What careers did you choose? Would you say you're happy?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Chuck8436, Sep 23, 2021.

1. pazman6

pazman6 Senior Stratmaster

I was good at math in High School and decided to become an engineer to make good money. Did a 4 year detour in the Army as an officer since they paid for school. I just retired after 31 years of working as an engineer in chemical plants and refineries. The financial rewards were excellent and allowed me to retire at age 56. I am very happy with my chosen career path and the security in retirement it has provided me.

Clickitysplit, tery, Nate D and 5 others like this.
  2. keys88

keys88 Strat-Talker

I've been working as a professional graphic designer and photographer since 2002. For the first decade of my career I worked in-house for a couple different product distributors. Then in 2012 I decided to go into business for myself. Most days I enjoy it. I have some great clients and they keep me fairly busy. And since I work for myself I have a flexible schedule.

The funny thing is I started college as a music major. My main instrument was actually piano (hence my username) and my major was music business. But I started to feel like I was over my head in the music department so I ended up switching to a marketing major. I had always been kind of an artist too so I picked up a graphic design minor. That was the first job I could find after I graduated so I just stuck with it. I picked up photography along the way out of necessity because my company needed good photos for our catalogs and advertising.

Chuck8436 and Ruscio like this.
  3. ibdrkn1

ibdrkn1 Senior Stratmaster

Lol. I haven't even actually looked yet.

I'm off the frame of mind that grass is just grass. It always looks greener from a distance but once you're standing in it you can between the blades right down to the dirt.

It's not the job that's getting to me it's the management style, which I describe as "Mom and Pop Shop" sprinkled in with things they read other companies do on the internet..

My mind is blown that this is a Multi-National billion dollar organization. Currently, my CO. has an 85% turnover.

Chuck8436 likes this.
  4. jball85

jball85 Strat-O-Master

24 and no.

5. systolsys

systolsys Strat-O-Master

Loved science at school. Always said I wanted to be a scientist. Went to Uni. Studied maths and physics. Started a PhD... discovered that academia was all about filling in paper work and chasing money to fund the next years research and scratching the back of people you know to try and advance your career... and all the lofty altruism was bollocks and could do the same *****y crap in industry and get three times the money.

Fell into IT because I could spell "computer". No real plan. It was something to do while I worked out what I should be doing... and been doing it for 25 years. Have been flown around the world. Had some awesome times. Also had enough redundancies that I need two hands to count them. But currently it means I can sit at home and work remotely in a different country, and am currently seriously looking at spending a few years as a digital nomad. I love to travel, immerse myself in other cultures and learn languages, and my job enables me to do that.

If I could have my time again I probably would have advised myself to have enrolled in electrical engineering... but whether that would have been a happier path, I don't know.

My happiest times was during my relationship. My greatest misery was when it fell apart. Your job is important because you spend around 25% of your week there. But you spend over 30% of your time in bed, so fundamentally, choosing your mattress ... and who you share it with ... is more important than choosing your career. It's a lot easier to change a job than change a partner.

Chuck8436 and JamesE like this.
  6. JamesE

JamesE Strat-O-Master

Never had a plan, things just seemed to come my way. I used to think I'd be rich/famous/successful one day. Now I'm married with 3 great kids - I wouldn't change a thing.

RaySachs and Chuck8436 like this.
  7. Stonetone

Stonetone Most Honored Senior Member

Cart Hotdog vendor ..i like it but....

[​IMG]

:D

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  8. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

I'm sitting here watching A Hard Day's Night and remembering why.

It also helped that my Dad was a composer. It's the family business. :D

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  9. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

I had no plan, I lived in the country with my uncle, cousin and grandmother.

One day while hunting my uncle was shooting at some food and oil started pouring out of the ground.

We moved to a really big house in California and I still have no plan, just enjoying life day by day.

10. Handsome McClane

Handsome McClane Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Spent the '80s working in an office as a technician for a big oil company (not planned). Spent the '90s and most of the '00s making wine in Napa and Sonoma (yes, it was an awesome job and no, it wasn't planned either). Got two DUIs and had to cut alcohol out of my life, including my wine career. Now I teach Special Education to severely disabled kids. It's fun and rewarding, and I get to help people.

Been sober 15 years as of this last Labor Day. Feeling good, mellowed out, guitar playing is better than ever; life is good. Now I'm just trying to build up some fundage so I can retire in 10 years.

11. Sixstringer107

Sixstringer107 Strat-O-Master

The Endless Mountains Of Northeastern Pa.
    When I graduated from high school, I wasn't interested in the military. I looked into maybe a career with the state police. I went down to the barracks and talked with them. I was told that I'd go to the academy, come out, and be immediately placed in the Philadelphia metro area, and the pay started at $23,000 a year. I wasn't dedicated enough for that. So, I was going to go to diesel mechanic school. I went into some program that was paid for by the city I lived in, and they placed me as a civilian in an Army Reserve shop. I did so well there, with high recommendations by the top brass there, that they placed me in the front of the line to go into diesel school. Paid for.

Well, I got my g/f pregnant, got married, so there went that. I now needed to support a family. So I got various jobs working on cars, worked for the township, through a county backed program called the CETA program. I forget what it even stood for.... County Employment Training Assistance or something like that. After that ended, the unemployment office send me to a truck driving school, paid me for it, and paid mileage and everything, so I said ok, sounds good to me. I already had my class 3 license (before the federal commercial driver's license was a thing) but they let me go anyway, I just didn't need to take the test to get my license.

So, I got a job driving truck, and I said, "well, this will be temporary until a good, decent career comes along". That was 40 years ago.

Yep, still driving truck. It's one of those jobs that you get stuck into, because nothing else really paid that well, unless you had a decent education and skills. But, currently at 27.00 an hour, driving an automatic within a 15 mile radius with a live floor trailer and home every night in my own bed, I can't complain.

Would I have done things differently? I don't know, I can't really answer that. My mother couldn't afford to put me through college, and I never asked her to. I wasn't interested enough anyway back then. See above sentence about getting my girlfriend pregnant, that will tell you what I was interested in :D Sure, at times I guess I wish I had done things differently and had a six figure career all my life, but my kids all turned out great, I was able to provide for them, and that's all that matters.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    tery, elduderinoTF, Wound_Up and 3 others like this.
  12. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Strat-O-Master

This.

Nobody can cook eggs, pick pumpkins, or shovel horse crap better than me.

Chuck8436 likes this.
  13. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

My daughter knew she wanted to be a doctor when she was 5-years old and, at 33, has been one for the past couple years, after 3 years as a resident. Oh, to have had such clarity so young. My wife knew she wanted to be a teacher from her earliest memories too. My other daughter and I had to try some stuff and figure it out a bit more slowly.

-Ray

14. RickySchmidlin

RickySchmidlin Strat-Talk Member

Saw Easyrider at sixteen and decided I was wanted to be a filmmaker. Later I got to work with both Dennis Hopper and Peter Fonda and thank them for their inspiration. If you good me Rick Schmidln at Wikipedia you will see my dream came true!

15. Jim Carl

Jim Carl Strat-Talk Member

The last thing I ever wanted was to go into construction, but cabinet making sounded interesting (what did I know?). I was able to find a job working in a local cabinet shop back in 1997. Within about 3 months I was moved out into the field and I've been a finish carpenter ever since.

In 2010 while the housing market was in a mess I decided to go back to school. I eventually decided that bio-mechanical engineering was the career path for me. I enjoyed all the chemistry that I took, especially spending my afternoons in the chemistry lab (I'm always happiest when my hands are busy and I'm most miserable when I'm stuck behind a desk with a stack of papers in front of me). I was able to get my degree in chemistry but after graduating from college what I really wanted was to go back to being a carpenter.

I went to college in San Jose, CA and after graduation I was able to get hired by a company that specializes in cabinetry and millwork in some of the most valuable properties in CA. Many of the the clients that I worked for in the bay area were billionaires and nearly all have their own wikipedia page. Makes me laugh.

About a year and a half ago it was time to leave California (Hooray!), I landed in western Colorado and I'm working in Aspen. I started my career in Utah but I've also had the opportunity to live/ work on Maui, Silicon Valley, and now Colorado. I've worked on renovating state low-income housing units, spec and custom residential homes, and some of the most high-end estates in the western United States. I prefer the extreme high-end.

I love working on projects that are awe inspiring, and especially love working for clients who appreciate the extra attention to detail and are happy to give you all the time it takes. I find that the people in low income housing projects really don't care about anything pertaining to my work (as long as you don't steal their weed, no joke, this actually happened on one of my jobs, wasn't me though), the people buying their first starter homes are happy with anything and everything (no challenge there), and those buying middle-of-the-road spec homes and moderate custom homes are only happy when the work is fast and cheap.

Jim

StratMike10, albala and Chuck8436 like this.
  16. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

Very miserable.

Wound_Up likes this.
  17. Chuck8436

Chuck8436 Senior Stratmaster

That's a shame. We're in the same boat, currently. Emotionally, anyway.

Wound_Up and StratoMutt like this.
  18. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

C'est la vie.

Chuck8436 and Wound_Up like this.
  19. jwag

jwag Strat-O-Master

My Father owned a Transmission Shop, I worked for him for doing everything from janitorial work to running the business during that time.

I’m currently a Commercial Building maintenance Supervisor.

I honestly didn’t plan on doing either, I wanted to be an Architect…I wanted to design building’s and structures.

The only career path I chose was playing music. I never cared to, or tried to make it professionally, I just wanted to play good music and be successful on the local scene….and did that at a fairly high level for well over a decade. Getting ready to do it again.

Chuck8436 likes this.
  20. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

To the youngsters on this thread who are trying to decide on future, I'd offer the same advice as I have to my son:

1. If you have a vocation, follow it. Most people don't and regret it.

2. If an opportunity arises, take it. It may not be part of your "master plan" but you never know where it's going to lead. Working is better than not working.

3. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and do a job you hate, just to get by. I spent the first 3 years of my kids lives working away from home a lot of the time - we needed the money. But that money put my son through university and he became the first person in our family with a degree.

In my experience every job becomes a chore. You just have to learn to live with it.