what good is a “friend”?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by largo, Jan 11, 2009.

1. largo

largo Strat-Talker

okay, this is another post that shows my ignorance, but this time it’s ignorance of the ins and outs of online communities. of course i’ve heard about “friends” in the context of forums such as this one, but, as much as i hate to admit it, i don’t know how to go about making one, nor do i know what to do with one once i have him.

last week i had several requests from members to be my friend, but i didn’t know what to do with those requests. i eventually got around to figuring out how to approve them, but i haven’t heard anything since, and i don’t have the first idea about what to do with this feature of online community.

so, putting aside the embarrassment of asking a dumb, technologically unsavvy question, what good is a “friend”? :oops: what can you do with a cyberspace friend?

(FWIW, while i’m ‘fessin’ up, i have the same problem with myspace and facebook. i’ve had requests from real world friends to be their cyber friends on these forums, but i’m not signed up/registered/whatever, and i don’t know the first thing about it.)

sorry if this is posted in the worng place. i didn’t think this came under the heading of “Forum Problems or Issues.”

2. Orbit

Orbit Senior Stratmaster

It's the buddy system, isn't it ?
    when one of your friends gets some gear, you get some, too.
    That's what bud's are for, no?

3. aznrambo481

aznrambo481 Strat-O-Master

To be completely honest, I think it's because of the contest. With that being said, I don't think it means much. Not an obligation to drink with them.

4. largo

largo Strat-Talker

"when one of your friends gets some gear, you get some, too."

:D Orbit, sounds liek a good deal to me! i'd certainly agree to that arrangement if soemone could finance it for me, or help me talk the wife into it! ;)

5. asc67

asc67 Senior Stratmaster

You can never have too many friends.

6. largo

largo Strat-Talker

"To be completely honest, I think it's because of the contest. With that being said, I don't think it means much. Not an obligation to drink with them."

:confused:

aznrambo481, i'm not sure why you say that. this feature exists and has exitsted in other forums and communities that have nothing to do with the contest. i was asking a question because 3 members here contacted me privately to have me be their friend, and it took me days just to figure out how to approve their requests (y'all know who you are, and i'm sorry i'm so technologically ignorant), and i still don't know what to do with these cyber relationships now that they exist.

7. largo

largo Strat-Talker

"You can never have too many friends."

sage counsel, asc67. i'm just trying to find out how to go about having and being a friend in the cyberworld.

8. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

Largo, I have you on my friends list and I'm still waiting to be invited over for some good kentucky bourbon and guitar talk. ;)

9. aznrambo481

No, I understand that the "friend" thing isn't because of the competition, but the premise that people are friending you might be. Suppose that friend-making got you "points"... people would be "friending" others in order to get higher in the rankings. For example, the same system exists on the tdpri and I have never gotten a friend request there in the 4 years I have been a member.

10. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

Have you considered that it might be your deodorant or mouthwash? ;) Sorry, couldn't help myself. I think because this is a new forum a lot of people are looking around to see what all the features are. I've been adding friends from people that I've had good conversations with in threads. I didn't know the feature existed here or on TDPRI until someone sent me a friend request here.

11. aznrambo481

alright, it was probably harsh of me to accuse everybody who "friends" people to be a point-stealing cheater. But it seems like this is more predominant here and now than in every other forum I've visited... of course it could all just be chance.

12. largo

largo Strat-Talker

aznrambo481, those seeking cyber "friendship" may very well be thinking that they will get points for doing so, but i prefer to think that that's not their only reason. by that same logic, i should be suspect of every new thread started and every post made to existing threads, and i'm just not willing to be that cynical.

members of this forum are of course aware of the contest and the points thing, but a $300 Squier, nice tho it may be, is hardly worth 3 months of posting like a madman just to have a chance at a drawing. if you think of the hours invested in gaining points as worth even just $10 an hour, 30 hrs of posting and whatnot = the price of the prize. and from what i've seen, it will take a lot more time than that to get into the top 25, and that's only if the points advantage given to members from before the so-called contest starting date don't wind up taking all 25 slots.

i gotta believe that people participating in this forum, whether viewing, posting, "friend-ing" or whatever are doing so because they want to interact with others about Strats and other related (and sometimes off-) topics, and the contest is just a nice bonus.

FWIW, the friend requests i've received--from rocks included, since he has owned up to his request to me--have all come after good dialogue in discussion.

13. aznrambo481

Fair enough. I am way too much of a cynical person, and can take it too far. I'm sorry if I have offended anybody.

14. largo

largo Strat-Talker

aznrambo481, your last post (#11) came thru while i was still writing my last post (#12), so i didn't have the benefit of your latest thoughts before i wrote mine. i find your choice of words interesting, that "friend-ing" as i choose to call it is = stealing points and cheating. i realize your backing off the accusation of calling "everybody" who "friends" "a point-stealing cheater," but in truth neither term applies. "friending" for points is a legitimate point strategy according to the rules, so it is neither stealing points from anyone else nor is it cheating.

15. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

I've had more people send me friend requests than I've sent out. I don't know what good it does other than the fact that its easier to PM someone from a friends list than to try and find them on the forum and PM them. I'm guessing some of the friend requests I received was because of the contest. Others were from people that we enjoyed each others comments in threads. I'm also guessing that there is a larger ratio of younger people on this forum and that may contribute to the amount of friend requests too.

16. largo

largo Strat-Talker

aznrambo481, boy you're fast! every time i finish composing a reply and post it, you've already beat me to it. i'm grateful for your conceding points and backing off earlier statements, and i'm not trying to belabor the point even after you've conceded it. you're just faster than i am.

17. aznrambo481

Haha I guess I'll take that as a compliment :D I'm spending my day on the computer trying to get some work done for a class, so I can't help but pop in every now and then to see what's going on.

18. largo

largo Strat-Talker

"Largo, I have you on my friends list and I'm still waiting to be invited over for some good kentucky bourbon and guitar talk."

"kentucky" bourbon for a guy from Ohio? doesn't that acceptance of a product of the Bluegrass State defy Buckeye/Briar competiveness? :p ;)

19. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

Nothing, and I do mean nothing stands between me and Kentucky bourbon! I'm a sucker for sour mash. :D

20. largo

largo Strat-Talker

"Nothing, and I do mean nothing stands between me and Kentucky bourbon! I'm a sucker for sour mash."

so, is "rocks" short for "on the rocks" then? :p ;)