What do you do for a living?

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by 79olympicwhite, Nov 25, 2019.

1. 79olympicwhite

79olympicwhite Strat-O-Master

Always looking for something interesting to read, so if you don't mind me asking what do you stratocaster players do for a living? Im 32 and both my parents are general contractors (build spec house from the ground up to sell mostly now a days) So starting at 12 l had to work summers to try to teach me and keep my ass outta trouble lol (real authority issues) so lve been doing construction from then on. For myself some, for them some and alot of others some....l play my strat everyday...write and record in studio some..... 20190117_183255.jpg 20191123_133439.jpg it helps me stay sane.....How bout you? Heres my amp 64 ga invader 30rvt and my newest strat 77 Greco Suoer Sounds

Bowmap, Yaralag, Silvercrow and 6 others like this.
  2. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    If you do a search I'm pretty sure at least one thread will pop up.

3bolt79 and 79olympicwhite like this.
  3. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I work for one of the 3 letter broadcasting networks in NYC.

I used to work in tech support for the editorial department in one of the internal production companies but got transferred to the main News division into DPS which is Digital Production Services. Basically I monitor the servers and adjust workspace size as needed, import media, figure out why things aren't working, transfer media to our different bureaus and affiliates around the country and in London, sometimes do feeds if there's no time to wait for a file transfer for a news story and provide frontline support for the editorial staff. I prefer where i'm at now. If i don't feel like troubleshooting anymore I can make a call to the support department and pass the buck LOL.

I used to be an audio editor in a posthouse but 911 dried up the indie film market at the time so I shifted to tech support for ProTools and Avid editors. It was a good move for me because whenever layoffs happened, the creatives were the first to go and I was always safe.

Now I have the job security of a major network. It can be heavy on the politics given where I'm at but I keep a low profile.

I'm happy with my job.

I commute from PA to NYC which kinda stinks though.

4. jack mccarthy

jack mccarthy Strat-Talk Member

I work in a bomb factory.

A while back a peanut butter sandwich was found in the radome of a field return.

Exciting times.

Also, when I’m not working the factory floor, I’m a PowerPoint Engineer. [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  5. misterwogan

misterwogan Senior Stratmaster

I was a software developer who ended up in management at Reuters, Accenture, Oracle, SAP. Now I do contracting - six months working, six months producing music.

fretter, Bowmap, Silvercrow and 4 others like this.
  6. shupe13

shupe13 Senior Stratmaster

I retired from the military and now I'm a LEO.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

fretter, Bowmap, Silvercrow and 3 others like this.
  7. Speedmaster

Speedmaster Strat-Talker

Cog at a desk in Corporate America. When I’m not replying to or forwarding emails or copying charts from Excel into PowerPoint I’m on conference calls asking someone if they’re talking on mute.

guitartwonk, fretter, Bowmap and 8 others like this.
  8. RoyC

RoyC Strat-O-Master

Retired, Used to be a layabout.

Polarbear, Bowmap, Silvercrow and 8 others like this.
  9. himijendrix

himijendrix Senior Stratmaster

I've been retired for 7 years.

I used to be a thermal design engineer working on cooling systems for aircraft engines.

Bowmap, johnnymg, Silvercrow and 5 others like this.
  10. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Most Honored Senior Member

Architect....though pretty much retired now....

down to 2 clients that offer a couple projects a year to keep the mind fresh...I still enjoy the design aspect of the career....not so much the drudgery of the working drawing side of a project, leave that for the younger ones out there....:):)

11. StratMike10

StratMike10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm an licensed electrical engineer, been doing consulting/design work for the last 25 years as a one-man show after working 10 years at the space center.

Despite the stresses of being too busy and the occasional long hours, it has been a good way to pay the bills.

I have an office 3 miles from my house and bring my dog to work with me, I don't have to adapt to any corporate culture, and my work hours are whatever I want them to be.
    I have some cool projects at the space center with Spacex, NASA, Blue Origin, and others, and also get work from the local government, health care sector, manufacturing, and other local business. I have learned the virtue of patience from dealing with the high volume of demanding arseho… characters that my clients can be. And although the bear share of the work is not exactly glamorous and can often repetitive, I can play any music I want while working and take breaks whenever I choose to play guitar or walk my dog.

In retrospect I'm kind of glad I listened to the old man and stuck with school. My rock n roll dream had to be surrendered as payment, but now I don't mind as much... back then it was a sacrifice, today it seems more like a blessing. The rewards of the job outweigh the aggravation, I can see myself never retiring, just slowing down over the next 20 years to find more time for my family and hobbies while keeping productive and making a buck until they find me dead on my desk, holding my strat while taking a break from work.

Polarbear, fretter, Bowmap and 10 others like this.
  12. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I am a telecom network monkey.

13. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

Now a days I move money around hoping to make more money, prior to that I worked for some very large tech companies and prior to that I was a chef.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  14. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster

I’m a physical therapist and work as a VP of operations for my company. I travel for work which makes things tough on the home life with the wife and family as well as getting enough time to play and practice.

15. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Insurance man

16. GuitsrGeorge

GuitsrGeorge Strat-Talker

Retired since 2001.

Before that, I was a technical writer with Reuters here on Long Island.

17. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Retired lazy, good for nothing idle bugger.

18. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Retired mercenary .

19. Thunderhopkins8

Thunderhopkins8 Senior Stratmaster

I’m too crazy to have a job.

20. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Retired from USAF. Now working as a field service planner/scheduler in the oil and gas industry,