What do you use to clean your strings?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by KBH123, Jan 13, 2021.

1. surfnturf

surfnturf Strat-Talk Member

Practice ;-)

Boubou and StratoMutt like this.
  2. Jasco

Jasco Strat-Talker

Agreed. I change strings once a week or two gigs - whichever comes first - for gigging guitars, and usually 1 day before a recording session for recording guitars. Nylon strings excepted - about once per 6 months for those.

Cerb and Stratoskater like this.
  3. rockon1

rockon1 Senior Stratmaster

Ice spray wax. It does have silicone in it.I dont spray it on though. I spray it on a rag and individually wipe the strings.
    That said I dont concern myself with worrying about a bit of silicone getting on the fretboard. Its not going to disintegrate, lol.

eclecticsynergy likes this.
  4. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Senior Stratmaster

Thanks; it's on sale right now for 70% off at Advance Auto Parts.
    Might grab some tomorrow.

rockon1 likes this.
  5. rockon1

Its been a lifesaver on our kitchen cabinets too. Had the kitchen redone 2 1/2 years ago. I was concerned about white cabinets. I am a mechanic, always have dirty hands somehow. Decided to try the Ice on them. Well they still look great, like new- nothing stains them-coffee, tomato sauce, nothing. I give them a light going over with it every month or two. So far its good for cars, guitars and kitchen cabs, lol!

6. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Senior Stratmaster

I've sometimes wondered about the recent generation of advances in car finish products for guitar.
    Most of them likely contain silicone, which will penetrate nitro and can make for problems down the road. But for a poly finish, maybe a high tech ceramic polish that repels dust & water and lasts a long time could work well.

Might try out the stuff someday... On a cheap guitar.

7. joebloggs

joebloggs Strat-O-Master

Nothing...but I do wash my hands regularly.

8. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Strat-Talker

I keep a polishing cloth in my case and wipe it down after playing. I also avoid playing with grease or dirt on my hands.

9. Jason D

Jason D Senior Stratmaster

If strings need to be cleaned, they need to be changed. They’re cheap and I like my guitars to sound good.

10. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

I always wonder about you guys that have like 20 guitars (or more)
    String changes can be an expensive game, even 4 guitars is expensive for me.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  11. rockon1

Dont have any nitro guitars. Use silicone based products like Ice for over 30 years no problems. Silicone wont harm nitro but its my understanding it might make future finish repairs difficult. Hard to get off and if the finish is checked probably impossible. Then again I imagine virtually any polish would be problematic on a checked finish.

12. Gonflyn

Gonflyn Strat-Talker

Fast Fret, everytime I play. Strings have a horrible corroded sticky feel if I don't.
    I have a tin of it from about fifteen years ago, whenever it starts to dry out I dump a teaspoon of mineral oil in the bottom - supposedly that's mostly what Fast Fret is - and let the applicator soak it up, good to go for another year or two.
    God I'm such a cheapskate.

13. Boubou

Boubou Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I just don’t get how adding oily gunky stuff to your strings and fretboard can be called “cleaning” .
    Not only are you adding oil but now every piece of dust and airborne particles is going to stick to it.
    But hey, if it works for you, go for it.

14. StratBratUK

StratBratUK New Member!

I always scrub my hands before I play.
    Only need to clean the strings after a sweaty gig/session. Which now is... Never

15. johne1

johne1 Strat-Talk Member

I'm a Fast Fret user, too.

I have the Nomad String Cleaner coming today or tomorrow. I'm trying it because it can wipe all 6-strings at the same time and it's refillable. I'm hoping it will be a time saver and have a cleaner + lubricant that's as good or better than Fast Fret.

16. Powerslave214

Powerslave214 New Member!

Washing your hands before playing and wiping the strings down before/after really does go a long way.

The Music Nomad String Fuel is really good stuff. Works very well. So does the Lizard Spit string cleaner. I've used both, and they do the job.

17. chas3rd

chas3rd Strat-Talk Member Gold Supporting Member

I let the funk build up, scrape it and make tea with it once a month. Yammy!

Scott Baxendale and Boubou like this.
  18. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

I “clean” my strings by replacing them. I would never use a product with silicone in it such as finger ease.

19. Boppy

Boppy Strat-Talker

When I was kid, I used emery-cloth. Skrannnnnk.

20. Boubou

Boubou Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Just a reminder, putting a product on something does NOT clean. To clean you need to REMOVE dirt from the said object.
    Some products help to REMOVE dirt from objects, others just add to the layer of dirt.
    An example is when you wash your car. Squirting soap on the car does not wash the car. The soap helps loosen the dirt to remove it. Said dirt is removed when you rinse the car with clean water.
    Carry on