Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

What have you Bass'd today?

Discussion in 'Ace's BASS Place' started by Dan_Q, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Dan_Q

Dan_Q Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 26, 2016
    NW UK
    Hi all,
    Not sure if this will be popular but thought I'd start a thread to try and encourage some bass chat on here
    Feel free to post about the latest bass line you are learning, the latest bass your GASsing for, if you are fixing or maintaining your bass or bass equipment- anything goes

Wayne D. likes this.

2. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Working on original music, punching one of my songs in the face for not working right, playing the inexpensive but useful Yamaha. I think this song is turning into something that my son will be able to play his super funky licks on.

D

Hash McBrown and Dan_Q like this.

3. Dan_Q

Jan 26, 2016
    NW UK
    So, I haven't played bass regularly for years until earlier this month when I was asked to take one to a jam, I really enjoyed it and came away with a list of basic lines to learn.
    However, on return from the jam my spare bass had developed a rattle and the volume pot started only working at max so before (as much as I'd like to) I rush off with an excuse to replace it, I thought I'd give it a bit of love.
    It's an 80s or 90s p bass copy by encore, ive had it around 12 years and it is bone stock.
    [​IMG]
    I didn't replace the strings as I didn't want to invest in a set incase I decided to replace it, so just removed the bridge. The frets were scarily messy!
    [​IMG]
    That said they cleaned up pretty nice.
    The volume pot was loose so re-mounted it (still had pickguard plastic under so prob never been off) and it now works, but with a crackle.
    All done and with a headstock flower!
    [​IMG]
    And the main thing is the horrible rattle I was getting from the g string has now gone- woohoo! It's just in general nicer to play with the polished frets and oiled fretboard.
    No more GAS for a replacement or a case to take my main bass now, so we'll see how it goes for now- might even treat it to new strings soon if all is well
    Thanks for reading

Hash McBrown and Mansonienne like this.

4. Dan_Q

Jan 26, 2016
    NW UK
    Nice work dado, far better use for a bass than just making noise like I do, hope the project goes well
    How is the Yamaha? @Mansonienne was talking about a Yamaha not long ago, maybe she would appreciate your thoughts?

Mansonienne likes this.

5. Dadocaster

Dan_Q, my kid went bass crazy over the last couple of years and since he lives partly at his mom's place and partly at mine, he needed more than one bass to play. Consequently, we played loads of basses in the stores. I think also because when he looked more kid like, he enjoyed scaring people with his slap bass prowess. He has a Sterling Sub and an Ibanez at his mom's I have a cheap Yamaha and a Bronco here. The Sub is a beast, heavy, fat tone, sustain, power. The Ibanez has some lovely high end that makes slap really sing. The Yamaha is a good all around bass, not too heavy, nice and comfy.

There are bunches of good choices these days.

D

Mansonienne and Dan_Q like this.

6. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Strat-Talker

Jun 30, 2016
    Heart O' Dixie
    Tele-jag Jazz with 700w bi-amp Hartke:

bass.jpg

Dan_Q likes this.

7. Dadocaster

It's nice that your friends in Europe are able to hear you.

D

8. Dan_Q

Jan 26, 2016
    NW UK
    Nice one dado, sounds like he has quite the tool kit there
    Ha ha with that hartke I wouldn't even know which buttons to press- very impressive sir!

9. dogletnoir

dogletnoir Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 1, 2013
    northeastern usa
    i play some bass... but lately more baritone, 6 string and 7 string stuff.
    Maybe i should get back on the traditional 4 string, although i'm really tempted to try fretless.
    Yes, i know, that's crazy talk, but...
    Here's something with me doing the 'bass' part on the baritone guitar:

Actually, it's all me... drums programmed by me, rhythm guitar and lead guitar by me, also.
    this one is a collab between myself and @alainvey, a fusion tinged bit of madness he came up with:

Me on the baritone guitar low end once again.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016

10. Dadocaster

It's been touched on here several times and I am still kind of in a "learned my lesson" kind of thing on the bass amps. Most here know that my kid and I play drums, bass and guitar in the spare room, we switch off and the kid is young lanky and vigorous and plays drums that way. :D He also plays bass in a metal project with some other youngsters. The 50 watt bass amp that I bought us is not really sufficient. Got a super smoking deal on an old 100w 15" Yamaha and that's more like it. I not longer think people are nuts for pushing a lot of watts when playing bass.

D

Dan_Q and Mansonienne like this.

11. dogletnoir

dogletnoir Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 1, 2013
    northeastern usa
    Yes, you need that oomph on the low end!
    The old standby Ampeg SVT was 300 watts of thumpin' bass power.
    They still make them, but i think most modern bassists do prefer solid state to tubes.

12. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Been messing around with this bassline a bit:

Hash McBrown, Dan_Q and Mansonienne like this.

13. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Dig it. I play an HA-3500 myself. :cool:

14. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

Funny you should ask.

Couple days ago I decided to dive into my ~1970 Rivoli (EA 260 actually) since the neck pup stopped working. I figured it would be the switch, since for the last several months it would cut in and out as I fiddled with the switch.

Strings off, took pup out, and there's your problem! Didn't even need the multi-meter.
    [​IMG]

Patched in a short piece of spare wire, and it's back in all it toney business.
    [​IMG]

While the strings were off, I stained (ebony stain from Stew Mac, really black India ink) and oiled (Stew Mac Restoration Oil) the fretboard, polished the frets with Flitz and polishing wheel on the Dremel, polished the body and strung with La Bella tapewounds.

15th fret and higher polished.
    [​IMG]

All frets and board done.
    [​IMG]

Whole bass done. Spreader that looks like chrome is actually rosewood shining with the oil I conditioned it with.
    [​IMG]

Hash McBrown, Mansonienne and Dan_Q like this.

15. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Strat-Talker

Jun 30, 2016
    Heart O' Dixie
    Ha! I bought the kid a 15" 220W combo, that barely kept up with a loud drummer, and decided to upgrade. The older heavy bulky stuff is easily had now days - why not? Plus, it looks cool - the bass btw is a short scale, making the rig look a little taller.

Hash McBrown likes this.

16. Dan_Q

Jan 26, 2016
    NW UK
    Lumbergh- that's an awesome bass line, how are you getting on with it? I'm positive I couldn't hit those notes quick enough!
    Jay- nice work on that lovely rivoli looks like a glorious instrument
    I went to a guitar show yesterday and saw my fave bass- a trader had a second hand one but I still couldn't afford it I came away with some strings and some kluson ferrules. I didn't get a pic but this is the model I saw- although I do prefer the non road worn version
    [​IMG]

17. Dan_Q

Jan 26, 2016
    NW UK
    Ps I forgot to ask- proper noob question- is there any way of telling what gauge bass strings I have on?
    I think I may have re strung it once but it was that long ago I really can't remember just want to replace like for like if I can

18. mikej89

mikej89 Strat-O-Master

May 12, 2016
    River Falls, WI
    If you bring your bass into a music store, most will have a way to measure for the right size.

Dan_Q likes this.

19. Dan_Q

Jan 26, 2016
    NW UK
    Not a bad idea at all that, I've no idea why I never thought of it myself! I'd also purchase a set from my local shop so I'd kill 2 birds with one stone. Cheers

20. Hash McBrown

Hash McBrown Senior Stratmaster

Mar 15, 2012
    Southern Illinois
    I really like tapewounds. They were on the first bass I bought, a Squier J-bass I got for I think $80 and they threw in a gig bag. I liked the feel of them so well I put them on my Am Std. J Bass as well. The T-Bird has flat wounds just so it would be different.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016