What careers did you choose? Would you say you're happy?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Chuck8436, Sep 23, 2021.

1. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

Send me a private message if you want. I may be able to give you a little further insight. What area of the country are you in?

Chuck8436 likes this.
  2. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris

whatever you do, dont move to lawton.
    i was born there and left when i was about 18 or 19. it was crappy then, and its crappy now. worst town ive ever lived in.

Chuck8436 likes this.
  3. Chuck8436

Chuck8436 Senior Stratmaster

I'll keep that in mind. What was crappy about it?

4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

There is a little truth that an unhappy person can and maybe will be unhappy no matter the circumstances. BUT, having a career that doesn’t leech every drop of joy out of your life, will make you happier. I’ve made 3 job moves in the last 4 years. Family business to in-office medical job, to at-home with the parent company.

Each one has been a very positive step in my stress levels and overall mental well being.

yes, most factory workers make more than me, and a lot of other fields. But whatever. Wouldn’t trade it for anything but full-time guitar playing, if that were an option.

And it’s not as if practicing law is a guaranteed millionaire salary. Lots of them are struggling, too.

you only get one life, and an undetermined amount of years. No way in hell I’m going to be spending those years hating and cursing every minute spent at work.

5. heltershelton

you name it.
    there is no mafia.....the cops are the mafia there. there were one or two good ones but the rest were not.
    there are tons of drugs and crime there and if you live there you better carry a gun. lots of gangs too.
    the only good thing about it is the wichita mountain wildlife refuge. well, it used to be....now its over regulated and you cant do jack out there.
    i have gone back to visit several times over the years and each time im reminded of why i left in the first place.

Chuck8436 likes this.
  6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-O-Master

Fortunately I realized that if I had gone to law school I would most likely end up mostly doing dreaded paperwork for partners in whatever law firm I worked for. That's what had happened to friends of mine who had graduated law school while I was in the Marines and why I went different career direction.

Chuck8436 likes this.
  7. Chuck8436

Yeah, that sounds pretty bad. Are the tornadoes in OK as frequent and crazy as I have read? I'd rather not move there if my house was likely to get destroyed. I worry about my cats too

8. heltershelton

there are quite a few tornadoes. sometimes really bad ones. it gets super hot in the summer and super cold in the winter.

Chuck8436 likes this.
  9. Chuck8436

Sounds lovely

heltershelton likes this.
  10. Packrat

Packrat Strat-Talker

Clinical Engineer.Great career. Retired early. Bought 160 acres in the mountains. Poor as a church mouse.
    my current career is picking fly dung out of pepper. It keeps me busy...:).

JB74, ukoldgit, Tone Deaf and 4 others like this.
  11. Chuck8436

160 acres? Damn. That sounds great

Packrat likes this.
  12. Agtronic

Agtronic Senior Stratmaster

This album was on regular rotation in our house growing up. Fond memories.

Chuck8436 likes this.
  13. Torvald

Torvald Strat-O-Master

Happy as a clam at high tide. Originally I went to college to study architecture, then engineering. My dad was an engineer and college professor. Dropped out and went into construction. After a couple years partnered up with an older guy and did remodels, additions, and eventually custom houses. Along the way the wife and I bought a couple fixer uppers and rented them out. Tore down the shack she lived in when I met her and built new. Rented that too. Always had an aptitude for building stuff. College actually helped in that construction math is like very simple trigonometry and I had that down.
    Long story short, I retired after 39 years as a general contractor, owned my own home and 3 rentals. Two of the rentals are paid off. Sold the other one. So with my SS check and the rental income we're pretty comfortable. For a while I thought quitting college was a mistake but from where I am now it doesn't seem like it.

Tone Deaf, Ruscio and Chuck8436 like this.
  14. HTSMetal

HTSMetal Strat-Talker

I started playing guitar in 2000 at age 15 and quickly realized it was what I wanted to do with my life. Even still, I paid attention to my studies and ended up with a full ride to college, which I took advantage of while playing in two bands that had a modicum of success in the early 2000s. I got to see the inside of the music industry while signed to Sony/ATV Records and had the opportunity to tour the U.S. and Europe for a short time, and finished a Bachelor's in English in 2008, fully expecting to become a teacher of some kind.

I spent a few years working in IT and graphic design for a number of companies, but by 2013 I was disgusted with corporate culture (never fit into it whatsoever) and still chasing the dream of being a musician. I took a gig as a guitarist with a Broadway act that popped up out of nowhere and toured with them for three years; out of that came a number of new connections and an opportunity to become a music director at a large church in my hometown. I jumped at the opportunity and for the past five years I've played guitar every Sunday and directed a worship band. I ain't rich in cash, but I'm well taken care of financially and extraordinarily wealthy in time and satisfaction; I kept my dream alive and while it isn't exactly what I thought it would be when I started, I wasn't afraid to adapt to where the needs were and I can finally say that I've made it as a musician.

15. Agtronic

Agtronic Senior Stratmaster

That's a entire blues album right there. Jokes aside, you write very clearly. Have you ever written professionally?

Chuck8436 likes this.
  16. GhostJam47

GhostJam47 Strat-Talker

I do financial and underwriting analysis for a reinsurance company. There are parts I like (building dashboards and some light programming) and parts I like less (our archaic data infrastructure leading to lots of frustrating manual work), but overall definitely happy.

It's a pretty good balance of: utilizing my strengths, being somewhat engaging, and paying the bills which is all you can really hope for. The people I work with are pretty good at the moment as well.

If I could do it again, I'd probably go into data science and try to work for an NFL team doing advanced analytics, but overall can't complain.

17. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Silver Member

After high school, I did about 1 year of junior college while working at wal-mart and felt I was going nowhere so I joined the USAF with the intention of doing 4 years, getting some educational benefits, then getting out. Four years turned to eight, then I went through a divorce and felt I needed some stability so 8 years became 12. By that point I realized I was half-way to retirement (you can retire at 20 yrs in military) so I ended up staying 21 years and loved it. Retired from USAF in 2013 and landed a great job as a field service planner for a company that makes a machine for the oil & gas industry. Been with them since and they treat me pretty good so no complaints.

tery, albala, Jimi Lightning and 8 others like this.
  18. nigelr

nigelr Senior Stratmaster

I was at a UK College in 1985 not having any plans when somebody offered me a job working for a huge telecoms company. I took it and still worked in telecoms (but different companies) until the end of last month when I was let go. At times I've taught Guitar and English language on the side, which was a lot of fun. Had over 400 guitar students over the years.
    I was thinking I would start up the teaching again officially and what happens? Somebody offered me a job working for another huge telecoms company, so that's me until retirement I guess.

I've been happy and unhappy over the years. I would say I got lucky because although technology moves on, I've never had to change industry.

19. Ruscio

Ruscio Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

This'll be an interesting thread to catch up on later, for now I'll add my story. While in high school and college I worked in a restaurant (dishwashing + food prep) and one summer with the USPS. I went to school to become a teacher, once I got there I quickly decided I wanted to be a professor instead (more kids want to be there + learn something in college than in high school). Went to grad school to get a PhD, was able to get hired as a professor, and it's worked out well for my first 23 years on the job. There are aspects I don't enjoy, such as committee work and the politics (literal and figurative), but working with my mind, being (mostly) my own boss, and having so much autonomy and flexibility more than make up for it. Even though it's technically the same job I've been doing the whole time, I have a lot of freedom to choose what I'll study and teach each year, and I've changed that up quite a bit over time. The pay isn't great, but it's also not bad, and the job security is hard to beat. No regrets about this career path.

EDIT: Professor of what? Probably should've mentioned I studied social psychology and most of my teaching and research has been about (a) statistical/research methods and (b) how we make judgments and decisions.

tery, Flat Tire, Tone Deaf and 2 others like this.
  20. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member

I came home from college in Dec '93 and went to work for an insurance broker. He was a Life / Health 'guy' but focused on Life insurance. His clients would ask him if he knew anything about Health insurance and he didn't want to leave it on the table, so he would say 'yes' and would become the Health insurance broker. Back then, health insurance was good and cheap, but it required a lot of service work...which the Broker didn't want to get involved in. He just liked to sell.

That was where I came in. I loved fixing the problems. I would spend hours on the phone with insurance companies, correcting billing issues, claims issues...everything that the client didn't have the time or desire to deal with. I saw that by keeping a client, we kept making a commission. Not only that, but as a client grows, so do their premiums...and the commission.

Eventually I got my Life and Health insurance license.

In 1997, I became friends with a guy named Dave. Dave worked for a family business selling whatever product they sold, which I saw as garbage. If Dave was great at selling garbage...he would be a wiz at selling insurance.

I convinced Dave that he should leave the family business and start selling insurance with me. He would sell, I would service...it's a winning combination.

On 2/3/98, we formed our LLC.

By 12/13/99, I had to take Dave's half of the business away from him. He did some not-so-nice things.

Both of these dates are very important to me.

Since getting rid of Dave, I have continued with my little LLC to this day, managing and growing my block of business.

I work from home and have for the last 15 years. All I need is a computer and a phone.

I am surrounded by my guitars and amps. Occasionally they call me away from work for a jam session.

Since 1999, I branched out from Health insurance to include Life, Disability, Long Term Care, and Annuities.

About 7 years ago, I decided to get my Property and Casualty license. This allows me to sell Home, Auto and every other kind of insurance that there is.

My existing clients were only too happy to let me look at their other insurance policies, or take them over as broker.

This has given me so much more of an audience to speak to...now I can talk to anyone and everyone.

Everyone has some kind of insurance policy or policies, many people hate their insurance and they think they are paying too much, and a lot of people don't have a Broker, just a company.

I always knew I wanted to be my own boss with a house full of guitars.

Insurance has allowed me to be all that, and to live a life of financial freedom so I can go fishing whenever the hell I want.

tery, Tone Deaf, Mouse and 2 others like this.