What do you like on pizza?

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
Damn! There are some old names in this thread. @mw13068 if you ever pop in, I miss hearing you play. I learned a lot from you!

As for the pizza, I mostly go with a basic Margherita but I'll sometimes go with sausage or prosciutto.

StratoMutt

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2019
SE Pennsylvania
Usually I like a bunch of toppings on my pizza, but sometimes something more minimalist like that can be good too.
Simple is good.

Used to love pepperoni, but gave up beef and pork about 20 years ago for ethical reasons. A few places make a chicken pesto white pizza that is glorious. Love a cheese only Sicilian too.

Bowmap

I nose a thang or two.
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 23, 2017
3rd door down.
Pizza stone …. I got fooled….
And it is a convection oven. Most gas or electric commercial pizza ovens have separate temperature controls for above the baking deck and below. To mimick this, I pre-heat for two cycles in conventional mode at 475F. This gets the stone properly heated through. As soon as the pizza goes in, I switch to convection at 500F. Every oven varies so it takes a couple runs to dial it in.

I spent about 6 years of my youth in an Italian pizza shop and later restaurant. The family taught me how to cook.

Oh I forgot to mention toppings. My wife likes just cheese so that is the norm. However, anchovies, kalamata olives and onion when she is not having any.

StratoMutt

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2019
SE Pennsylvania
Simple is good.

Used to love pepperoni, but gave up beef and pork about 20 years ago for ethical reasons. A few places make a chicken pesto white pizza that is glorious. Love a cheese only Sicilian too.

Don't forget the pepperoni
If they start making fake pepperoni maybe. I tried the Impossible sausage patties. Quite pricey but surprisingly good.

Slacker G

Senior Stratmaster
May 16, 2021
Iowa
Good pizza cheese and sauce on thin cracker crust adorned with pepperoni, mushrooms, onion chips, sausage, ham, canadian bacon, red/green bell peppers, black olives, jalapeno pepper slices, Serrano pepper slices, Cayenne pepper, with an appetizer of Mary Jane on the side while waiting for the the pizza to get done.

CalicoSkies

Most Honored Senior Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 10, 2013
Beaverton, OR, USA
Simple is good.

I'm curious why chicken is more ethical than beef and pork, but I have a feeling that may be against the rules to discuss on Strat-Talk..

Eric_G

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Quebec
And it is a convection oven. Most gas or electric commercial pizza ovens have separate temperature controls for above the baking deck and below. To mimick this, I pre-heat for two cycles in conventional mode at 475F. This gets the stone properly heated through. As soon as the pizza goes in, I switch to convection at 500F. Every oven varies so it takes a couple runs to dial it in.

I spent about 6 years of my youth in an Italian pizza shop and later restaurant. The family taught me how to cook.

Oh I forgot to mention toppings. My wife likes just cheese so that is the norm. However, anchovies, kalamata olives and onion when she is not having any.
Great to know, I’ve made note of it. how do you define 2 cycles ?

dante1963

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Apr 28, 2016
St. Louis
Mushrooms and enough cheese to make my doctor give me a stern lecture.

I also like the only a little sauce. And the pizza should be well done . The little crispy brown cheese bubbles are the best part.

Bowmap

I nose a thang or two.
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 23, 2017
3rd door down.
Great to know, I’ve made note of it. how do you define 2 cycles ?
The 1st is when the oven gets to temp. , then it will idle. Eventually it will lose heat and start heating up again to bring it back up to temp. When it reaches temp again. it has done 2 cycles.

It is really about giving the stone enough time to heat through and store heat. Once you put the pizza on it, the stone cools where the pizza touches it.

Last edited:

StratoMutt

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2019
SE Pennsylvania
I'm curious why chicken is more ethical than beef and pork, but I have a feeling that may be against the rules to discuss on Strat-Talk..
Totally agreed - it really isn't. I do not eat a lot of chicken or turkey but that is my compromise. I tell myself that is better than eating most meats like I used to.

Then there is veganism. If I could, I would.

Last edited: