (such as it was in the dark ages) suggested military, pirate or adventurer...no pressure. I worked my way through college as a mechanic and parts guy, giving me a solid background in most things mechanical. At college graduation, I headed for Navy OCS...the mechanical background put me ahead of the game in understanding the complexities of shipboard systems/maintenance/operation, allowing me to concentrate more on warfare, navigation and fleet operational aspects. The sea/shore rotation and ability to have a say (sort of) in getting into different "jobs" at different locations kept it from being too boring. Ultimately, commanded a destroyer and a cruiser, and had several pivotal/interesting jobs ashore...lots of travel. Went on retainer (retired) at ~29.5 yrs with my marriage and family intact. It was good for us...I loved it.

Edit: "Retired" at 55yo. Happy? Yes...absolutely, except when my neighbor weed-eats my trees until they bleed sap:(.

My son teaches 4th/5th (depends on the year's predicted student load). He loves it. Teaching has a great many perks if one plans well and continues their own education (plan on getting at least a master's degree early on). The time off is great for families, and an eleven or twelve month contract/pay cycle really sweetens the pot (makes budgeting easier).

Happy Hunting.

10. Lost Sailor

Lost Sailor Senior Stratmaster

I had a crazy room mate who after a fight with his girlfriend (mid 70's)
    and destroyed the phone......I found an unused old phone at work they let me have (although bell system property), I took it home and figured out how to rewire it to work in a residence.....I asked for a ring back and it worked......a few years later I applied and started working for the phone company as a tech.

Phone work was so easy I could do it in my sleep......retired now, so I never really worked a day because it was so much fun figuring out what was wrong and fixing it. I hated working indoors and despise office politics so I found my place in the world doing what I liked. (always playing guitar in between times).

simoncroft, Neil.C, JamesE and 6 others like this.
  11. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-O-Master

My college education was in Political Science and my career goal at the time was law. I decided to join the USMC instead of going right into law school, both for financial and patriotic reasons. I was assigned to logistics and found that I liked the statistics and the computerization of the work. After my obligation was done, I spent a couple of years learning statistics and information systems in graduate school. In this process I found I had an aptitude for software development and that's what I've been doing for over 30 years now. I've turned down management roles since dealing with corporate BS like endless meetings and TPS reports isn't something I enjoy doing.

The real question right now is if I will be able to continue to do this work I enjoy until I hit my planned retirement age of 72. Will my health hold out? Will the BS level reach the point where it makes it no longer enjoyable? Will the inherent instability in IT jobs cause issues? What about ageism?

12. tzigu-migu

tzigu-migu Strat-Talk Member

All, this has been one of the most interesting things I've read on this forum. Thank-you for sharing your histories-- the twists, the turns, the ups and the downs! (My working life has been so boring by comparison; basically 1 job.)

simoncroft, ukoldgit, LawFlow and 4 others like this.
  13. 2010cb

2010cb Strat-Talk Member

I’m 48, with 3 college degrees (2 done at night while working full time). For the first 6 years I was an engineer.

For the past 20 years I’ve had a job/career that pays quite well when I’m bringing clients/work in the door. Less so when not. Very high stress. The actual subject matter of the work is less important, as what rules the day is whether you’re bringing money in the door. With all the consolidation and employee mobility, it is easier to lose a client than to bring one in the door. Although some are brilliant at it.

If I’m lucky enough to do this gig for 6.5 more years (coinciding with my youngest graduating high school) then I’ll “retire” from it and do something different - I’ll be 55.

The goal is to buy a few acres in a location with a long-ish growing season, grow about half of what we eat, and to work part time (in something fulfilling) to cover health insurance, so that we minimize draw down on retirement/investments, but also to keep active in a positive way. This way, we can ease our way into “retirement” — not that I’ll ever necessarily fully retire until I’m forced to.

If my current gig doesn’t last another 6.5 years, who knows?

So, I guess you can say that I still don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.

simoncroft, Ruscio and Chuck8436 like this.
  14. 64 Tele

64 Tele Strat-O-Master

I decided in the 6th grade that I wanted to be a pharmacist. My dad's younger brother and dad's brother-in-law were pharmacists at the time. My dad and grandfather were both dentists and I wasn't drawn to being a dentist like them.
    I've practiced for 41 years, worked 2 years (full time) as a student intern while in pharmacy school, retiring from full time earlier this year (end of April).
    Yesterday may have been my last day practicing pharmacy, as I'd been working about 1 day a week since retirement. The BS factor has gotten pretty deep the last year plus. I'd originally planned to work another year, but woke up one day this January and told my wife that I'd pretty much had it.
    If I had to choose again, I'd probably do it again. 40 + years was a pretty good run.

On a music note...my claim to near fame was playing 2nd guitar slot in a backing band for Ronnie Dunn (pre Brooks and Dunn) back in 1984 with a group of Tulsa musicians for a show at Billy Bob's Texas.
    Rest of backing musicians (with exception of drummer, Jamie Oldaker who'd been EC's drummer for 9 or 10 years) were guys trying to break into business and were waiters or bar tenders who played music. They asked me what I did.... I told them I was a pharmacist.
    "no, what do you really do?"
    Guess they hadn't known any Tele playing pharmacists before :rolleyes:

15. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

We have an officer here that does drag, racing for DAREs 'Beat the Heat' program and takes the car around to show the kids at schools and stuff as well, as racing it. I'll find his name in a minute. He's fairly well-known around the country for it.

Edit: his name is Lt Tom Brown(of Caddo or Bossier Parish Sheriff's Office, I believe). He had a badass Mustang 5.0 last time I spoke to him. He was friends with another guy here that passed away recently, Jose Zeda, who had a shop here and was involved with Beat the Heat, as well. There's a thing for Jose at their website. Hot Wheels(edit: not HW. Johnny Lightning) even made a copy of Jose's "Beat the Heat" Blazer with a Rotary engine from an old Mazda in it.

https://www.beattheheatinc.org/

A magazine spread of Jose's Rotary shop that's been a staple here for over 30 years. When Jose passed last year, he had a warehouse with over 300 rotary-engined vehicles in it. I can't find a pic of his Blazer but here's the Johnny Lightning Die-cast version of it. They put his Blazer on their "GMC Typhoon" die-cast. I always thought about going by and having Jose sign it but I never did and can't anymore.

s-l400.jpg

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a...on-of-rare-rotary-cars-for-sale-in-louisiana/

What you don't see in the pic below is the half of an RX7 that Jose mounted to the front of the building. The entire drivers side of the car was attached to the building. I always thought it was the coolest thing as a kid. It's mounted above the roll-up garage doors.

Screenshot_20210924-074231_Brave.jpg

16. Green Craig

Green Craig Senior Stratmaster

The crazy thing to me is the scale of things. Some of the smaller mom-n-pop operations can fit their entire brewing capacity several times over inside one of our smallest tanks. BUT, even though we distribute internationally, you can fit our entire capacity several times over in the smallest tanks of brands like Boston Beer Co, Sierra Nevada, or Bells.

Chuck8436 likes this.
  17. Dreamspace

Dreamspace Strat-Talk Member

I have one degree in Electrical/Automation Engineering, and one in Business.

The plan was to join the oil and gas industry, but we entered a bust cycle just as I was finishing up - so those plans were scrapped. In the end I joined the defense industry - pretty decent, minus some of the natural restrictions that you just have to live with. Right now I'm toying around with the idea of pivoting to a more data science / engineering role, maybe switch industries. Finishing up a Master's Degree in Applied Math (towards Machine Learning) on the side.

Am I happy? Sure, it worked out in the end. Pay is good, flexible days, lots of days off. I worked a string of either terribly uninteresting dead-end jobs, or back-breaking manual labor jobs, during my younger days. Sitting in a chilled office sure beats that.

18. space

space Strat-O-Master

Electrical Contractor for 30yrs
    Futures Trader for the last 8yrs
    Love them both

simoncroft, Neil.C, Tone Deaf and 3 others like this.
  19. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Strat-O-Master

I knew my freshman year of college. I was 28 (returning adult student). I discovered that I love to write. I have had to take a few non-writing jobs along the way, but I have been happy in my career (Even though the money is not top dollar I never dread coming to work).

20. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

I can't do this without dedicating at least two A4 pages to the subject.

So I'll try to one-liner it.

The last 20 years have been in IT. Currently a global networking HW vendor in Sunnyvale.

The rest of it - you don't wanna know. It's an epic tale of one disaster after another, and nearly all of my own doing.