What does the average guitar tech make?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by seanskull92, Jun 28, 2010.

1. seanskull92

seanskull92 Strat-Talker

have an opportunity to take an apprenticeship from a master luthier(spelling??) which also includes a guaranteed full time position once complete. i was wondering if this change in careers is a good idea or not. yes i kno getting paid to work with guitars sounds awesome but does it pay as good as the title sounds?

2. seanskull92

seanskull92 Strat-Talker

edit: the position is in a busy shop doing set ups and repairs.not on the road with a band

3. sevycat

sevycat Custom Shop Cat

Go to the source and ask them what the projected earnings will be once I have completed training and am able to do the work with limited supervision.

Then ask around to others in the field and see what rate they are making. You can decide for yourself if this is a career that you would like to take on. I can tell you this much, working for yourself will earn you the most rewards and headaches.

4. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

Sounds like a dream job. I think if you live in a well populated area, you could do ok. In my area its a little rural and my tech lives in a very humble house. It works for him and his family, but its humble in a humble neighborhood. You may want a bigger house.

5. Hugh

Hugh Got Cluck ?

Go for it ! If it pays the bills, why not ? Only the boss can answer that though. Ask:)

6. Hugh

Hugh Got Cluck ?

Ain't that the truth !

7. scotzoid

scotzoid Senior Stratmaster

Well, there's the story of the luthier who won the lottery, who, when asked what he planned to do with all that money, said, "I guess I'll just build guitars until the cash runs out..." :rolleyes:

8. seanskull92

seanskull92 Strat-Talker

thanks for the input guys. im gunna speak to him over the weekend and see whats what. hes been a family friend for years so im sure ill get it straight with no bs. ill let you guys know how it goes.

9. scotzoid

scotzoid Senior Stratmaster

Good luck with that. My guess is that it's not great pay, but they say if you find a job doing what you love, you'll never work another day in your life.

10. O)))

O))) Banned

Whether or not this is a good idea depends on what you already do for a living, what jobs skills you have and what your level of education is.

11. problem-child

problem-child Senior Stratmaster

Be careful. I used to have a hobby that I loved until I turned it into a business. Money, international notoriety, and status in the industry followed. I don't love that hobby anymore. I sold that business and have never touched the hobby again.

12. peskypesky

peskypesky -------

Knitting?

13. mahler

mahler Strat-O-Master

Hahaha! I liked that one :D.

14. problem-child

problem-child Senior Stratmaster

How did you guess?

15. T-Bodz Terry B.

T-Bodz Terry B. Most Honored Senior Member

Yeah, me too ..... My Old hobby became Work! The Adult Film Industry was
    wearing me out! I left the Hobby as well .... LOL:) Just kidding guys!

Couldn't resist...

Asian Persuasion

16. Ghost of SRV

Ghost of SRV Strat-Talker

T-Bodz, classic, lol'ing so much my coworkers are looking at me funny.

17. bettsaj

bettsaj Senior Stratmaster

working as a tech in a shop won't make you rich but may lead to other opportunities.... A guy I know started out life working in a shop as a tech then ended up working the tour circuit.. It'll help get your name put about, If you're good, once you're in you're in. Most of the techs I know work on a self employed basis, so the world is your lobster regarding what you earn.

my tech Dave Edwards has been self employed since the early 80's and now works as tech for a number of people including myself. When he's not on the road playing or teching he's working from home doing set ups and the like. He works like nobody else I know....... He has bugger all spare time! but earns sh*t loads.

18. flyingace

flyingace Strat-O-Master

I've found myself falling into a role of Guitar Tech for many musicians in town, word of mouth stuff, as there is no one else in town that they can trust to do it. My biggest worry about it, especially with new customers that I don't personally know, is "what if I damage their instrument, by accident of course, and can't afford to replace it?" Can I afford to get insurance for this? Does anyone offer it? it's tricky, several of the guitars i've worked on so far were brought to me by their owners, we looked it over together, I have them play them a little, show me what's wrong, what they want fixed, etc. I then give them a quick diagnosis and what I feel we should do. I give them a rough estimate of price and a full detailed email later after I have a chance to really inspect. What has amazed me is once you start digging into someone's guitar, you find all kinds of unexpected things wrong. One neck thing scared me so much I had to stop working on it and call the guy. He was aware of the crack but didn't think a thing about it, didn't think it would be harmful. I was no going to adjust the truss on a LP style neck with a crack under the nut, NO WAY! I restrung it, and gave it back, but I didn't get paid for my time either.

Just be careful.

19. tonyw

tonyw Senior Stratmaster

How much you make will depend on how good you are.

20. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

Tony where have you been?